Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ICC gives umpire reviews the go-ahead

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    The nonsensical part was the incompetency of some of the umpires and the rules being ambiguous enough.
    I think the "incompetence" reached such absurd levels that you cannot be confident it will improve. I think it's simply a system which is impossible to work with competence. Time will tell.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I'm amused by the irony of this.

What evidence are you referring to? The evidence, presumably, of you seeing replays and forming the view that the umpire / video umpire has got certain decisions wrong. And of course if you can form such views accurately - and I'm sure you believe you can - based on video evidence, then so can video umpires.
    It's easy to say that when you've no hands in the till. Not so easy when you're charged with reversing or not reversing decisions. The heat being off and the heat being on have rarely been so apparent.
    It's just a question of getting good decision-makers who understand their brief and who have the skill and confidence to carry it out. And, given time, that will happen.
    Will it? As I say, I'd not be anywhere near so confident of that as you are.

And even if it were true, there are still better ways to go about it.
    Last edited by Richard; 29-06-2009 at 07:32 AM.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Quote Originally Posted by geraintismyhero View Post
    i would prefer the umpires to be able to refer decisions themselves, like in the ill-fated stanford super series
    awtac
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And even if it were true, there are still better ways to go about it.
    If I remember your argument rightly, your view is that if they're going to have video referrals etc then they should go much further than they have.

In my view, the fact that it might be a good idea to go further is not a reason not to take the limited steps that are being taken. The current changes are radical enough as it is, particularly given the inherent conservatism within the game, its administrators and players and followers. For this reason, and a number of other good reasons, if the system is to develop still further, such development should be evolutionary and incremental.

All our plans will be overtaken by better ones, but only if we get started. (A science fiction writer whose name eludes me wrote something along these lines regarding space probes - all our space probes will be overtaken by newer faster probes, so it might be tempting to believe fallaciously that we shouldn't bother sending the first probe in the first place - I read about it in a Dawkins book - perhaps one of our sci-fi-literate CW members will help remind me who wrote it and what the theory/story was called).
    Last edited by zaremba; 30-06-2009 at 03:54 AM.

My view is that the path we're going along to get to the whole hog is completely and totally the wrong one, and that there are better routes to take.

For instance, it beggars belief to me that there's been a Cyclops in tennis for, well... a long time... and 17 years on from the first use of third-Umpires in cricket there is still no mechanism being developed which uses technology to call no-balls rather than leaving it to the bowler's-end Umpire. This, as I've said 1,000,000 times or so, should have been the first thing which was done, not a few piddling calls on whether a ball went for four or six.

Well now that they're doing this very thing (for disputed dismissals), you should be pleased, and you can spare yourself your 1,000,002nd complaint about their failure to have done so hitherto

You might say that they've not gone far enough yet, but evolutionary and incremental is the way that they should, and will, go.

As I say - the evolution is, if things go this way, following a course of evolution that is direly bad, IMO.

And they're not taking the calling of no-balls out of the hands of the bowler's-end Umpire at all - all they're doing is checking, at random, whether an occasional ball is a no-ball. There are immeasurable benefits attached to the scheme whereby all checking of the bowler on the return-crease and popping-crease is done by technology.
    Last edited by Richard; 30-06-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And they're not taking the calling of no-balls out of the hands of the bowler's-end Umpire at all - all they're doing is checking, at random, whether an occasional ball is a no-ball.
    The longest march starts with a single (over)step.

Doesn't beggar belief at all. It's a much more difficult challenge.

A sensible compromise, if they have a camera aimed at the crease full time, would be to have a 'linesman' watching that feed everyball able to signal any overstep to the umpire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Doesn't beggar belief at all. It's a much more difficult challenge.
    It's far from easy, but with the technology we have available, far, far, far more complicated things are do-able than it.
    A sensible compromise, if they have a camera aimed at the crease full time, would be to have a 'linesman' watching that feed everyball able to signal any overstep to the umpire.
    That is one option, but it seems to me to be a bit of an over-man-power option. A machine could do it more easily and with less potential for error.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The longest march starts with a single (over)step.
    That step has to be along the requisite path though - this one isn't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information