• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in West Indies

Chubb

International Regular
I'm still baffled that Mortaza chose to bat. Surely that played straight into the hands of the Windies? You can't legislate for bad batting of course, but didn't he want to have a go at that line-up?

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Best looked good. When the big boys return (hopefully they dont make a IPL exodus), he should be 4th in the WI pecking order behind Taylor/Edwards/Rampaul.
Prior to this Test, and when WI had a full available pool of players to select from, where would Tino Best be in the pecking order based on domestic form ? I see he picked up 20 wickets at 25.90 in the 4-Day Competition, but was he realistically close to regaining a spot in the WI Test side? (I realise there were ICL complications, but based on form/quality alone).

This could really boost his chances of selection again in the future, when all players return, if he impresses in this Test

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prior to this Test, and when WI had a full available pool of players to select from, where would Tino Best be in the pecking order based on domestic form ? I see he picked up 20 wickets at 25.90 in the 4-Day Competition, but was he realistically close to regaining a spot in the WI Test side? (I realise there were ICL complications, but based on form/quality alone).

This could really boost his chances of selection again in the future, when all players return, if he impresses in this Test
The West Indies pecking order is usually based on anything but performance. Consider that Pascal and Baker were ahead of Rampaul, judging on the squad that went to England. And Rampaul was probably the best fast bowler in the competition this year. More than 30 wickets, IIRC.

Woodster

International Captain
The West Indies pecking order is usually based on anything but performance. Consider that Pascal and Baker were ahead of Rampaul, judging on the squad that went to England. And Rampaul was probably the best fast bowler in the competition this year. More than 30 wickets, IIRC.
I appreciate that such logic as form and performance is not always taken into consideration when selecting the WI side, but were there any murmurings surrounding Best and a possible return, or was he totally out of the picture ?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I appreciate that such logic as form and performance is not always taken into consideration when selecting the WI side, but were there any murmurings surrounding Best and a possible return, or was he totally out of the picture ?
Earlier this year he made a comment stating that he should be in the West Indies side, ahead of Daren Powell, I think. That was the extent of the murmurings really, given that he was ICL. Obviously he's been cleared of such sins now.

Woodster

International Captain
Bangladesh edging to 200 now, and with a pretty weak WI batting line-up, they won't want to let them get too far past it.

stumpski

International Captain
We won't know what a good score is until both sides have had a go, obviously, but in the circumstances 200 and not many seems absolutely pitiful.

Mortaza gone now, they really shouldn't be relying on him to get the runs as well as the wickets.

stumpski

International Captain
At least the tail's wagging, and Shahadat has his highest score, a good effort for someone who came into the match averaging seven.

Woodster

International Captain
All over for Bangladesh, 238 all out. Impressive figures for Roach 23-11-46-3, is this a quick bowler with direction too ?

Woodster

International Captain
A tricky 8 over period now for WI, with the inexperience at this level, it will be a boost should they come through unscathed. Mortaza will no doubt be fired up, so too Shahadat, and also buoyed by their contributions in getting Bangladesh to 238.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Richards off the mark with a six.

No-win situation this for Bangladesh: any win will just be attributed to the West Indies D team being out there; any loss will have the usual suspects demanding that they are kicked out.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
No way, pup. Cozier is thinking with his heart, not his brain. The issue at hand is that of a cash crunch. If the WI players haven't been paid for 4 series', the only explanation is a lack of funds (or the appearance of) at the WICB. Its now plain obvious that the ODI series against India was scheduled for the sole purpose of tiding over that crisis. Now that the series is over, and the WI players have held up their end of the bargain, they have demanded to see some of those earnings trickling down their way. They have been denied still, which reflects poorly on the financial incompetence of the fat cats at the WICB. Withdrawing from cricket for 3-4 years would sound the death knell for WI cricket; no play would equate to no income. The only solution, obviously unlikely to be put into place, would be to dissolve the current WICB and get a new set of board members installed.
Nah WICB have the money to pay the players they just messed up and asked for too little money from the ECB for the tour to England. Out of the 2 million they received for going the players were to get 1.48 mil. WIPA then asked for an extra 500K related to image rights. Figure is presumably that high because the IPL players had to be compensated but when the WICB were negotiating with the ECB they failed to think about the fact that IPL was at the same time. If they'd got 5mil no problems there.

There are some other outstanding issues too like injury payments and retainer contracts where the sponsors of the board have not been paying the WICB any money or the last 3 quarters because there's been delay in getting the contracts sorted. So basically the players have been playing without contracts.

Some other stuff there too and both sides have blame but I reckon the WICB take most of it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Shakib could get all 10 with the amount of turn and bounce he got. Windies have already lost their only nearly international batsman in Richards, so tall order for the rest to hunt down 238 and possibly get a lead.

roseboy64

Should certainly be interesting to see how these guys go against the spinners. Would so have wanted to see Barath, Richardson and Rampaul in Tests though.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nah WICB have the money to pay the players
I don't think so actually. The WICB is in some heavy debt. Paying players puts it further in debt. Of course, the players have to be paid, and the WICB will pay them, but that doesn't mean it can afford to.

shivfan

Banned
It is a shame, but Barath will get several other opportunities. You can be sure of that. If there had to be a player strike, and given the relationship between the two parties, it was inevitable, I'm happy it's against Bangladesh in the rainy season.

And let's drop the crap about the board alone being at fault.
Agreed....

I'm not impressed with the adversarial stance taken by WIPA.

I'm also less than impressed by the veiled threat Ramnarine made to Miller and Pascal.

roseboy64

I don't think so actually. The WICB is in some heavy debt. Paying players puts it further in debt. Of course, the players have to be paid, and the WICB will pay them, but that doesn't mean it can afford to.
Well who would know if they actually are. No accounts published by them in any Caribbean paper.