• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four day Tests possible - ICC Chief

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ICC chief suggests four-day Tests | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

What in the hell are they doing? Jesus Christ, if they do this crap to tests, I will be gone from cricket. Have they gone absolutely insane? Hey, let's take the last couple years, with a lot of fifth day finishes, and get rid of everything good about the game. This would be the worst decision of all time if they go through with it. More draws, just what we need. I'm all for more balance between bat and ball, day night cricket, etc. How does this help anything? Do they think people who don't like five day matches will start liking it if its four days?

Totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am surprised no one has suggested a weekend schedule, for example, all Tests start on Wednesday and go until Sunday. That would increase viewership/attendance. That would increase the viewership without really changing anything about the games itself.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Start on Thursday and go on till Monday IMO. Insures against empty seats on Sunday in case of a 4th day finish.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Start on Thursday and go on till Monday IMO. Insures against empty seats on Sunday in case of a 4th day finish.
Most matches don't finish on the fourth day though, it would be a shame to make people miss the climax. And the fourth day would be on a saturday anyway, so people can see that too. Last two Test match days on the weekend are ideal.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
me 2. im not gonna start supporting a 4 day england cricket team.

players should speak out against this! 5 day test matches is and always has been the ultimate game of cricket.

4 days would not be a "test"!

why do they keep shortening everything? this would OFFICIALLY kill the sport

the way they keep going it will just merge with baseball!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
5 day test matches is and always has been the ultimate game of cricket.
Well... not quite. The five-day Test only became a universal standard sometime in either the late-1950s or early-1960s, not sure exactly when. Before then, it was a mish-mash of six-dayers, five-dayers, four-dayers, three-dayers and timeless matches. One should note that in four-day\three-day matches the over-rates were much, much higher than they are now, so you still got the same amount of play (sometimes more) in three days than you do in five days now.

Either way, the fact that five-day Tests have worked perfectly well for 50 years says it all. There is no need whatsoever to change it - if any change would be good, it'd be the introduction of a "reserve" day (or two) which could be used (only) in the case of overs being lost on the original five days.

Encouraging more draws simply is not a good thing and never, ever will be.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am surprised no one has suggested a weekend schedule, for example, all Tests start on Wednesday and go until Sunday. That would increase viewership/attendance. That would increase the viewership without really changing anything about the games itself.
Most matches don't finish on the fourth day though, it would be a shame to make people miss the climax. And the fourth day would be on a saturday anyway, so people can see that too. Last two Test match days on the weekend are ideal.
No, disagree with this, the way we always did do it in England where the Tests were Thurs-Mon is the best option. Sure, plenty of Tests go to the 5th day, but a lot of the time the crowd is low on a Monday as you're gonna get a session at the most, or alternatively the game is dead by then and will be a drab day. having days three and four at the weekend maximises the potential for viewing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
ICC chief suggests four-day Tests | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

What in the hell are they doing? Jesus Christ, if they do this crap to tests, I will be gone from cricket. Have they gone absolutely insane? Hey, let's take the last couple years, with a lot of fifth day finishes, and get rid of everything good about the game. This would be the worst decision of all time if they go through with it. More draws, just what we need. I'm all for more balance between bat and ball, day night cricket, etc. How does this help anything? Do they think people who don't like five day matches will start liking it if its four days?

Totally ridiculous.
I couldn't agree more - you've said all I want to say.

As for start times, beginning on a Thursday is the right was to go afaic, for the reasons GIMH has given. Except for Boxing Day and New Year Tests, which I don't reckon will ever catch on in England anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, we'd need about 10 days given the hours of daylight we get at those times of year

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Thursday-Monday Tests in this country is just the way things have been virtually since the introduction of the five-day game (obviously was Thursday-Tuesday in the days of the rest day). It doesn't have to be this way everywhere (and isn't in plenty of places already), but it'll disappoint me if there ever comes a time when Tests around these parts start at random or on any day other than Thursday.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Thursday-Monday Tests in this country is just the way things have been virtually since the introduction of the five-day game (obviously was Thursday-Tuesday in the days of the rest day). It doesn't have to be this way everywhere (and isn't in plenty of places already), but it'll disappoint me if there ever comes a time when Tests around these parts start at random or on any day other than Thursday.
Prepare to be disappointed - next Wednesday!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've already been so - long ago, since I heard the announcement of the schedule. Matthew Engel in Wisden 2009 is likewise.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, disagree with this, the way we always did do it in England where the Tests were Thurs-Mon is the best option. Sure, plenty of Tests go to the 5th day, but a lot of the time the crowd is low on a Monday as you're gonna get a session at the most, or alternatively the game is dead by then and will be a drab day. having days three and four at the weekend maximises the potential for viewing.
Yea, that's fair enough.