• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four day Tests possible - ICC Chief

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Initial response: BLOODY HELL, THAT'S MADNESS!

Now I've mulled it over a while, I guess it would be possible, with some changes. Making things more bowler-friendly, DEFINITELY. Longer boundaries, perhaps abolishing the "outside the line of legstump" LBW law, etc. Umpires have got better, thanks to Hawkeye analysis and the like, so I'm sure they'd be able to judge this correctly.

Once upon a time, on a batting pitch, 250 runs a day would be decent going. Nowadays, 300+ is the norm. Over 5 days, that's 1250 vs 1500 -- you could lose a day and still have as many runs. This is only going to get more pronounced with more T20 experience, in the same way that ODIs engendered quicker scoring in Tests.

Floodlights would minimise the time spent off due to bad light. Not sure of the merits of this with the red ball, but perhaps they could be used to allow play in worse light but not no light. For example, say the umpires will offer the batsmen the light if it goes below "10" on their meters. With floodlights, "10" would mean turning them on...and "7" would mean going off for bad light.

On the flip side, while 100+ overs a day may seem perfectly reasonable to an Englishman or an Aussie, you just do not get days that long on the subcontinent, especially around Christmas (India/Pak/Bang are all northern hemisphere, even if not muchly so).

*** HERESY ALERT ***

So, I've changed my mind. I've not been completely won over yet, but I think four day Tests are possible, especially if the 5th day is scheduled as a reserve day.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I think 4 day tests are a good idea provided they institute changes which ensure 450 overs of cricket. Stricter regulation of over rates would help as well as the use of lights to extend play in bad light.

One big advantage is that tests can be scheduled to end on weekends. As discussed on the first page this becomes a problem with 5-day tests when you are worried that it gets over on the fourth day and Sunday goes waste. If OTOH you schedule it to end on Monday that may mean a smaller crowd for an exciting finish. With four day tests the probability of a last day finish is higher so a Thur-Sun schedule makes sense.

Last edited:

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
'No, no, no' to 4 day tests. A poorly thought through idea. I cannot see it attract many new fans, but it sure will not please many long standing supporters of test matches.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I really don't understand the knee-jerk responses against this proposal.

If it led to more bowling friendly pitches, more wickets falling and more drama, then I'd be all for it. The two Tests England won in the 2005 Ashes were both over and done with in 4 days.

I'd far rather watch a Test like the Edgbaston Test from 2005 than watch a 5 day bore fest on dead pitches where batsmen rack up ridiculous runs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't understand the knee-jerk responses against this proposal.

If it led to more bowling friendly pitches, more wickets falling and more drama, then I'd be all for it. The two Tests England won in the 2005 Ashes were both over and done with in 4 days.

I'd far rather watch a Test like the Edgbaston Test from 2005 than watch a 5 day bore fest on dead pitches where batsmen rack up ridiculous runs.
That isn't a legitimate enough reason to want to have 4 day tests though. Fact is, the MAIN reason why the stupid ICC is event contemplating having 4 days tests, is because of the lack of control they have over the explosion of T20s worldwide & it IS now threatening the future of test cricket. So now they think reducing the number of days to 4 can help save the game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That isn't a legitimate enough reason to want to have 4 day tests though. Fact is, the MAIN reason why the stupid ICC is event contemplating having 4 days tests, is because of the lack of control they have over the explosion of T20s worldwide & it IS now threatening the future of test cricket. So now they think reducing the number of days to 4 can help save the game.
If Test cricket doesn't adapt, it will die. It is already dying a slow death in the subcontinent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If Test cricket doesn't adapt, it will die. It is already dying a slow death in the subcontinent.
There is absolutely no reason if the rise of T20 cricket since the 07 WC in SA. That under a proper ICC structure, a controlled balance between T20s which has a clear big part in crickets future, ODIs & Test (the proper format) couldn't have been established.

There is absolutely no proper reason why test cricket needs to be cut to 4-days, other than reason i stated in the previous post.

On the point in the sub-continet i'd say lack of crowds has always been a problem, since the revolution of ODI cricket. Plus in IND i know for a fact in IND, you can't carry bottles into the grounds, so for a test match the fans really would be hard pressed to take that.

But the Indian's are a erudite cricket nation, because all of AUS tours since 98 that i've seen BIG crowds show up for the test matches.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The last tour wasn't, even on the morning where Tendulkar passed Lara's tally of Test runs the ground was barely half full.