cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Four day Tests possible - ICC Chief

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Four day Tests possible - ICC Chief

ICC chief suggests four-day Tests | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

What in the hell are they doing? Jesus Christ, if they do this crap to tests, I will be gone from cricket. Have they gone absolutely insane? Hey, let's take the last couple years, with a lot of fifth day finishes, and get rid of everything good about the game. This would be the worst decision of all time if they go through with it. More draws, just what we need. I'm all for more balance between bat and ball, day night cricket, etc. How does this help anything? Do they think people who don't like five day matches will start liking it if its four days?

Totally ridiculous.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 30-06-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I am surprised no one has suggested a weekend schedule, for example, all Tests start on Wednesday and go until Sunday. That would increase viewership/attendance. That would increase the viewership without really changing anything about the games itself.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 30-06-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Start on Thursday and go on till Monday IMO. Insures against empty seats on Sunday in case of a 4th day finish.

Bloodcalth!!!

Thes damn idiots that runnings cricket. Look the ICC needs serious revamping, the rise of T20 cricket has got these men doing alot of utter foolishness. Thanfully some others realise this predicament as well.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Wow. Just...wow.
    I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Start on Thursday and go on till Monday IMO. Insures against empty seats on Sunday in case of a 4th day finish.
    Most matches don't finish on the fourth day though, it would be a shame to make people miss the climax. And the fourth day would be on a saturday anyway, so people can see that too. Last two Test match days on the weekend are ideal.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    me 2. im not gonna start supporting a 4 day england cricket team.

players should speak out against this! 5 day test matches is and always has been the ultimate game of cricket.

4 days would not be a "test"!

why do they keep shortening everything? this would OFFICIALLY kill the sport

the way they keep going it will just merge with baseball!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golaxi View Post
    5 day test matches is and always has been the ultimate game of cricket.
    Well... not quite. The five-day Test only became a universal standard sometime in either the late-1950s or early-1960s, not sure exactly when. Before then, it was a mish-mash of six-dayers, five-dayers, four-dayers, three-dayers and timeless matches. One should note that in four-day\three-day matches the over-rates were much, much higher than they are now, so you still got the same amount of play (sometimes more) in three days than you do in five days now.

Either way, the fact that five-day Tests have worked perfectly well for 50 years says it all. There is no need whatsoever to change it - if any change would be good, it'd be the introduction of a "reserve" day (or two) which could be used (only) in the case of overs being lost on the original five days.

Encouraging more draws simply is not a good thing and never, ever will be.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I am surprised no one has suggested a weekend schedule, for example, all Tests start on Wednesday and go until Sunday. That would increase viewership/attendance. That would increase the viewership without really changing anything about the games itself.
    Most matches don't finish on the fourth day though, it would be a shame to make people miss the climax. And the fourth day would be on a saturday anyway, so people can see that too. Last two Test match days on the weekend are ideal.
    No, disagree with this, the way we always did do it in England where the Tests were Thurs-Mon is the best option. Sure, plenty of Tests go to the 5th day, but a lot of the time the crowd is low on a Monday as you're gonna get a session at the most, or alternatively the game is dead by then and will be a drab day. having days three and four at the weekend maximises the potential for viewing.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Read this title as 'Four day tests possible - ICC Thief' which would be quite apt if they stole our 5th day.

ICC chief suggests four-day Tests | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

What in the hell are they doing? Jesus Christ, if they do this crap to tests, I will be gone from cricket. Have they gone absolutely insane? Hey, let's take the last couple years, with a lot of fifth day finishes, and get rid of everything good about the game. This would be the worst decision of all time if they go through with it. More draws, just what we need. I'm all for more balance between bat and ball, day night cricket, etc. How does this help anything? Do they think people who don't like five day matches will start liking it if its four days?

Totally ridiculous.
    I couldn't agree more - you've said all I want to say.

As for start times, beginning on a Thursday is the right was to go afaic, for the reasons GIMH has given. Except for Boxing Day and New Year Tests, which I don't reckon will ever catch on in England anyway.

Haha, we'd need about 10 days given the hours of daylight we get at those times of year

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yeah, Thursday-Monday Tests in this country is just the way things have been virtually since the introduction of the five-day game (obviously was Thursday-Tuesday in the days of the rest day). It doesn't have to be this way everywhere (and isn't in plenty of places already), but it'll disappoint me if there ever comes a time when Tests around these parts start at random or on any day other than Thursday.

You'll be disappointed next week then

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information