• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Proof Vettori did used to get turn ...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for posting that - those are great highlights.

Is the general consensus that Vettori physically can't spin the ball as much now due to his early-2000s back injury? Or some other reason.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Back in the days when Daniel Vettori actually got turn and appeared to be a genuine wicket-taker at Test level

I believe it's the Australian tour of NZ in 2000

YouTube - Daniel Vettori bowling highlight
Haa...sry to crash the party, but have seen no evidence of late that Vettori stopped turning the ball.

I think you may have slightly overplayed those highlights because in every AUS vs NZ series this 2000s era, Vettori does well MAINLY because he bowls well to batsmen who want to attack - which was the forte of the champion AUS team.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks for posting that - those are great highlights.

Is the general consensus that Vettori physically can't spin the ball as much now due to his early-2000s back injury? Or some other reason.
Probably more to do with not playing on decks very often like that one which turned square from day 1.

Not that I'm downplaying the bowling; bowled brilliantly. 12 poles on any deck, especially against that line-up, is something to be proud of.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Vettori does turn the ball on turning tracks, no doubt about it. The problem is, he almost never plays on turning tracks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone got any footage from New Zealand vs Sri Lanka at Basin Reserve in 2006/07? Seriously, we need a "Proof Vettori does still get turn" vid.

Vettori may have gone through a lengthy phase 2002-2004 where his struggles with his back meant he did not turn it much on anything, but he has certainly done so on plenty of occasions since 2004/05.

And if you gave him a pitch like that one tomorrow I'm confident he'd do every bit as well once again.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned. If my memory serves me correctly it was an absolute screamer of a catch too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember on our recent England tour he got a few to spit and bounce. Bowled a couple of absolute beauties in one match, forgot where it was, but I think he ended up having Pietersen caught by Taylor at first slip to one that turned.
Old Trafford - which has produced turners for the last 3 Tests it's staged. And on which MSP has cleaned-up.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I know I am old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I did not see any great turn in that video in the thread starter. The turn, where there was any, was marginal and what he was getting was to get the ball take the shoulder of the bat of batsmen who were bent on going forward and plonking their bats down in a bit of a hurry if you know what I mean. The length too was very good so it was good bowling but not indicative of any great turn.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Vettori lost that the spinning touch to his bowling recently. Mainly due to his captaincy and lack of concentration on bowling or may be the gully's reverse swing had a bigger impact then we thought.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know I am old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I did not see any great turn in that video in the thread starter. The turn, where there was any, was marginal and what he was getting was to get the ball take the shoulder of the bat of batsmen who were bent on going forward and plonking their bats down in a bit of a hurry if you know what I mean. The length too was very good so it was good bowling but not indicative of any great turn.
Hate to say it SJS, but if you didn't see a decent amount of turn in that little package, your eyesight is well & truly questionable