• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You have a point about the trophy, but it's hard to feel much sympathy after the cricket-killing tactics the West Indies used to win it back.
England had their chances in that series, and West Indies have been beaten on similar pitches in the past. The fact that West Indies have barely won at home in an age is proof of that. Newsflash: the pitches have been flat in the Caribbean for a very long time now. The difference is that West Indies outplayed England when the opportunity arose and then actually made the best of pitches that they should not be struggling on. At times they just hung in, but they hung in all the same.

Basically, West Indies finally used home field advantage. India have done it for years, so why criticize West Indies for finally doing so? These are not the spicy, quick wickets of the past. You work with what you have.

England should have won that series, all things considered on paper. If anything the spirit shown by West Indies in that series was a breath of fresh air, rather than "cricket-killing".
I wasn't referring directly to you, but the feeling I get from the Caribbean is that if the West Indies had gone to England and won 2-0 it'd be hailed as a huge revival and assertion of dominance. But they lost 2-0, and it wasn't even a real series apparently.
I assure you that anyone who knows or cares about West Indies cricket knew that the team would lose in England this year.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I understand that Phillips is fairly new, but to me he's the incumbent now. I don't think the strikers should automatically walk back into the side without competition from those who answered the call.
Richards is also incumbent, and Barath very likely would have played this match if not for the strike. You pick your best players. Phillips played a good knock, but he has not done enough to prove that he is one of the best players in the region. Certainly you'd think he would have made much less than 94 if he played the same way against any other Test team. Fluent, the innings was not.

Uppercut

England had their chances in that series, and West Indies have been beaten on similar pitches in the past. The fact that West Indies have barely won at home in an age is proof of that. Newsflash: the pitches have been flat in the Caribbean for a very long time now. The difference is that West Indies outplayed England when the opportunity arose and then actually made the best of pitches that they should not be struggling on. At times they just hung in, but they hung in all the same.

Basically, West Indies finally used home field advantage. India have done it for years, so why criticize West Indies for finally doing so? These are not the spicy, quick wickets of the past. You work with what you have.

England should have won that series, all things considered on paper. If anything the spirit shown by West Indies in that series was a breath of fresh air, rather than "cricket-killing".
I call it cricket-killing when Pakistan or India do it too. When you stop trying to win games once you're 1-0 up in a series, prepare horrendous pitches that bring about 600 plays 700 games and stage the most boring tour in the history of the world, it's killing test cricket. And as such it's hard to feel sorry for them losing the trophy in a hastily-arranged two-game "series" (which England, incidentally, made every effort to win by more than 1-0). And let's get it cleared up- I'm no England fan.

shivfan

Banned
Richards is also incumbent, and Barath very likely would have played this match if not for the strike. You pick your best players. Phillips played a good knock, but he has not done enough to prove that he is one of the best players in the region. Certainly you'd think he would have made much less than 94 if he played the same way against any other Test team. Fluent, the innings was not.
True, but Richards was out for 13, and has done nothing so far to say that he deserves to stay on in the role....

In contrast, I think Phillips, Roach and maybe Best have all made a case for themselves.

I thought this thread was about the series against Bangladesh. Isn't there another thread that deals with the England series, which I, among others, felt should never have taken place?
8-)
And I know I'm not along in voicing my opposition to that ridiculous, truncated tour BEFORE it took place.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

I call it cricket-killing when Pakistan or India do it too. When you stop trying to win games once you're 1-0 up in a series, prepare horrendous pitches that bring about 600 plays 700 games and stage the most boring tour in the history of the world, it's killing test cricket. And as such it's hard to feel sorry for them losing the trophy in a hastily-arranged two-game "series" (which England, incidentally, made every effort to win by more than 1-0). And let's get it cleared up- I'm no England fan.
I don't think West Indies stopped trying to win games until the very last match of the series. And at that point, I think it's forgiven, if you think of how desperate West Indies were for a series win of any kind.

Fidel Edwards bowled his heart out in what was otherwise a pretty tame bowling attack. The fact is that England batted first consistently and made sure that West Indies would have to save the match from the time they started their first innings. Had the catching been better, West Indies could well have had a result in Barbados. As I said before, and it's quite obvious, the pitches have been horrendously flat for years now. It's just that the tourists have usually used them better than the hosts.

Mr Mxyzptlk

True, but Richards was out for 13, and has done nothing so far to say that he deserves to stay on in the role....
With only a little less luck, Phillips could have been out for about the same. Richards looked infinitely more likely to score runs in his short stay at the crease than Phillips did several times during his lengthy stay. As I said, it was a good knock, but think of how many miscued shots, LBW appeals, and lofted drives there were in that innings. There's still a lot of work to be done. He simply has to tighten up his technique to succeed in Test cricket. Had it not been Bangladesh, with two keys bowlers missing for the most part, he would likely have been out for less than 20, let alone 94.
In contrast, I think Phillips, Roach and maybe Best have all made a case for themselves.
Now Roach and Best I can agree with. Roach bowled stunningly in unfavourable conditions yesterday. He was accurate, consistently moving the ball, and changing up his pace. It was intelligence and ability like I haven't seen in a young bowler since Taylor burst onto the scene. Best was also very disciplined, bowling good lines at decent pace and understanding his limitations.

All the same, Rampaul deserves a proper run in the side before either of them.

stumpski

International Captain
Two wickets on the stroke of tea brings Bangladesh back into this, but they urgently need Mortaza back on the field. Another session without him could prove terminal.

shivfan

Banned
Yeah, I'm a fan of both Barath and Rampaul....

However, it's good to see Roach and Best giving Ramps competition, and I think Phillips is doing the same to Barath, which can only be good for WI cricket. I felt that Richards approached the match like it was 20/20 cricket, and looked at sea against spin. In contrast, Phillips took his time and played a Test innings. Yes, he had a bit of luck, but there were no dropped chances as far as I could see. He made good use of his luck, which is more than you can say for most of Gayle's partners to date.

Mr Mxyzptlk

A bit harsh on Richards really. I don't think he played any shot that the ball didn't merit. And as for his prowess against spin, he didn't get enough time to prove one way or the other. He only lasted a couple of balls against an, admittedly, above-average spin bowler. Chanderpaul's looked worse facing a couple of balls against Swann this year. But we all know he's no poor player of spin.

morgieb

Bloody hell.

If Bangladesh can't beat a West Indies 3rd XI (as well as losing to Ireland earlier this year), then I give up on any hope that Bangladesh has in world cricket.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
WICB spending a fair bit of change on publsihing ads in newspapers explaing their postions. Only other board to do this was Zimbabawe's. Oh dear. :laugh:

brockley

International Captain
Bangladesh bound to lose here,and thus lose their test status,the windies cricket board will send this team to the icc trophy in october seems gayle is officially sacked.8-)

Craig

World Traveller
I'm all for Bangladesh playing Test cricket, but the ICC should of stepped in and removed the series of Test status and made it just FC games only if the WICB couldn't put out the strongest side possible.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Run-rate's slowed right down in the last few overs. Usually means a wicket's on the cards where Bangladeshi batsmen are concerned.