• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Will be Overseas Player in 2004?

Who Should Somerset Have as Oversea Players in 2004?

• Nixon McLean Plus Batsman?

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Nixon McLean Plus Another Bowler?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two New Batsmen?

• Two New Bowlers?

• One of Each for Good Measure??

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has Nixon done enough to warrant another year or are fans worried about his fitness??

I'll try and remember to actually add a poll this time...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's gonna be Nixon and probably another Aussie batsman to replace Jamie Cox. But who will it be?

Andre

International Regular
I'll have a stab here and suggest that Jamie Cox will recommend Michael Dighton as an overseas player and he will be duly signed.

As for the other one, possibly a spinner - Cameron White, Hauritz, some mug with the ability of a tin can like those 2?

Forgive me if I'm harsh. I can just see another Collins Obuya disaster on the horizon.

Rich2001

International Captain
I have heard that S Ganguly has got in contact with the Kent people and has asked to become of of our overseas players for next season.

Feel free to offer him lots so we can actually get a decent player, or at least one who will actually be a team player... unlike his time with Lancashire, where he became one of the most hated players ever!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Collins Obuya Disaster? I can't see what you mean?

Rumours I've read today are that Lance Klusener is in talks with Somerset.

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Yeah I heard he spoke to Kent as well, but we have used up our allotment of overseas, players but they could have ment next season.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Collins Obuya Disaster? I can't see what you mean?

Nooooooo That would just be too good to be true :P

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Klusener

The Klusener rumour is regarding next season. He is over playing for Lashings CC and talking to Somerset and Kent at the same time about 2004. Cox is retiring so its possible and as Nixon plays for Natal as does Klusener then the rumour makes perfect sense. Think he would be a very sensible signing as long as hes around for the season and not a fe games here and there.

Went to see Lashings CC play Kent today and it was a excellent afternoon's cricket even if kent eneded up being spanked. If today's show is anything to go by then I suggest you all get to the County ground for the Somerset game on Monday.

For the interest of Rich2001 and anyone else, he's a bit on the Lashings match:

Just come back from Canterbury (complete with sunburn) where Lashings took on Kent and it was a splendid match unless you're a Kent supporter...and especially if you're Rob Key.
Lashings team had Klusener (allegedly thinking of signing for Somerset or Kent - any thoughts?? I imagine the connection again is via Nixon being another natal player)

Kent team was under-strength and basically ended up losing by 50-odd runs after Lashings notched up 185 in 20 over thanks to a classy knock of 70 from Chris Harris (NZ), who rained sixes down over the stand I was in including one which clattered my mate's Alfa Romeo. My first view of Martin Saggers who got 2-20 and looked excellent. (Would be a fine signing for Somerset but would never leave Kent) Rob Key looked thoroughly miserable after being predictably dropped for SA series . He fielded like a plum and then made even his home support laugh at him by running himself out in the first over of the Kent reply without bothering to run his bat in. Looked like a man that needed this Lashings game like a kick in the nuts.

Lashings put out a very strong team (Williams, Campbell, Mark Waugh, Richardson, Harris, Murray, McCague) and Curtly Ambrose (1-11) was awesome. Not sure if the team vs Somerset will differ much but Lashings looked really up for the Kent game and Somerset will need to play very well to beat the best village team in England.

One other thing. There's been plenty of comment about Somerset's youngsters - some good some bad - but Kent played what I assume was their 2nd Xi keeper who looked no more than 16. I suggest we snap him up as he was completely unfazed behind the stumps, buzzing around and then scored 13 including a massive six over Lance K which fizzed out of the ground. Kent have themselves a little gem there.

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
RE Michael Dighton

Andre, I have to say that I'd like us to get Dighton as he's versatile. Bowl a little spin, has been known to keep wicket and can certainly bat. Somerset were looking to sneak him in for this year via a dodgy EU backdoor but couldn't. I would certainly prefer him to Bryant....

Rich2001

International Captain
Hey John

I was at the ground today myself, I got some photo's for the site (might see yourself)

Onto the cricket yep we gave the big boys a rest and allowed some of the younger guys some match pratice, O Brien is indeed the 2nd X1 WK and he has been tipped as just as good if not better than G Jones (hard act to follow) but as you say he had a great day and wasn't put off by the world stars.

As for the team to face Somerset tommorow, there are a few changes the side is:-

Stuart Williams, Sherwin Campbell, Craig McMillan, Mark Waugh, Richie Richardson, Chris Harris, Viv Richards, Jimmy Adams, Lance Klusener, Franklyn Rose, Curtly Ambrose, Mohammad Akram.

Hope to write a report for CW but unfortuantly nither Kent or Lashings have posted the scorecard yet so will have to wait until tommorow now.

Rich2001

International Captain
By the way why did you come to the match? was you in the area already? seems a long way to come espically when the same team will be playing your county just down the road from where you live the next day....

Shame, although it was a meanless match (in terms of it's not Leauge cricket etc) and was the best oppotunity to give the first X1 a rest - It's a shame because I honestly feel our first team could have pushed them all the way (we did win last year afterall :D ) - And espically for people like yourself who have travled along way to find we had a 2nd X1 out - mind you I probley would have been the first to mock if we won with a 2nd X1 team :lol:

<Excuse> - Would have been a whole differnt ball game had that same little fielder held both those catches in the space of an over when both Harris and McMillian were in the 30's - But what can the poor guy do about the first one, somebody put a rope in his way, he could have tripped over! :lol: :lol:

Andre

International Regular
Re: RE Michael Dighton

jf2001 said:
Andre, I have to say that I'd like us to get Dighton as he's versatile. Bowl a little spin, has been known to keep wicket and can certainly bat. Somerset were looking to sneak him in for this year via a dodgy EU backdoor but couldn't. I would certainly prefer him to Bryant....
Yeah, I can't see him giving up his Australian eligibility just yet, I think he is more than capable of making it somewhere (at least Australia A, should he perform over the next few summers).

One thing is for sure though, he will perform if he is one of the overseas players. Tasmania generally always get good runs from him. a lot like Cox in his runscoring approach.