• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ISHANT SHARMA-- new-age Ajit Agarkar??!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Myself, I'd be playing him every chance I got. Dropping him is no way to make him better at bowling in T20's or ODI's, if that's the intention.
No, but if he's never going to be good at Twenty20 and ODI (not commenting on whether he is or isn't BTW) then picking him is only a bad idea, because it'll undoubtedly harm his Test prospects, via whatever means. And there's all sorts of ways it could do.

Howsie

International Captain
I think I should have added the word consistently in my post Southee has been pretty crap apart from one or two good outings.
His test debut and his four wickets against Australia were his two test highpoints. He has done fairly well in ODI cricket though. If you take out his recent hammering by India he did average in the 20's for ODI cricket which is very good for a 19 year old. Plus he was player of the series against England over there in 2008.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
On Ishant Sharma:
So, many over here rated Ishant as a promising,talented..etc. cricketer based on these facts
1)He is tall !! 8-) [so what? Veniktesh Prasad was also of similar height!!]

2)He troubled Ponting, at 20.!! [ Everyone knows that ponting was/is in the falling side of his career ..]

3)Bowled well on Flat-tracks like India's. [ Just think the likes of Kapil dev, Manoj Prabhakar , J.Srinath,Prasad, RP,Sreesanth, Zaheer,AA,Irfan etc....all have performed well on Indian tracks, in Tests ]

BTW,I wanted to tell he is a poor performer in 20-20 [proof: 25-plus IPL matches, 9 Internationals he played so far], so he shouldn't ve been in the T-20 team. [He may be a better player in Tests where no one really is looking to go after you]

Woodster

International Captain
On Ishant Sharma:
So, many over here rated Ishant as a promising,talented..etc. cricketer based on these facts
1)He is tall !! 8-) [so what? Veniktesh Prasad was also of similar height!!]

2)He troubled Ponting, at 20.!! [ Everyone knows that ponting was/is in the falling side of his career ..]

3)Bowled well on Flat-tracks like India's. [ Just think the likes of Kapil dev, Manoj Prabhakar , J.Srinath,Prasad, RP,Sreesanth, Zaheer,AA,Irfan etc....all have performed well on Indian tracks, in Tests ]

BTW,I wanted to tell he is a poor performer in 20-20 [proof: 25-plus IPL matches, 9 Internationals he played so far], so he shouldn't ve been in the T-20 team. [He may be a better player in Tests where no one really is looking to go after you]
Being tall is very useful to help a bowler gain some added bounce, but that alone does not make someone a good bowler! He uses his height well, bowls a good back of a length that yes, did trouble ricky Ponting, consistently, and we all know how good a batsman Ponting still is.

The way Ishant and Zaheer used the old ball to extract reverse swing on otherwise lifeless tracks against Australia was a feature in them winning the series. The accuracy they demonstrated and to trouble batsmen that were set with a 60 over ball was impressive.

He may not have caught on to the new tricks needed in T20 cricket, and the variations in length and everything else, but it does not mean he is not a precocious world talent in the longer formats. I happen to think he is good enough to adjust his game and will be a main player in the T20 sides of the future, however, if I was an Indian fan I wouldn't be too worried about his T20 form providing he maintained his threat in the 5 day version.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Indian supporters should have little reason to worry about Ishant Sharma's poor T20 showings.

If we use T20 as the sole basis of judging quality cricketers we could also draw the following conclusions; Michael Clarke is the worst batsman in the world, Dilshan is far and away the greatest batsman in the world, and Ajmal is a better spinner than Muralitharan.

Every test series he has looked top class. Maintained a healthy average without having a truly breakout performance. You get the feeling Sharma is on the verge of turning the corner and becoming one of the more potent bowlers in world cricket.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Opposite of Agarkar IMO. Agarkar had a good OD record, but was **** in tests. Sharma has been fairly average in OD's, but looks the goods in Tests.