• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in West Indies

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mendis says a big no no.
Yeah I know Mendis rulz but I'd like to see more of him first, the few failures he has had make me wonder how well he will do in the long run. Am a believer though, just like to wave the Shakib flag.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I know Mendis rulz but I'd like to see more of him first, the few failures he has had make me wonder how well he will do in the long run. Am a believer though, just like to wave the Shakib flag.
I would also not think that Mendis is going to be SL's no 1 spinner after Murali. There are few threatening to overtake Mendis. Sachithra Senanayake, averahes 18.9 in FCC, Sekkuge Prasanna, Averaging 18.2 in FCC, Suraj Randiv and Rangana Herath all threten to overtake him.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, Sri Lankan domestic club cricket is hardly Sheffield Shield standard. And the pitches aren't all that great. I seem to remember Aravinda tearing it up there a few times.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Clive Lloyd talking sense...

According to Lloyd, the leading West Indies players had become too "greedy" for their own good and their performances failed to measure up to the "obscene" amount of money they are getting paid. "When you say the West Indies team is going to withdraw from a series it is not that they are short of money. We have players who are millionaires with an average of 15.00 and they are a first-team pick," he said. :laugh:

Lloyd was astonished about the fact that only three of the first-team players have a batting average of 35-plus [Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ramnaresh Sarwan and Chris Gayle]. "We have players who are being paid $500,000 or more and they do not pay a cent in any tax. We are the only country where players don't pay any tax."

Beamer

Clive Lloyd talking sense...

According to Lloyd, the leading West Indies players had become too "greedy" for their own good and their performances failed to measure up to the "obscene" amount of money they are getting paid. "When you say the West Indies team is going to withdraw from a series it is not that they are short of money. We have players who are millionaires with an average of 15.00 and they are a first-team pick," he said. :laugh:

Lloyd was astonished about the fact that only three of the first-team players have a batting average of 35-plus [Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ramnaresh Sarwan and Chris Gayle]. "We have players who are being paid $500,000 or more and they do not pay a cent in any tax. We are the only country where players don't pay any tax."
What a load of rubbish from Lloyd. The strike isn't even about money, it's about terms and conditions. He was a fabulous cricketer and a great captain but he often has extremely simplistic views on West Indies cricket.

Which player that is a millionaire is a regular member of this West Indies team averages 15? Jerome Taylor? He's a fast bowler who can bat ffs. Pollard maybe? Hardly a regular and earned his money based on 20-20 performances in our domestic cricket.

When he says things like that it begins to look like petty jealousy from the old players IMHO. Pathetic stuff.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What a load of rubbish from Lloyd. The strike isn't even about money, it's about terms and conditions. He was a fabulous cricketer and a great captain but he often has extremely simplistic views on West Indies cricket.

Which player that is a millionaire is a regular member of this West Indies team averages 15? Jerome Taylor? He's a fast bowler who can bat ffs. Pollard maybe? Hardly a regular and earned his money based on 20-20 performances in our domestic cricket.

When he says things like that it begins to look like petty jealousy from the old players IMHO. Pathetic stuff.
It is either him or Andre Fletcher but he is only a 20/20 regular.

I think Clive knows the score; it was only last year that he was still involved with the national team and it wasn’t like in his he day he didn’t have to put up with a weak board and island politics.

Beamer

I'm telling you, a number of the players from the 70's and 80's are jealous of the money players can earn nowadays. I hope Sir Clive doesn't come into that category but statements like the one you quoted would tend to suggest that he is.

The issues are a lot more complicated than the older players are letting on. Michael Holding in particular appears absolutely clueless on the issues and ends up just slagging off Ramnarine because he dislikes the guy.

I am very disappointed in these guys. Great cricketers but they are not covering themselves in glory with comments like those.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm telling you, a number of the players from the 70's and 80's are jealous of the money players can earn nowadays. I hope Sir Clive doesn't come into that category but statements like the one you quoted would tend to suggest that he is.

The issues are a lot more complicated than the older players are letting on. Michael Holding in particular appears absolutely clueless on the issues and ends up just slagging off Ramnarine because he dislikes the guy.

I am very disappointed in these guys. Great cricketers but they are not covering themselves in glory with comments like those.
Of course and some of them are now pleading poverty/smoking crack but Lloyd is a bit more than just a ‘jealous spectator’, as he was just there recently and has been heavily involved in West Indian cricket. Always seemed to me like a very proud West Indian but maybe I'm wrong.

Beamer

No, you are absolutely correct, he is a proud West Indian, he is just a little bit clueless when it comes to cricket administration IMHO. I don't feel he means the players harm really, he just got caught up with the issue and made some unfortunate, untruthful comments.

He is another example of the truth that great cricketing leaders don't neccesarily make great management figures off the field.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it just me or was that "average of 15" comment an intentional exaggeration to make a point? Seems pretty obvious that Lloyd wasn't talking a literal 15...

Beamer

But what point was he making? It seems like a malicious exaggeration to me. I really hate the bashing of the current generation of players by the old guard for no good reason.

Sure, bemoan the results, shot selection, fitness etc but don't make up stuff like that when the strike isn't even about money.

Those who think it is just about the players wanting more money clearly don't understand the issues at hand. I just expected better from someone like Sir Clive that's all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point is obvious. There are players being paid more than their performances justify.

EDIT: Lloyd may be focusing on the financial aspect, but that does not mean that he believes it's the only motive behind the dispute.

Last edited:

Beamer

Maybe so, but it has nothing to do with the current impasse. The strike is not about money earned, see Dwayne Bravo's interview for confirmation of that. The players are happy with what they earn, it is how they are treated that has caused the problems.

Do these players deserve the awful treatment they get from the WICB? Late payments, no injury compensation, no contracts.

The WIPA is stronger now that it ever has been before and therefore they are in a position to take the WICB to task. This was never the case in the 70's and 80's. It might not seem like it now but the action by the players will help our cricket out hugely in the long term.