• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

U-19 Youth Asia Cup (World U-19 Cup qualifiers)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Cricinfo page dedicated to the Youth Asia Cup:
Youth Asia Cup ( U-19 World Cup qualifiers)

The guys did well today, Adnan Ilyas lives up to his promise. I was just on the phone to coach Mohammed Asim, the team are ecstatic !!! So I thought I'd log on and post....

I wish I were there with the guys to share this win, but I'm really happy for them. Still there are three matches left which are much harder, however I was in camp with these guys and I dare say Adnan isn't the best pace bowler, but he's got determination, brilliant control and a big heart.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
WOW!!!

168 and 6-16 - that is an incredible achievement at any level of cricket.

Report is a good read, too.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I just saw that the u19 team was here in Pakistan, was thinking maybe R_P would have made it to the team :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gotchya said:
I just saw that the u19 team was here in Pakistan, was thinking maybe R_P would have made it to the team :)
He did the LuckyEddie trick and injured his knee a few days before the squad was selected.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
He did the LuckyEddie trick and injured his knee a few days before the squad was selected.

arggh! must be frustrating! dont lose heart mate :P

will see ya here on the next trip :cool2:

Last edited:

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Latest news:-

Oman rout Thailand by 10 wickets. After bowling out the Thais for 52 in 23 overs, they easily chased the measly target in just 3.1 overs!!!!!:O :O :O :O :O

They fielded the same eleven but for allrounder Abbas Murthadha, who came in for Hussain Bilal who is the quickest young bowler in Oman.

Incredible legspinner Ansar got 4/9, he can at times be simply just too good, obviously today he was. Imran Younis being ever the accurate offspiner took 1/7, Adnan seems to be enjoying the tournament at the moment with 1/4 in 3 overs and a increadible 46 off 14 balls:O :O . Yash also got a wicket.

Oman's very own Flintoff got a game today, my collegue and best friend Abbas, he didn't get a chance to bowl or bat however...:D :D , no seriously he lost about 5 kgs in just two weeks.

Vignesh, a promising youngster, he is an offspinner who isn't afraid to flight the ball and a solid left-handed batsman and is just 15 i think.

I'm a little surprised that Salim didn't play, he is a flightly offspinner and has brilliant accuracy when throwing, right over the stumps. Sanjeet Kanojia also might get a chance against Kuwait, he really is an allrounder, he can bat, he is a very sharp fielder, an excellent part-time 'keeper, and can bowl good medium pace.

V Reddy

International Debutant
How many teams qualify thru this? Finalists? Nepal U-19 is a good team . It almost beat India U-19 in a 3 match series this year and India U-19 had 2-3 state players. Oman seems to be a strong team too going by the results. Which others have a chance?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nepal U19 I expect to be right up there, they were superb in the last U19 world cup, finishing tenth having lost the Plate final to a Charles Coventry-inspired Zimbabwe :)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Jacques Rudolph said:
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but R_Powell i am off to Oman in October... Cannot wait!
Oh thats great news! Remind me when the time comes so that we can arrange to meet somewhere if you want, are you coming on business or pleasure??

----------------------------------------
The format is as follows:-

Two groups of five play each other once as in a Round-Robin stage. The first and second from each group qualify for the semi-finals, then the finalists qualify for the U-19 World Cup.

---------------------------------------

Teams:-
Nepal U-19 are the best, Uae are very good, Malaysia seem to have improved greatly, Oman have also improved a lot,
the problem is we are mostly driven by star players such as Adnan Ilyas(Figures speak for himself), Syed Ansar Ansari (Star Leggie), Imran Younus(increadible fielder, our lynch pin batsman), Rafeeq (Captain, very sucessful captain, superb reflex catcher), on the other hand there are some players who have proven themselves.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Oman are defeated by both Kuwait and Malaysia..... we've missed out on a semi-final birth and thus the chance to compete in the U-19 World Cup....:( :(

Was it that complacency that set in, or the nerves, or were the opposition simply too good ?? Whatever, I'll find out when I meet the guys in the forth-coming week:P