cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaughan to retire?

Vaughan to retire?

Expected to announce it according to cricinfo.

A surprise but somehow not at the same time. Makes his central contract seem all the more baffling.

If it is the final curtain then thanks for the memories, Mick. England's most successful ever captain, statistically and one of the most handsome stroke makers I've seen. His cover drive a beuatiful thing.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Rory Burns wafted and whooshed, hit a few, edged a few more and batted at times with all the graceful serenity of a man trying to force his way head-first through a privet hedge." - Barney Ronay on the Surrey opener's maiden test ton

One of the most attractive batsmen I've ever seen play. Could watch him bat all day. Pity his demise came so hard and fast, deserved a better ending than that.

Bit of a fan of his artballing project, have one of the images as the desktop background on my computer.

Edit: This one:

Last edited by pasag; 28-06-2009 at 04:34 AM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I get the impression he feels somewhat let down by the ECB, and no doubt Sky's offer looks like a telephone number

Sad to see him go - a great Lancastrian

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    His performances in Australia in 2002/2003 was the finest display of batting I have witnessed from a visiting batsman throughout the past decade.

Batted like a dream, and scored three of the most visually appealing centuries imaginable.

A decent cricketer who occasionally could elevate himself to a level amongst the greats of the game.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Strange feeling this, Vaughan is probably the first big-name player to begin and finish his career (at least as an international player) while I've been old enough to follow cricket. It feels like he still has so much to offer.

He was simply awesome in 2002 through 2003 and one of the few batsmen that came to terms with McGrath and Warne. His cover drive and pull will live on long in the memory - conventional strokes but played with a regal class. In many ways, Vaughan represents for me the last of the 'old guard': cricketers who were not wrapped up in big-hitting or the IPL, or even the ODI circus to an extent. Even his best one-day innings, like this were full of brilliant, traditional strokeplay rather than brute force or creativity.

Weird the way Cricinfo have included "England team pay tribute to war dead" article headline under the Vaughan retirement subheading. Seriously. It's not like there's any other reasonable link between the two.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I get the impression he feels somewhat let down by the ECB, and no doubt Sky's offer looks like a telephone number

Sad to see him go - a great Lancastrian
    I'm sure this was was his reaction:

Anyway he is going to retire with a First Class and Test HS of 197, he could never quite get those three runs needed. Even Jason Gillespie has a higher FC score
    Last edited by Craig; 28-06-2009 at 05:11 AM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Great batsman for England, and was also a very good captain. Shame for England supporters to see him go, but he hasn't been anywhere near his top peak for the past 18 months. Looks like he picked the right time to go.

Oh, and odds on him ending up in the ICL?
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

In hindsight, he should've retired once he resigned as captain.

I agree that at his best he is 1 of the best batsmen to watch. Probably the most elegant English batsman since Gower.

His pull and cover drive were shots which you just watched with awe. How can he make it look so damn easy?!

His Ashes record of 47.95 w/4 centuries in 20 innings is excellent against THE team of the mid 90's to mid 00's. 1 not out innings would've put his Ashes average above 50 whcih is what I feel he deserved.

His Captaincy was probably better than his batting and 2005 was 1 of the all-time Ashes series so he'll be remembered in 50 years time if the sport is still going.
    All-Time Test XI:
    Gavaskar, Boycott, Tendulkar, G.Pollock, V.Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist (wk), Warne (c), Waqar/Wasim, Lillee, Ambrose.

I was very sad when he stepped down as captain, although I felt he was doing the right thing I felt really numb about it. But this, I dunno, there is a sense of inevitability about it.

In England we often celebrate glorious losers, Vaughan was a winner and I am glad he never played for us again once he gave up the captaincy as he clearly is no longer the batsman he once was. but what a batsman he was, and I genuinely believe that had he never been made captain he would have averaged over 50, alas it was well worth the sacrifice.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Feel for him, really was hoping that he would score some runs for Yorkshire and force his way back to the side. Im glad that the selectors didnt pick him based on past reputation because I honestly dont think he was good enough as a batsman over the last few years and it is sad considering that he really did look the part at one point. At the end of his career, bringing the Ashes back home, will probably make people have a more favorable view of his career (his captaincy was by all means excellent) but England will miss him.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Reckon I've watched this 100 (@ 3.45ish)....

YouTube - Glenn McGrath

Anyway, Vaughan was a fine player to watch, and his series out here in 02-03 was pretty damn epic. Cheers for the mints, I mean memories, Michael.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Feel for him, really was hoping that he would score some runs for Yorkshire and force his way back to the side. Im glad that the selectors didnt pick him based on past reputation because I honestly dont think he was good enough as a batsman over the last few years and it is sad considering that he really did look the part at one point. At the end of his career, bringing the Ashes back home, will probably make people have a more favorable view of his career (his captaincy was by all means excellent) but England will miss him.
    Agree. Such an elegant player when at his best between 2002-2005. The problem has been in the last couple of years he's looked so out of sorts when starting his innings, he really struggled to get out of 1st gear.

I'll remember him most for his Ashes-winning captaincy in 2005 along with his magnificent pulling/hooking and general batting form in the 2002 Ashes in Australia.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yup, that cover drive's right up with M Waugh's and M D Crowe's for mine

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information