• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Bresnan

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
hi. why is Tim Bresnan in the ashes squad? he looks rubbish? Is he a utility player? he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore so what has he got to offer?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
hi. why is Tim Bresnan in the ashes squad? he looks rubbish? Is he a utility player? he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore so what has he got to offer?
A little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I agree with you though. Two half players do not make a whole one.

FBU

International Debutant
In case Flintoff breaks down. Bresnan looks average to me. I would rather go with the extra batsman and 4 bowlers if anything happens to Flintoff.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
spinners

if we play with one or more spinners though then surely we dont need him, we could just have a proper batsmen.

and if we're that desperate to kill a few tight overs then we already have people in the squad that can do that. collingwood, pietersen, bell etc.

does bresnan move the ball about at all? like swing or anything? cause this series is at home swing might happen.

if bresnan is meant to be a back up for flintoff that is an extremely poor one. don't even know how you can mention both in the same breath tbh.

If anything rashid should be called that role.

btw saw a great interview with shane warne on the bbc site

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the perception amongst the selectors (not one I share myself) is that he's the closest like-for-like replacement for Flintoff. However Broad at 7 versus the Windies is one thing, against Oz it's faintly terrifying, so I personally think we'd stack the batting if Fred does break down; with a combo of Collingwood and Bopara as the 5th bowling option.

Bresnan is essentially a waste of a selection IMHO.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the perception amongst the selectors (not one I share myself) is that he's the closest like-for-like replacement for Flintoff. However Broad at 7 versus the Windies is one thing, against Oz it's faintly terrifying, so I personally think we'd stack the batting if Fred does break down; with a combo of Collingwood and Bopara as the 5th bowling option.

Bresnan is essentially a waste of a selection IMHO.
Yea but the next batsman in line is Bell and we know he'll perform like a glorified tailender against Australia anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Merge with England squad thread in Ashes subforum IMO.

Anyway, Bresnan is hardly ancient - he's less than a year older than me FFS - but he's not all that good and is highly unlikely ever to be. Yet another player to add to the "should never have been anywhere near Test cricket" list of England Test cricketers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
His bowling looks better than when he was first picked in 06. ATM yea clearly he aint test quality, but he's a big strong whiteboy, got some potential & room for improvement. Anything can happen with him really..

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perhaps he's just there for luck - England have never beaten Australia without a Yorkie putting in an appearance at some point in the series

Actually that is wrong - I was counting Bill Athey in 86/87 but he'd moved on to Gloucs by then so that blows that theory !

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Shame on the lot of you :ph34r:
To be fair, I have always liked his action-- which is very, very rare for me. I wrote this over 5 years ago.

Bresnan- From what little I have seen, I have no immediate concerns technically (maybe with more viewing there will be some). He has a strong left arm, a braced left leg, left arm fires towards offstump in delivery and he transfers his weight well in his action.
He just now seems to have built on that and become stronger, more skilled and more professional. Its hard not to like the look of him at the moment. A brilliant depth player. Can he kick on and become a regular and then on to be World class? I dont know.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed so good I want detailed evaluations on every test regular bowler
Cheers. I could do all that a few years ago as I was a cricket coach-- and a bloody good quick bowling coach-- and I had more time on my hands and I was thinking about cricket 24/7. I try to only post about things I know about and, unfortunately, I now just dont have the knowledge or the time to look at new players. Also, being out to the cricket trade means I think far less about the sport, especially the analytical stuff, than I used to.