• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Build-up to Indian Domestic Season 2009-10

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tyagi! Two wickets in three balls. He is a star. :)
Now has 3/9, certainly outperforming Ishant Sharma and looks a good raw talent. He will be liable to poor performances such as the Irani Trophy but certainly one to watch for Tests in the long term and ODIs in the short term.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bowling the same speed as Ishant - 128-138 around. So not doing too badly for a young lad at all.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
6th over on the trot, Tyagi's last two deliveries were 135 and 137 respectively. Nice.

He has bowled in the right spots mostly and would have taken another wicket had it not been for Jaffer (who has compact defense) and Dhoni batting IMO.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowling the same speed as Ishant - 128-138 around. So not doing too badly for a young lad at all.
6th over on the trot, Tyagi's last two deliveries were 135 and 137 respectively. Nice.

He has bowled in the right spots mostly and would have taken another wicket had it not been for Jaffer (who has compact defense) and Dhoni batting IMO.
Tyagi's pace is certainly solid and he extracts good lift and movement from what I saw in the IPL. But it is extremely hard to get your hopes up when you have so many Indian bowlers before him showing similar talent only to fade away, losing pace and accuracy in the process. Even Ishant is not half the bowler he was in Australia in ODI cricket and looking at his speeds slowly decrease toward sub-130kph, it would seem that his Test performances may follow a similar suit. Ishant's speeds have not dropped dramatically, they've dropped around 5kph, but he has lost a lot of the 'zip' he once had in his action and I can only see fatigue of the ridiculous amount of cricket being played as the cause.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, agreed Manee. The dropping of speed of Indian bowlers is some thing which has repeatedly happened and is deeply concerning but I would be surprised if Tyagi is not able to maintain this speed, if not increase it with more muscle. He certainly doesn't seem to be stretching himself too much while bowling - has a pretty smooth action.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agreed Manee. The dropping of speed of Indian bowlers is some thing which has repeatedly happened and is deeply concerning but I would be surprised if Tyagi is not able to maintain this speed. He certainly doesn't seem to be stretching himself while bowling - has a pretty smooth action.
I hope so...

Munaf has two now, India Blue in suicide mode!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nayar has been crap so far miscuing shots. The more I see him, the more I am convinced that he is not the all rounder India is looking for.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ashwin has bowled well this tourney. He is extracting rip from the surface which is very pleasing to see.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I always like Munaf Patel as a bowling option, specifically in ODIs. He doesn't bowl fast any more but is very accurate. And as I speak, he picks up Nayar.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I always like Munaf Patel as a bowling option, specifically in ODIs. He doesn't bowl fast any more but is very accurate. And as I speak, he picks up Nayar.
He does have his God-awful days though, which is always a risk.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting stuff from Ashwin...

Ashwin to Jalaj S Saxena, no run, shout for lbw. Lovely little carrom-ball delivery there! It landed on a length around middle and leg, Saxena shaped to defend but the ball broke back in and hit him on the body. It was delivered like a leg cutter. Did he flick it like the carrom ball?. And yep, it's a carrom ball like release,. It landed on a length on middle and leg and cut in towards middle. It hit the batsman high on the pad

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
His career ODI economy rate is 4.81 which is bloody good. In 2008, it was 4.3 in 12 matches. He has an economy rate of 8.7 in 4 matches in 2009 which have seen him out of the team but I would keep him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, that was definitely the carrom ball Manee. It hit him too high and was clearly going over the top of the stumps.

I love India's spin options now - Harbhajan, Mishra, Chawla, Ojha, Ashwin.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
His career ODI economy rate is 4.81 which is bloody good. In 2008, it was 4.3 in 12 matches. He has an economy rate of 8.7 in 4 matches in 2009 which have seen him out of the team but I would keep him.
Indeed, and no wickets in 2009 either. Such terrible runs of form cannot be afforded for a player who does not rip teams apart on the best of days, at international level, and who cannot bat or field.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I love India's spin options now - Harbhajan, Mishra, Chawla, Ojha, Ashwin.
Indeed, with such spin talent, we should pretty much always look to get two full time spin bowlers in both the Test and ODI teams.

What speed is Munaf bowling btw?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Our other pace bowling options aren't that much better.

Edit - 120-130.
120kph is very slow, indeed and simply will not be prying out ODI wickets. He may be able to capitalise on a good situation, but we do need a bowler who can force wickets and he currently is not able to do that.

I know our other pace bowling options are not that much better, if better at all but I think that Munaf, even at the best of times is not a great option. Someone like Praveen Kumar can have his good days with bat and ball whereas best case for Munaf is 10 tight overs. Munaf should always be in the bank for ODI cricket if it all goes wrong with the other options but I don't think we should be in a rush to put him in the ODI team. It is sad to say this after his extremely strong initial run in ODI cricket but he seems to have petered out a bit.

I think we should always look in ODI cricket to play two spinners, Harbhajan and one of the others and look to have two pacers. The sort of pecking order I think would be good would be...
1. Zaheer Khan
2. Ashish Nehra
3. Praveen Kumar
4. RP Singh
5. Sudeep Tyagi
6. Munaf Patel
7. Ishant Sharma

Last edited: