• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The retirement of Paul Wiseman

James

Cricket Web Owner
So, Paul Wiseman has announced his retirement to take up a coaching position with Canterbury.

Was wondering what people thought of him as a bowler? I don't think his record does his justice and thought he was a much better bowler than it shows.

How's his record been for Durham the past few years?

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
He was capable on tracks that gave him assistance to be on Par with Vettori but struggled when conditions didnt favour. I liked his debut test in Colombo he spun the lankans out and won NZ the game as his best. His action would be one of the more easier ones to copy in international cricket i thought

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was a decent bowler. Probably will always be remembered for being Shane Warne 356th victim (beating Dennis Lillie's record), though. :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Wiseman always had the ability to turn a ball, but two things:

- I didn't like his action - quite clunky and jerky
- he seemed to lack the temperament for regular international cricket.

A great servant of NZ domestic cricket though, and he'll cherish his 61 test wickets, no doubt.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
You know, he looked like a capable off-spinner when he was bowling, being reasonably accurate and able to turn it a fair way, but for some reason didn't get nearly as many wickets as he should've. Maybe it was due to a lack of variety - I don't remember him having much beyond his stock offie.

Howsie

International Captain
I never really rated him as a international bowler. Like someone has already stated he didn't really have too many variations.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Clearly not the style of bowler to really have a major impact at Test level in the era of covered wickets.

Hard to criticise the way he played the game. Looked to turn the ball, bowl aggressive deliveries. Limited by the simplicity in his bowling varieties. 18 years of top-level cricket is a fantastic achievement, really achieved the most out of himself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess he'll always cherish outbowling Shane Warne in 1999/2000 (along with Vettori and Colin Miller).

Never really thought much of him myself TBH but I suppose he must've done pretty well in NZ to have such a long career and be called-up to the national team so many times.

Flem274*

123/5
I guess he'll always cherish outbowling Shane Warne in 1999/2000 (along with Vettori and Colin Miller).

Never really thought much of him myself TBH but I suppose he must've done pretty well in NZ to have such a long career and be called-up to the national team so many times.
Actulay I'm not sure if he did. Most of our domestic spinners (including Vettori) have average to poor FC records.

See Jeetan Patel, who has probably had on average more success in his short test career than he has in domestic cricket. Its wierd.

_Ed_

I always rated Wiseman quite highly. It was ludicrous that the likes of Brooke Walker and Grant Bradburn were at times chosen ahead of him.

Howsie

International Captain
I always rated Wiseman quite highly. It was ludicrous that the likes of Brooke Walker and Grant Bradburn were at times chosen ahead of him.
Walker didn't play that much did he?

And wasn't Grant Bradburn more of an all-rounder?

_Ed_

Walker didn't play that much did he?

And wasn't Grant Bradburn more of an all-rounder?
Walker didn't play much, no. But I don't think he should ever have played at all - and I'm an Auckland fan.

And Bradburn batted 8, so maybe his batting did come into the selection equation, but he was the only spinner chosen in the team in the last Test he played. Should have been Wiseman instead, IMO.