Thread: Seeds of recovery being sown in Zim?

Pinball Champion!

Seeds of recovery being sown in Zim?

Campbell appointed chairman of selectors | Zimbabwe Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

That and a few other encouraging articles have emerged out of Zim. Lets hope this leads to a consistant raise in standards across the border.. Definitely have no qualms about Zimbabwe being welcomed back into test and T20 cricket if they can prove themselves to have decent structures in place.. The likes of Heath Streak, Andy Waller and Alistair Campbell being formally involved in the rebuilding of cricket there can only be a good thing..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Is it not more to do with the political situation?

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by James_W View Post
    Is it not more to do with the political situation?
    Well it is partly to do with that yes, as a country's sporting teams are usually a reflection of the political situation, but cricket in Zim seems to be making some pretty big strides in the right direction, while the country as far as I've been told, is still languishing at rock bottom at the moment..

hope they do get it together.
    Cricket wise, i'd be more inclined to support them if they had the guts to front a full team for the IC. If they do that and win they can justify being allowed back to Tests, if not, they need to earn it and their spot should be open for the best team in the tournament.
    Kenyacricket blog: Building a better future for Kenyan Cricket
    Become a fan of Kenya Cricket.com on facebook :

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    There might be minor short term improvement, but I can't see anymore than that/don't actually want to see any more than that while the Mugabe regime remains in power. England, Australia and New Zealand will continue to refuse to tour and accept Zimbabwean touring sides and surely the dire economic situation will restrain any significant investment in cricket?

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    There might be minor short term improvement, but I can't see anymore than that/don't actually want to see any more than that while the Mugabe regime remains in power. England, Australia and New Zealand will continue to refuse to tour and accept Zimbabwean touring sides and surely the dire economic situation will restrain any significant investment in cricket?
    But should they still refuse to tour? Mugabe is still there, yes, but he is now more of a symbolic puppet/figurehead.. I think the shots are being called by the coalition government, the dollar no longer exists, and the police that used to intimidate have largely disappeared.. You can now walk down the street in an MDC t-shirt whereas you couldn't a year ago.. Aid agencies and governments are considering rescue packages to help rebuild the country.. If this is on offer, and security can be guarenteed, shouldn't countries think twice before refusing to tour?

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    But should they still refuse to tour? Mugabe is still there, yes, but he is now more of a symbolic puppet/figurehead.. I think the shots are being called by the coalition government, the dollar no longer exists, and the police that used to intimidate have largely disappeared.. You can now walk down the street in an MDC t-shirt whereas you couldn't a year ago.. Aid agencies and governments are considering rescue packages to help rebuild the country.. If this is on offer, and security can be guarenteed, shouldn't countries think twice before refusing to tour?
    Surely choosing to tour now would be legitimising the current regime - i.e. before was unacceptable, now is acceptable? It could just end up being hijacked by Mugabe for propaganda purposes.

Practically it may be possible, but the moral dilemma remains. Plus the British government will not like it and I can't see the ECB choosing to tour, even if the Foreign Office takes its usual painful position on the fence.

Been doing it recently?

Security forces probably too busy robbing the mines.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    From todays newspaper. Mugabe loyalists step up politically motivated attacks on MDC activists
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

In a cricketing context I think things are looking up. I've felt more positive about how things are going than I have for years. It helps that David Coltart is in charge of the sports ministry because he won't stand for any politicking with the various representative teams- Campbell's appointment, and Houghton's recent return to coach for half the year are examples of this.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Thread Information