• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2 Tier test system

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I stand corrected if this is not true but I am aware that back in the 50s and 60s, the likes of England and Australia (then the established cricket teams) would send effectively A teams for their test matches against newly established test nations such as India and Pakistan.

Why not ressurect that old system where a tour a calendar of 5 day B-tests is organised for England lions/India Blues, or whatever A team happens to to be available to tour the current 8 Intercontinental Cup associates for quick two or three match series. Kenya has got two teams to visti since 2007, so why not develop it into a full calendar where every test team sends its A team on...say 2 tours to two different assoviates every year.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Would be for that idea. Don't think it could be a full time thing, but at least one tour a year from an 'A' team from each the top countries of an associate to play 5 day matches (call them FC, or International 'A' matches) would provide something for the associates to hang their hats on.

The ICC would obviously have to substitute it, but it could move the T20 World Championship to a six-monthly basis to rack up the extra dough :dry:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I stand corrected if this is not true but I am aware that back in the 50s and 60s, the likes of England and Australia (then the established cricket teams) would send effectively A teams for their test matches against newly established test nations such as India and Pakistan.

Why not ressurect that old system where a tour a calendar of 5 day B-tests is organised for England lions/India Blues, or whatever A team happens to to be available to tour the current 8 Intercontinental Cup associates for quick two or three match series. Kenya has got two teams to visti since 2007, so why not develop it into a full calendar where every test team sends its A team on...say 2 tours to two different assoviates every year.
Not really in 56 when Aus came to Pakistan it was more or less the full strength side the got Fazalled and later on same happened to full strength Windies. England visited just once in 60's and that was a full squad though there were few unoffical tests against MCC.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really in 56 when Aus came to Pakistan it was more or less the full strength side the got Fazalled and later on same happened to full strength Windies. England visited just once in 60's and that was a full squad though there were few unoffical tests against MCC.
I satnd corrected

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

That'd be a good call. It would be good to see touring sides play three or four day games against Ireland or Scotland when visiting England, but first they'd have to solve the issue of any good players being unavailable for the county cricket season.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
I find it difficult to reconcile the argument against a current Test side being relegated "as they would have to serve x many years playing lower class teams which would do their cricket no good" or words to that effect. Surely the same applies to the top IC team (currently Ireland) who are refused any possibility of improving by playing top opposition.

At least a promotion/relegation system with play-off's between top tier 2 and bottom tier 1 would reward the better cricket team. Surely Test cricket is about having the best possible teams playing each other. If a team is not one of the best, they should make way for a better one irrespective of where those teams are from or how recently the game was taken up there.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I am a bit alien to the idea could someone kindly give some details as to the format of these tests.