• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Build-up to Indian Domestic Season 2009-10

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ramesh Powar battles strain and heat to pull Mumbai ahead in the first innings with a painstaking century. This is so much like in the early 2000s, where batting failures were followed by fantastic lower-order recovery, with him being a prime player. His chances of taking a wicket in the Punjab second innings is minimal, because of his injury. He's still one of the better multi-skilled players at hand, but his fitness is a major concern, be it injuries or fielding.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Hang on, nobody's discussed the Services suspension here. Maybe outside of the thread, as may be too hot to talk of here.

Elsewhere, Badri scores a century to take TN close to the Railwaymen's first innings total of 327. TN are now at 311. How much longer will the selectors keep him out of the Test/ODI team?

In another match I'm following, the Delhi/Baroda match is headed for a tame draw.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Punjab at 260/6. Nayar bowling a few good spells, and looked like a proper seam bowler, rather than a mere bits-and-pieces seam-up bowler. He got a wicket for his efforts, though he still bowled a no-ball. They're missing Ramesh Powar badly, as they're struggling to bowl out Punjab.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Now Gony swats Agarkar for three boundaries in an over. He seems a lot smarter, playing out a few deliveries by Rohit Sharma. Not much of a strike bowler, but scores useful runs down the order.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Now it seems there are a whole lot of calls for chucking. First it was Mohnish Parmar, cleared only recently, but now Amit Singh is still under the scanner for chucking. They've even called on the action of Railways spinner KS Parida, who said that he may even quit playing after this. It doesn't end here- in one match, the umpires called two Baroda bowlers for chucking- seamer Veragi and seasoned left-arm spinner Rajesh Pawar.

Outside of that, here's a wrap of the first round of the Super League and the third day of the Plate League. EDIT: This is only the third day, and more updates will come later tonight. The Mumbai-Punjab game ended in a tame draw, with 13 overs left unfinished.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Very interesting start to the season, as a few pace bowlers make their names heard. Pankaj Singh took 7/64 in the second innings after 4 in the first to take Rajasthan to victory. He narrowly outperformed the ICL returnee, Abu Nechim who took 2 in the first innings and 5/57 in the second.

In the Super League, it was much a similar story as debutant Abhimanyu Mithun took 5 in both innings including a hattrick. Ranadeb Bose also took 5 wickets - people have said he is too slow for international cricket, but if he repeats the majestic season a few years back when he was top wicket taker, there will not be much stopping him from being in the Test squad. Other than that, the main point of interest is Zaheer Khan who has 3 wickets in Punjab's second innings, following on from 4 in the first.

Of the batsmen, Badrinath century probably stands out, from the happenings today, as it successfully took Tamil Nadu to a first innings lead.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The first round seems to have made the news for news other than performance. There's the suspension of Services, and then there's a long list of chuckers submitted to umpires, which resulted in three calls so far. Zaheer has done well on his comeback, but both Sreesanth and RP Singh have been off-colour, while Rohit Sharma failed in this encounter. The biggest disappointment has been that not one all-rounder has done well here.

Sunil Mathew

Cricket Spectator
Abhimanyu has ace up his sleeve Meerut:

To continue with my earlier post on the exciting Mithun. Just read the below reviews from various quarters about his performance and talent and his own words too. My surmise is that we have a serious talent here.

Abhimanyu has ace up his sleeve Meerut:

To suggest that Wednesday offered a sneak preview into the future might be a huge exaggeration, but if Abhimanyu Mithun continues to progress at the same spectacular pace of the last three years, the sky could be the limit for the paceman from Bangalore.

The 20-year-old arrived in Meerut for Karnataka’s Ranji Trophy season-opener against Uttar Pradesh not so much in a blaze of publicity but with rave reviews from some of the modern-day giants of Karnataka cricket.

In the space of one afternoon, he justified the expectations of his illustrious City-mates, the likes of Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid, with one of the more memorable exhibitions of fast bowling in domestic cricket in recent times.
On a surface with a little bit of assistance, Mithun worked up tremendous pace, showed enough intelligence and maturity in sizing up weaknesses of rival batsmen, and displayed the skills required to home in on those weaknesses with the practised ease of a veteran.

It wasn’t merely the fact that he picked up five for 63 in his first bowl in first-class cricket that was eye-catching. The entire package has “class” written all over it, a package that needs careful nurturing and mature handling if he is to do justice to his unquestioned talent.

Standing at first slip for a majority of the time when Mithun was working the batsmen over, Dravid couldn’t but have reflected on the past, when another tearaway from Karnataka, Javagal Srinath, was making waves at the domestic level.
As ball after ball thudded into wicket-keeper Thilak Naidu’s gloves, Dravid would have allowed himself a quiet smile or two, satisfied that his faith in the young lad had been vindicated.

Srinath went on to establish himself as India’s second most successful medium-pacer behind Kapil Dev; Mithun’s journey has just begun, and whilst whatever he dished out on Wednesday was commendable, the temptation to draw comparisons with his predecessor from Mysore must be resisted.

Steady climb
Mithun’s initiation into cricket began just three years back, as a 17-year-old PU student. To have climbed the charts in such a short span of time in such stunning fashion is indicative of his talent and his willingness to work hard.
This Abhimanyu has broken through the chakravyuha successfully; how he handles the rest of the battle is the million-dollar question only he, and time, can answer.

“But unlike any other match before, Mithun said that he was nervous when the ball was tossed in his direction on Day Two of his Ranji Trophy debut. “‘When the team was picked I was told I will play in all the matches. When the ball was thrown in my direction I was nervous. But I settled down and concentrated on bowling quick.”
Even the opposition camp is raving about his pace and penetration. Former UP pacer and now part of the team’s support staff, Ashish Winston Zaidi had a lot of praise for the youngster, even though his team ended on the wrong side of the bargain. “I am really happy for him. It’s not a joke to take 11 wickets in your first match and that too against a good UP side. He’s got raw pace and has a very good bouncer,” Zaidi said.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds good but I am so weary before getting behind another pace sensation, we have simply had far too many before.

Sunil Mathew

Cricket Spectator
Talking about Mithun, what is of great importance to me is this great ability of him to bowl bouncers and that too from just short of a length, something which can unsettle any batsmen. To me this ability is key difference between a run of the mill fast medium bowler and a nippy if not fearsome bowler. Of the current crop of indian pacers (nehra/zaheer/praveen/munaf/sreesantg etc) none has this special ability. Surprisingly even Ishant sharma with all his height still does not possess a good bouncer as manifested in the amount of runs he has leaked whenever he has tried the bouncer. In fact since the prime days of Javagal Srinath cant remember any indian bowler having this most valuable tool of a fast bowler.

Sunil Mathew

Cricket Spectator
You are right manee in many ways. we have had too many promising quicks fading away within no time. Just to elaborate the point a little further. Yesterday i noticed Rajasthan's Pankaj singh having a 7 wicket haul but it didnt excite me at all, why? I have seen this bloke bowl in a few televised matches and it was a huge disappointment to see him bowl in the 128 - 130 kmph speed vicinity. Disappointing since he had all the attributes of a true fast bowler. tall and good upper body strength. Hence his figures no longer excites me and when i see these wicket 7 hauls my first guess is that of inept batting from the opposition. Thing to remember here is that It was not long ago when JP Yadav, all of gentle medium pace topped the highest wicket takers list in Ranji trophy.

Let me list a few pace bowlers other than Mithun to keep track of and why;

R Suthesh of Tamil Nadu:
A sharp left arm fast bowler with a good record in the highly competitive 1st division league of chennai. last year he played a handful of matches for TN mainly in the 20/20 & one dayers and impressed one and all with his wicket taking ability, but unfortunately got injured and missed the early part of this season. but he is back in the TN ranji team even though he has been kept out of their first match this season. One really hope that the highly conservative TN selectors does not allow him to warm the bench for the whole season while preferring worthless bits and pieces players like ganapathy/vignesh jesuraj etc.

Nizar Niyaz of kerala.

According to knowledgeable sources, This MRF trainee is an highly talented fast medium swing bowler who has the wherewithal to play for India in the near feature. though of skinny physique, he generates good pace from a lovely run up and smooth action and he also has the ability to swing the old ball. Unfortunately, Like the Tamil Nadu team selection situation, he is also up against a rubbish selection committee system in Kerala and has already warmed the bench for the first match of the season. If you wonder about those exciting pacers who are keeping out such a talent from the playing eleven don't worry, it is the gentle giant pace bowlers and non contributors called tinu yohanan / sony cheruvathur etc. One can only hope that some one like captain sreesanth would see to it that he gets to play the next match.

Saurabh Netravalakar- Mumbai

A left arm fast bowler from Mumbai, on whom there are high expectations. though not really quick he is sharp of the wicket and has good control. his performances in corporate trophy was noteworthy and has impressed many people. Once zaheer leaves for team india duty he should get a chance to play for mumbai.

Sajin sureshnath of Maharashtra.

Early impressions are good. had a good 20/20 tournament. Ranji trophy debut also went along well. has the ability to pick early wickets and maintains a great economy rate. a guy to keep track of it seems.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Talking about Mithun, what is of great importance to me is this great ability of him to bowl bouncers and that too from just short of a length, something which can unsettle any batsmen. To me this ability is key difference between a run of the mill fast medium bowler and a nippy if not fearsome bowler. Of the current crop of indian pacers (nehra/zaheer/praveen/munaf/sreesantg etc) none has this special ability. Surprisingly even Ishant sharma with all his height still does not possess a good bouncer as manifested in the amount of runs he has leaked whenever he has tried the bouncer. In fact since the prime days of Javagal Srinath cant remember any indian bowler having this most valuable tool of a fast bowler.
I understand your excitement, but I think that it is imperitive that we do not repeat the mistakes of the past and rush him into any of our international sides. Give him two or three seasons to distinguish himself in one or more formats of the game and to develop match fitness which will hopefully serve him throughout a career. We must note that he has played well in one FC match, not even a season (which as we have seen, does not denote future success beyond that season), let alone two or three.

However, you are right that Indian bowlers do not possess a good bouncer. Although this may seen overly non scientific, I do believe that it comes down a lack of strength to propel the ball downwards into the pitch rather than forwards toward the batsman. Zaheer Khan has a good, rising bouncer, as he has the strength to do it, but someone like Ishant has the ball merely skid on to the batsman and not rise as sharply as it perhaps should. Similarly with RP Singh.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You are right manee in many ways. we have had too many promising quicks fading away within no time. Just to elaborate the point a little further. Yesterday i noticed Rajasthan's Pankaj singh having a 7 wicket haul but it didnt excite me at all, why? I have seen this bloke bowl in a few televised matches and it was a huge disappointment to see him bowl in the 128 - 130 kmph speed vicinity. Disappointing since he had all the attributes of a true fast bowler. tall and good upper body strength. Hence his figures no longer excites me and when i see these wicket 7 hauls my first guess is that of inept batting from the opposition. Thing to remember here is that It was not long ago when JP Yadav, all of gentle medium pace topped the highest wicket takers list in Ranji trophy.
But I do not understand why you are upset by a successful bowler, who has height, strength and bowling at 130kph. The fact that he is tall and strong means that he could probably bowl quicker if he chose to, but he understands the futility of such, playing in Indian wickets. If a bowler can take wickets consistently (which Pankaj has not quite done yet, he has had a few good seasons but nothing tremendous, yet) and is not obscenely slow, such as a JP Yadav, then give him a go, imo.

Let me list a few pace bowlers other than Mithun to keep track of and why;

R Suthesh of Tamil Nadu:
A sharp left arm fast bowler with a good record in the highly competitive 1st division league of chennai. last year he played a handful of matches for TN mainly in the 20/20 & one dayers and impressed one and all with his wicket taking ability, but unfortunately got injured and missed the early part of this season. but he is back in the TN ranji team even though he has been kept out of their first match this season. One really hope that the highly conservative TN selectors does not allow him to warm the bench for the whole season while preferring worthless bits and pieces players like ganapathy/vignesh jesuraj etc.
I don't think that Vignesh is a worthless bits and pieces player. I think he is valuable future ODI prospect - judging by his performances in the ICL, taking the new ball and opening the batting, both with tremendous success. However, I understand your point and his record in his first 8 OD matches looks very good. Balaji certainly could use some wicket taking support for Tamil Nadu, lest he break in two, again.

Nizar Niyaz of kerala.

According to knowledgeable sources, This MRF trainee is an highly talented fast medium swing bowler who has the wherewithal to play for India in the near feature. though of skinny physique, he generates good pace from a lovely run up and smooth action and he also has the ability to swing the old ball. Unfortunately, Like the Tamil Nadu team selection situation, he is also up against a rubbish selection committee system in Kerala and has already warmed the bench for the first match of the season. If you wonder about those exciting pacers who are keeping out such a talent from the playing eleven don't worry, it is the gentle giant pace bowlers and non contributors called tinu yohanan / sony cheruvathur etc. One can only hope that some one like captain sreesanth would see to it that he gets to play the next match.
Would love to hear more about these bowlers and would love to know where you get your information from as it sounds fascinating. Regarding Sreesanth, it really is a shame to see him not take wickets in the Plate League. As I have always suspected, it would seem he is not cut out for unlimited overs cricket.

Saurabh Netravalakar- Mumbai

A left arm fast bowler from Mumbai, on whom there are high expectations. though not really quick he is sharp of the wicket and has good control. his performances in corporate trophy was noteworthy and has impressed many people. Once zaheer leaves for team india duty he should get a chance to play for mumbai.
Will he be preferred over Rahil Sheikh?

Sajin sureshnath of Maharashtra.

Early impressions are good. had a good 20/20 tournament. Ranji trophy debut also went along well. has the ability to pick early wickets and maintains a great economy rate. a guy to keep track of it seems.
Is he another trundler though, or have you information that he bowls at an international quality speed?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Rather than try to unearth new pacers, they should stick to the best of those available and get back some of those discarded, and then consolidate on that.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Rather than try to unearth new pacers, they should stick to the best of those available and get back some of those discarded, and then consolidate on that.
Obviously, but it is good to hear about up-and-coming talent.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously, but it is good to hear about up-and-coming talent.
Let them go into Duleep/Deodhar/IPL teams for now, if the South/East teams are willing to give young Indian talent a chance. But then, you have some very talented players in all skills who've been cast aside, for a long time, and some still in the team now. The idea should be to help these players stay and get better, while trying to get back some of those lost in the past, like Nehra. This particular recall has done wonders for the team, though it's now coming unstuck in this series. A series of good performances, especially in team wins, should get some of them back. For instance, rather than try out this bloke Mithun right now, the idea should be to get RP Singh and Chawla back on track.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No one is saying to try out Mithun now, he has only played a few matches. However, to be aware of someone who may be a future international player (as opposed to a 115kph trundler, who will never be) is something to pass the time.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
What would be his speed? Cricinfo mentions him as a right arm medium bowler.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I am also very excited with Manish Pandey. I remember his IPL innings against CSK. It was full of great storkes. Hope he can make it to the Indian side.