• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gary Gilder Signs For Somerset

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
It either smacks of desperation or is a cunning ploy which might ease up the injury crisis at Taunton. Somerset have recruited Gary Gilder who plys his trade with Natal to provide cover and take some strain off the other bowlers.

Zimbabwean Gilder is playing cricket in the Durham Senior League and presumably came to the attention of Somerset via Mr McLean also of Natal.

The official site has highlighted his 750 runs and many wickets while in England playing club cricket though perhaps more of interest are his efforts playing SA first class cricket:

2000/01 13 wickets @ 40.53
2001/02 1 wicket @ 88.00
1999/00 23 wickets @ 28.43

The obvious question I'm thinking is why didn't he play in the 2002/03 season (injury or not picked??) and what quality of player have Somerset picked up here?

Whether this is another Paul Jarvis or not remains to be seen but I hope not as the club has been embarrassed enough this season....

I will watch the SA game with interest.....

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good Point!

Slightly worrying! If he's not been picked for his country after they'd weeded out all their best players then he can't be top of the pile. Having said that, before I criticise a player I've never seen before, let's hang fire til he's played a game or two. Surely anything's better than recruiting Paul Jarvis who had already been retired some time when Somerset knocked on his door last summer...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Good Point!

jf2001 said:

<snip>

Surely anything's better than recruiting Paul Jarvis who had already been retired some time when Somerset knocked on his door last summer...
Jarvis's paper round wasn't paying his beer money.

Is Gilder classified as an 'overseas' player of did his grandad once buy a bottle of Heineken and consequently qualified for a European passport?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Good Point!

luckyeddie said:
Jarvis's paper round wasn't paying his beer money.

Is Gilder classified as an 'overseas' player of did his grandad once buy a bottle of Heineken and consequently qualified for a European passport?

He wont be classed as an overseas player because we have Cox and Mclean

I guess his grandmother went to Wales once as a young child, allowing Gilder to come in and take the place of yet another talented Englishmen (Gareth Andrew anyone??)..

Soon the English team will be purely made of South Africans, and then they will probably lose :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Good Point!

Jacques Rudolph said:

I guess his grandmother went to Wales once as a young child, allowing Gilder to come in and take the place of yet another talented Englishmen (Gareth Andrew anyone??)..
So Gilder is part man, part sheep?!