• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh vs Australia Series

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Alot has been said over the last couple of weeks about the point of this series. the latesrt example is the following

The former Australian batsman David Hookes has come down heavily on Bangladesh's cricket status, saying that Steve Waugh's Australians should humiliate them in the two-Test series that starts next week.

Hookes, now a prominent television commentator, sees a possibility of both Tests turning out to be one-day affairs. "Steve Waugh should send them in to bat, bowl them out before lunch, bat until tea and declare, then send them back in and roll them again before stumps," he said. "It could be all over and done with in a day. The reality is that Bangladesh doesn't deserve to be in Test cricket and they certainly shouldn't be given any favours out on the field."

Hookes added: "If the Australian team is being true to the Test cap, their aim will be go to out there and annihilate Bangladesh."

Australia, Test cricket's strongest side, take on Bangladesh in two Tests - starting at Darwin on July 18 and Cairns on July 25 - in a series that could see many new records set.

© Wisden CricInfo Ltd

now that reasonable, but on the Fat last week they were talking about us batting first, going to 1000, bowling them out twice in the last day of the match.

so the question remains, if Australia wins the Toss, do we bat or Bowl???

masterblaster

International Captain
Either way, its going to be the most uninteresting, most onesided test series in cricketing history.

Unless a miracle happens or it simply rains a lot up in Darwin and Cairns, which is rather unlikely at this point.

The only possibly attractive feature of this test series will be that a few records are bound to be broken.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I really support this series. Everyone seems to be saying it shouldn't be happening but how are the Bang side going to improve unless they play these team. The got test status because they deserved it and while they haven't found there feet yet, just remember it is a big step up and they aren't the first team to stuggle with it.

It will be great experience for these players. It can only be for the good.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
This week's DD column concentrates on this (and David Hookes' ramblings).

His suggestion that a test could be over in a day is probably the most ridiculous thing I have heard for one simple reason...

The only way is for Bangladesh to bat first. Let's suppose they only last 25 overs.

Aussies then declare after 40 overs of their own innings, allowing 25 overs to bowl them out again. Yeah, that's REALLY going to happen. Even allowing the extra half an hour, this is not going to happen ever in test cricket IMO - and this tour is the only one it could ever conceivably do so.

Even if Bangladesh were bowled out for below 50 (quite possible, looking at Zimbabwe's standard this summer), the Aussies would not declare with less than 300 on the board.

The guy hasn't thought things through.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
masterblaster said:
The only possibly attractive feature of this test series will be that a few records are bound to be broken.
dont forget the punters, we have genuine interest in the series.
first test im taking Langer for most runs in the first innings.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol, im stuffed to work out whos gonna get the most wickets though, Mcgrath aint bowling that well at the moment, but Bangladesh wont be able to face lee, and gillespies bowling well and hes got good pace too

Simon

brett lee is the one i would go for. but i dont bet on that option.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Whats the point in rubbing it in? Makes it look like BD are uninvited guests to Australia.

Even when India toured down under in 2000, or England recently, we knew that a crushing defeat is on the cards. I remember Lele (then Secretary, BCCI, and loudmouth) predicted a 3-0 defeat before we left India's shores.

It's pretty clear that Bangladesh are up against it, and will likely be crushed quite humiliatingly. But it appears to me that people like Hookes and Lillee are either being exceedingly arrogant or are simply bragging. It's good to hear Gilli and Waugh welcome the tigers.

Isam

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bangladesh will improve. So we don't mind if there are a few records going against us. New Zealand and India took a lot of time to get into the Test groove. So I guess we better be patient.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Bangladesh Australia Series

age_master said:

now that reasonable, but on the Fat last week they were talking about us batting first, going to 1000, bowling them out twice in the last day of the match.
It would take you just over 2 days to get to 1000! Would you bowl them out, not enforce the follow-on, then smash a quick 600 or so then skittle them again?!

Cloete

International Captain
broncoman said:
Well maybe, but i enjoy it, so who cares.
the bank you are loaning money from. they do actually want u to pay them bak u know? so do ur parents:P

Simon

Cloete said:
the bank you are loaning money from. they do actually want u to pay them bak u know? so do ur parents:P
Shhhhh............ dont tell anyone

Langeveldt

Soutie
masterblaster said:
Either way, its going to be the most uninteresting, most onesided test series in cricketing history.

Why?? personally i cant wait too see all the records we have celebrated over the years (Laker, Kumble, Lara, Laxman + Dravid) come tumbling down... Its going to be fun, although not if you are a Bangla supporter!

Simon

i hope people wont be disapointed if Australia get bowled out for under 500. and dont bowl Bangladesh out for less that 100 every time. They may be crap but they are a test side. They have performed decently against the opposition so far on the tour.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
broncoman said:
i hope people wont be disapointed if Australia get bowled out for under 500. and dont bowl Bangladesh out for less that 100 every time. They may be crap but they are a test side. They have performed decently against the opposition so far on the tour.
To be fair it's the Australians who have set themselves such high standards - I know I am disappointed if I don't get 90% in exams - so in an "easier" environment, it's really a "failure" for the Aussies if they don't win by an innings and shedloads.

Simon

i expect them to win in a canter without a doubt, but its test cricket, as bad as bangladesh are all 11 players they select can play cricket. The key thing for them will be focus and concentration. They cant afford to let a 100 run stand in quick time get them down. Under Dav Whatmore im sure this will be foremost in their minds.
While they obviously dont have the world class players australia do so their best chance will be pressure. try bowling a good line and length and not try anything special. Guys like Hayden, Ponting and Gilchirst wont like 3 or 4 maidens bowled in a row to them. And if they keep at it theres always a chance of grabbing a couple of quick wickets and maybe having australia 6/390 in stead of 3/420.