• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh vs Australia Series

Craig

World Traveller
Anybody can beat any side on its day. Zimbabwe beat Australia in the 1983 World Cup, and that was Zimbabwe's first ever ODI, and that Australian side included Lillee, Marsh, Border etc.

Bangladesh is in some winning form winning two and unlucky in the first, Australia lost their last Test and have lost their last three ODIs, and I am not surprised that Gilchirst is saying that Australia will respect Bangladesh and the like, because he usually likes to play Mr Diplomat.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, but the only way bangladesh are gonna beat Australia is if we dont respect them, if we do, they dont stand a chance

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
According to the Australians, they do respect them.
As it should be.

It's clods like Hookes who are actually doing Australian cricket a disservice as opposed to just belittling Bangladesh.

Craig

World Traveller
The Australians respect every opposition they play, they say this publicatly so people wont perseve them as arrogrant.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cewrtainly, the Australian players have made all the right noises in the run-up to the first test - and frankly, it doesn't hurt.

There's always the possibility that they are impressed with the start they have made to the tour.

In Dav Whatmore, they have a coach worthy of respect too.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yet England's dim start to their Ashes tour saw them written off as no-hopers because they couldn't compete with Australia A or Queensland or whoever.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
Hmm as i have said in other threads i would not read too much into those lead up games
You don't read much into anyth......

Oh dear, I've turned into R..... hang on, I'll come in again.

Not at all - although I hardly think that the Australian players in the lead-up games who found themselves on the wrong end of a defeat by Bangladesh did themselves much good with respect to any future call-ups - quite the reverse.

But then again, is there any disgrace in losing to a test-playing nation?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Bazza said:
Yet England's dim start to their Ashes tour saw them written off as no-hopers because they couldn't compete with Australia A or Queensland or whoever.
Bangladesh got to play much weeker team's though.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
Anybody can beat any side on its day. Zimbabwe beat Australia in the 1983 World Cup, and that was Zimbabwe's first ever ODI, and that Australian side included Lillee, Marsh, Border etc.

Bangladesh is in some winning form winning two and unlucky in the first, Australia lost their last Test and have lost their last three ODIs, and I am not surprised that Gilchirst is saying that Australia will respect Bangladesh and the like, because he usually likes to play Mr Diplomat.
Thats true in One Day cricket but In Test Cricket I cant possibly see Australia losing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Which is also what certain people felt one morning in Leeds, 22 years ago :P
Like me. Not Dennis nor Rodney though. Can't pull the wool over their eyes.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Dave Whatmore might have a positive influence over Bangladeshi cricket over a period of time, but this series will see them mercilessly run over by the Aussie juggernaut. All those lead-up games won't count for much when they get to the real nitty-gritty, ie tests.

It's easy to say that Bangladesh under Whatmore will show more spine and all that, all the spine in the world will not make up for the gulf of difference between the playing abilities of the two teams. As I said before, unless the Aussies grow totally complacent and careless, this is going to be a total rout.