• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Seeds of recovery being sown in Zim?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Campbell appointed chairman of selectors | Zimbabwe Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

That and a few other encouraging articles have emerged out of Zim. Lets hope this leads to a consistant raise in standards across the border.. Definitely have no qualms about Zimbabwe being welcomed back into test and T20 cricket if they can prove themselves to have decent structures in place.. The likes of Heath Streak, Andy Waller and Alistair Campbell being formally involved in the rebuilding of cricket there can only be a good thing..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Is it not more to do with the political situation?
Well it is partly to do with that yes, as a country's sporting teams are usually a reflection of the political situation, but cricket in Zim seems to be making some pretty big strides in the right direction, while the country as far as I've been told, is still languishing at rock bottom at the moment..

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
hope they do get it together.
Cricket wise, i'd be more inclined to support them if they had the guts to front a full team for the IC. If they do that and win they can justify being allowed back to Tests, if not, they need to earn it and their spot should be open for the best team in the tournament.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
There might be minor short term improvement, but I can't see anymore than that/don't actually want to see any more than that while the Mugabe regime remains in power. England, Australia and New Zealand will continue to refuse to tour and accept Zimbabwean touring sides and surely the dire economic situation will restrain any significant investment in cricket?

Langeveldt

Soutie
There might be minor short term improvement, but I can't see anymore than that/don't actually want to see any more than that while the Mugabe regime remains in power. England, Australia and New Zealand will continue to refuse to tour and accept Zimbabwean touring sides and surely the dire economic situation will restrain any significant investment in cricket?
But should they still refuse to tour? Mugabe is still there, yes, but he is now more of a symbolic puppet/figurehead.. I think the shots are being called by the coalition government, the dollar no longer exists, and the police that used to intimidate have largely disappeared.. You can now walk down the street in an MDC t-shirt whereas you couldn't a year ago.. Aid agencies and governments are considering rescue packages to help rebuild the country.. If this is on offer, and security can be guarenteed, shouldn't countries think twice before refusing to tour?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
But should they still refuse to tour? Mugabe is still there, yes, but he is now more of a symbolic puppet/figurehead.. I think the shots are being called by the coalition government, the dollar no longer exists, and the police that used to intimidate have largely disappeared.. You can now walk down the street in an MDC t-shirt whereas you couldn't a year ago.. Aid agencies and governments are considering rescue packages to help rebuild the country.. If this is on offer, and security can be guarenteed, shouldn't countries think twice before refusing to tour?
Surely choosing to tour now would be legitimising the current regime - i.e. before was unacceptable, now is acceptable? It could just end up being hijacked by Mugabe for propaganda purposes.

Practically it may be possible, but the moral dilemma remains. Plus the British government will not like it and I can't see the ECB choosing to tour, even if the Foreign Office takes its usual painful position on the fence.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Been doing it recently?

Security forces probably too busy robbing the mines.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From todays newspaper. Mugabe loyalists step up politically motivated attacks on MDC activists

Chubb

International Regular
In a cricketing context I think things are looking up. I've felt more positive about how things are going than I have for years. It helps that David Coltart is in charge of the sports ministry because he won't stand for any politicking with the various representative teams- Campbell's appointment, and Houghton's recent return to coach for half the year are examples of this.