Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reintroduction of the Substitute rule

Reintroduction of the Substitute rule

Given how T20s have evolved i think having this rule back again, would make the format even more appealing.

As most would remember the way ICC structured the rule the last time, where by the captain had to name his sub before the toss instead of after the toss, really was stupid. I was always a fan of it & i believe it should come back.

Opinions??

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    No thanks, not a fan.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    With dav, tried it and was wholly unsatisfying.

Part of the joy of cricket is balancing a team, IMHO.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Would go well enough in Twenty20 I guess (I obviously don't care either way) and could possibly have been useful in ODIs, but I'm happy enough it's been abandoned, as it didn't really add much.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It was an epic fail. I'd agree that it could have been used better but would not like to see it again.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Given how T20s have evolved i think having this rule back again, would make the format even more appealing.

As most would remember the way ICC structured the rule the last time, where by the captain had to name his sub before the toss instead of after the toss, really was stupid. I was always a fan of it & i believe it should come back.

Opinions??
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    It was an epic fail. I'd agree that it could have been used better but would not like to see it again.
    It was as an epic fail cos they tried to force it in where it was almost completely inconsequential. Perhaps if they could implement it for injuries. Perhaps if a player is injured before he takes to the crease to bat or to bowl in a way that rules him out, there could be a case to get a replacement.(e.g if a batsmen turn ankle, or didlocates a shoulder when the team is fielding first they can have an option of bringing in a replacement batsman rather than chase wityh only 10 fit men)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    It was as an epic fail cos they tried to force it in where it was almost completely inconsequential. Perhaps if they could implement it for injuries. Perhaps if a player is injured before he takes to the crease to bat or to bowl in a way that rules him out, there could be a case to get a replacement.(e.g if a batsmen turn ankle, or didlocates a shoulder when the team is fielding first they can have an option of bringing in a replacement batsman rather than chase wityh only 10 fit men)
    Would be abused IMHO.

Nah, nobody's ever abused the substitute fielder rule so I don't see why this would be any different

Nah, nobody's ever abused the substitute fielder rule so I don't see why this would be any different
    Fair point and anyone who suggests otherwise is a mint-obsessed Aussie, clearly.

Unlike the general impression seem to have T20 has very few innovations as far as rules etc. go. It is basically just an old style ODI (ie when it had 15 powerplay overs) cut down to proportionally to a 20 over per side. The only difference I can think of is the free hit.

ODIs these days have far more gimmicks and complicated rules. You've got the regular power play at the start, then you have another two power play chosen by each side with slightly different fielding restrictions to the first power play. You've got the ball being replaced at 35 overs. You've got a more exaggerated day/night element. Still have the free hit. And of course on top of that the rules change on a regular basis.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    that used to be the case but IIRC in the first test of the 06/07 Ashes, the Aussies CATSOTG(completely against the spirit of the game) decided to employ Ryan Broad when the could feel the game slipping away from them as Strauss settled in for a triple at the start of England's second innings when they only needed a paltry 648 to win.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    No, no way. Tried and failed. Cricket is an eleven-a-side sport; it was often rendered redundant by the toss; it confused an already confusing form of the game, without adding anything of any substance to it.

Also with Scaly here, I don't think I could explain the basic playing conditions of ODIs ATM, so what chance has the average punter in the ground got?

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    I was never a fan of it, and I don't feel as though the ICC used it well enough. We don't need our sport slowly turning into baseball.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Pass

In its own way T20 is a pure and simple game.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    that used to be the case but IIRC in the first test of the 06/07 Ashes, the Aussies CATSOTG(completely against the spirit of the game) decided to employ Ryan Broad when the could feel the game slipping away from them as Strauss settled in for a triple at the start of England's second innings when they only needed a paltry 648 to win.
    Fair point, that's the reason I don't acknowledge the series at all tbh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information