• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Build-up to Indian Domestic Season 2009-10

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The form guide indicates that Dravid, Gambhir, RP Singh and so far Raina and Dhoni did well in their workout. The bowlers, however, were largely unimpressive. A cause for concern is Ishant's form- he's bowled second-change, at a reduced pace (apparently trying to conserve energy for ODIs) and finished with an average of 32. He's the Indians' best pacer and needs to be back in action- they can't afford to drop him again, as the attack looks feeble without him. Praveen Kumar didn't finish his overs even once, and didn't take a wicket, though as a pinch-hitter, he did fine. Unfortunately, the other productive tailenders failed, with single-digit averages. It's not looking good below seven. None of the all-rounders on show had a good tournament. It's up to Harbhajan, Mishra and RP Singh to finish well.

It's good to see every player in the team get a workout in the tournament, but we'd expect better figures at the end of it. Weather ruined the event significantly, as IOC was out without playing a match.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
The form guide indicates that Dravid, Gambhir, RP Singh and so far Raina and Dhoni did well in their workout. The bowlers, however, were largely unimpressive. A cause for concern is Ishant's form- he's bowled second-change, at a reduced pace (apparently trying to conserve energy for ODIs) and finished with an average of 32. He's the Indians' best pacer and needs to be back in action- they can't afford to drop him again, as the attack looks feeble without him. Praveen Kumar didn't finish his overs even once, and didn't take a wicket, though as a pinch-hitter, he did fine. Unfortunately, the other productive tailenders failed, with single-digit averages. It's not looking good below seven. None of the all-rounders on show had a good tournament. It's up to Harbhajan, Mishra and RP Singh to finish well.

It's good to see every player in the team get a workout in the tournament, but we'd expect better figures at the end of it. Weather ruined the event significantly, as IOC was out without playing a match.
Don't forget Badri.

Raina doing well is pretty much useless as an indication of his ability to play internationals, until he can play the short ball he shouldn't be anywhere near the Indian team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't forget Badri.

Raina doing well is pretty much useless as an indication of his ability to play internationals, until he can play the short ball he shouldn't be anywhere near the Indian team.
Badri isn't in the team, for some odd reason.

As for Raina, he's only played limited-overs cricket, so he hasn't done much against the short ball, so it isn't too big an issue. He's not perfect, but not that bad that he shouldn't 'be anywhere near the Indian team'- he's done well since his recall, he's done well against all opposition and played a vital part in most of their recent ODI series wins. His ODI stats are quite impressive, even against top teams (except WI, he has played little against Aus), and he contributes a lot on the field. He's a good player of spin bowling, which is just right for positions four, five and six. Rather than get rid of Raina because he can't play the short ball, they can send him down the order and send up Yuvraj, Dhoni or Dravid.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
When you are struggling against short pitched stuff from Balaji at his current pace in Indian tracks, I will say it is a cause for worry. :)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yet he scored 94...and stayed unbeaten...

Corporate Trophy performances should be taken with a pinch of salt, if you look at how many matches are played, who's on top and where's Yuvraj Singh...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yet he scored 94...and stayed unbeaten...

Corporate Trophy performances should be taken with a pinch of salt, if you look at how many matches are played, who's on top and where's Yuvraj Singh...
Did you see the inning? He was dropped two times off sitters was miscuing shots left right and centre. The innings I saw was dead poor and doesn't speak well for Raina. Who the **** cares if he scored 94. I would have been happier if he scored 40 and looked like an international class batsman at the crease.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you see the inning? He was dropped two times off sitters was miscuing shots left right and centre. The innings I saw was dead poor and doesn't speak well for Raina. Who the **** cares if he scored 94. I would have been happier if he scored 40 and looked like an international class batsman at the crease.
I haven't seen it (channel on the blink even now), but I've read about the innings in articles as well as your post. However, that should be an excuse to drop him, especially when he's done well over a period of nearly two years. He's got impressive ODI stats, which will be difficult for his replacement to better- Rohit Sharma and Dinesh Karthik, for instance. He's a superb player of spin bowling and an excellent fielder, so he is valuable. They should keep him, but bat him at four/five/six, yet help him out with his weaknesses. He's too talented and valuable a player to lose this way.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am not suggesting that we drop him. He has had a good run last year and certainly deserves to be there in the team still.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Irani Trophy (schedule not on Cricinfo) runs right through the Champions' Trophy, which I find a bit disappointing. Mumbai may be in full strength, with the usual suspects, but they'll be facing a Rest of India Board President's XI team rather than a Rest of India XI. While this may be a good platform for the likes of Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Badrinath (again), Kohli, Karthik, the Patels and the Ojhas, they won't get much out of it.

The Ranji Trophy stars in November. Whom will you support? And what teams will you observe? I'm interested in following the Baroda team, for the Pathans, Rajesh Pawar and maybe Munaf Patel- hopefully he'll get back to bowling at express pace now. That said, I like the look of the Mumbai team, as they're well-balanced and appear to be a full team even without Sachin and Zaheer. The UP team is one that thrives on strength in numbers, though they'll miss Raina, RP and Praveen Kumar for some time. Frankly, I do hope both Chawla and Kumar have a good all-round season- the Indians need an option each time Irfan is dropped on form. Delhi will also be a team to watch- dogged by selection scams, they have a lot to prove, especially after winning the 2007-08 season. Some of the best reserve/development players are from Delhi, so that should be encouraging. Railways are a famous strength-in-numbers team, but the quality isn't there to show, and for every Railways player, there's an opposite number who's better.

Tamil Nadu have an efficient team that plays well together, and they have Badrinath, but their bowling isn't very strong, especially without an all-rounder. Hopefully Ravichandran Ashwin will do the star turn this season. Saurashtra and Gujarat are two overhyped teams with no special players, and somehow thrive on first-innings leads rather than wins. Maharashtra is one team that somehow survive without even pinching lead points, but they don't lose much- this is one team I don't like much, because they have a lot of money, but are not run properly at all. We saw them begging for two substandard international players, and the one they got, was a failure.

So I'd back Mumbai for an encore, but Baroda winning will be good for the scene.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Will watch at least on Sunday. Shame about the scheduling and that you may not be able to watch it. Switch to Tata Sky Arjun. I will be supporting and following Bengal. With there squad back to full strength I hope they can go from strength to strength. The dark horses for the tournament for mine. Will be great watching Ganguly in 3 games at Eden too.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No DTH please! It's expensive, an itch to set up and takes a lot of time. I've had that experience with our first cable TV installation, then our broadband internet setup. I did what's easier- found a way to contact the cable operator office and told them about this, and hopefully they'll start these channels. They have a readymade excuse- is there a live match coming? I told them there's not one but two tournaments coming up, and even a few tennis events on Neo Sports Green.

Times of India is baffled with the selections for the Challenger Trophy. Too much of a reaction, I'd say. Leaving out Irfan from the probables was a huge gaffe; at least drop him from the final 15, but some probables had no business being ahead of him. Sehwag as a captain isn't a bad idea, as there isn't a replacement in sight. The exclusion of Parthiv Patel isn't an issue, as the likes of Saha, Kaul, Rawat and Ojha are better. Kaif's exclusion is a valid concern. He himself is so frustrated at being left out, he has thought of retirement as an option.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Glad to see sreesanth back he is among our top fast bowlers,time for guys like nehra who will
surely be dropped after we lose in champions trophy go to rest in peace

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tata Sky is very smooth Arjun and it isn't that costly IMO given the service they provide. My DTH box wasn't functioning after a few months of service. Called them up. They came and replaced the box the next day - no questions asked and problem was solved. Dish is tedious - I have had experience with them. Go for Tata Sky (or Tata Sky plus - even better) and you will live happily ever after.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mumbai have announced their squad for the Irani Trophy. Looks strong, but will meet its match in Rest Of India.

That apart, what is your opinion on an annual five-day match between the full Indian Test team and the next best reserves? We had that once in 2004, as a 12 vs 12, but never since.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There's already the KPL running, and coming to an end, with semis played today. It's a trivial tournament, and not worth the attention. The more important Syed Mushtaq Ali tournament, a national T20 league, will start from September 25. We won't get to see too much with the national team players away on national duty.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I just read the scoresheets, and I find that Ravi Jadeja scored 77 runs, while Munaf Patel smashed 36 and Mukund scored 44. It's been a below-par effort from the ROI team, folding up for 260. Mumbai are at 38 for no loss right now.