• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Domestic Contracts.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Auckland: Aaron Barnes, Tama Canning, Paul Hitchcock, Llorne Howell, Tim McIntosh, Rob Nicol, Craig Pryor, Gareth Shaw, Brooke Walker, Kerry Walmsley, Reece Young.

Canterbury: Neil Broom, Wade Cornelius, Stephen Cunis, Andrew Ellis, Peter Fulton, Chris Martin, Michael Papps, Aaron Redmond, Gary Stead, Shanan Stewart, Warren Wisneski.

Central Districts: Campbell Furlong, Bevan Griggs, Lance Hamilton, Brent Hefford, Jamie How, Peter Ingram, Michael Mason, Jesse Ryder, Andrew Schwass, Craig Spearman, Glen Sulzberger, Greg Todd.

Northern Districts: Graeme Aldridge, Matthew Hart, Nick Horsley, Gareth Irwin, Hamish Marshall, James Marshall, Bruce Martin, Mark Orchard, Grant Robinson, Gareth West, Joseph Yovich.

Otago: Craig Cumming, Chris Gaffaney, Gareth Hopkins, Robbie Lawson, Marcel McKenzie, James McMillan, Warren McSkimming, Mohammad Wasim, Nathan Morland, David Sewell, Jordan Sheed, Jeff Wilson.

Wellington: Matthew Bell, James Franklin, Richard Jones, Chris Nevin, Iain O'Brien, Michael Parlane, Neal Parlane, Jeetan Patel, Andrew Penn, Matthew Walker, Luke Woodcock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hopkins Contracted with Otago
Hitchcock and Warmsley to Auckland
Robbie Frew misses out and Anderson unavaliable in Canterbury.
Donaldson misses out for Wellington.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess the big one is that Paul Hitchcock opted to return to Auckland where their strength is pace-bowling.

Otago also lost Walmsley to add to the exodus from the south.

And the fact that Jesse Ryder has scored a contract with C.D after only 1 season suggests that he could be on track for an NZ cap later in the year.

Craig

World Traveller
Why is that? Didnt you expect him to get him a contract? I will be hoping Jeff Wilson shows what he is made of.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I see now that Jarrod Englefield has headed back to Central Districts after a pretty lean period at Canterbury.

Englefield was considered to be NZ's brighest star a couple of years ago after he started off with an average of 77..but then he moved to Canterbury & fell away.

On the subject of Ryder..he only played half a season for Central last year so to be given a contract is quite a big deal. I think his talent is well underlined though & he'll be exciting to watch this coming season.

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Domestic Contracts

If Jesse Ryder Was selected for nz later this year, i think it would be a mistake. Too Often in nz selections we have seen a young talent, and said, "quick lets put him in the nz team". Several of the current team, have still not learnt how to score a hundred, their is an art in it, Eg, Steve Waugh took 27 tests to score a hundred and even longer to do it consistently.

Lets leave him in The cd team, and maybe a couple of years later , when he is more experienced. That would benefit Jesse Ryder and new zealand cricket in the long term

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Nice first comment Darrin, and welcome to Cricketweb!

May your stay be long and enjoyable.

Craig

World Traveller
I think the selectors have fallen into the trap with the success with Vettori. He was picked after two FC matches, and has been a success.

Buttler was picked last year and hasnt exacatly been a raving success. Rob Nicol is surely next in line, I couldnt believe he was not taken to Sri Lanka.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the jury is still out on Nicol..while he's got a fantastic FC record to date, he needs to put back to back seasons together & maybe also improve his OD statistics which are quite poor reading.

I think the major shock was that Tim McIntosh didn't make the tour to Sri Lanka.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well...

McIntosh averages 40 after 3 & a half seasons of FC cricket for Auckland.

Rob Nicol averages 46 after a season & a half of FC cricket for Auckland.

But its an opener NZ desperately need so in my mind McIntosh was the bigger shock...add in the fact that he is Mark Richardson's opening partner for Auckland.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I fear for Otago, I really do.

although i guess that this might bring out the best in Goldie, because he will feel like a more experienced player and there will be more demands on him, which i think he will thrive on. he was a bit of a failure last season but he was an outsider really...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ Cricket need to address this problem...Auckland definately have taken advantage of this new system & are spending up on good players...Both Hitchcock & Walmsley are NZ 'A' and even NZ candidates but they are likely to be available for the majority of the domestic season.

I just don't think NZ cricket needs the similar problem of club football where 3 or 4 teams dominate & the rest are left to fight financially because they just don't have the players to pull the crowds or get the results.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I see Canterbury Offered Neil Broom a contract. If I am right he has only played a couple of games.

I don't have a problem with Ryder being rushed into the Black Caps. He is a good player and people were saying the same about him playing for CD as a 18 year old. I think Ryders ODI record lets him down a little. If he has another season like this one he will get there though. He was always going to be offered a CD contract this year.

As for Butler. I don't he was rushed in too young, well I think he was ready. He showed glimses of class however he hadn't played a lot of First Class cricket. He was quick and thats waht we need.

One that has stuggled since being rushed in is James Franklin. He was strggling to make the Wellington team at the start of last season.

Jeff Wilson. I don't think he will play for the Black Caps again because
1) He is getting quite old to be starting at FC cricket again.
2) We have alrounders like Styris, Cairns, Oram, Adams, Mills, Canning in the mix. We don't need any more and those guys are going to be around for a while.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Umm since when has Central Distrists played one day international cricket? I never knew they were a country. If you mean domestic one day matches, just call them List A, it seems to work.

nibbs

International Captain
how many people here actually give a toss about domestic cricket in NZ. I know that I don't. I usuallu watch the Shell Cup/State Trophy final but thats it it. NZ Cricket needs to do something to make NZers more interested in the game, if they want NZ cricket to go up another level...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I do give a toss. I follow every game. I suppose that because I am in the Cantebury set up and I know a lot of the people playing, that I care more.

I would like to watch a Canterbury vs Auckland game just as much as a NZ vs someone game.

Sorry craig that was meant to be OD cricket rather than ODI ..

Craig

World Traveller
I do. It is very important, because the players that play well might be handed a black cap with a silver fern on it in place of somebody who has been in the team for ages but hasnt done much.

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Domestic contracts

Buttler is a fine prospect. I remember Richie Benaud saying once, "that you base your attack around genuine pace and aggressve spin". Not a truer word was said. However he has been mucked around by the selectors and their inconsistency.

The way they brought the young Buttler in was impressive from the selectors, gradually. Which is usally in stark contrast to what they usually do, put too much responsibility on some too early. This process of bringing young players in i agree with.