• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's 'One Caps Wonders' XI

stumpski

International Captain
This may have been done before, but a few new names have entered the mix since then perhaps. The idea for this came to me when I was reminded that former Surrey paceman Matt Nicholson played once for Australia, against Stewart's team in 1998-99. Can we get a decent one caps side for each of the main sides? I won't offer one for England, but personally I would want to see the likes of Alan Wells, Alan Butcher and Charlie Parker in there. Tempted to pick Alan Jones as well, but it wasn't an official Test and too many Alans will make it a bit like the Pythons' 'Bruces' sketch. A surprising number of keepers to choose from as well if you go back far enough; I imagine that England have more of these players than all other teams combined. :dry:

The exercise can be repeated for ODIs as well of course (Wells qualifies for both teams). Without giving too much away, some pretty handy players only played in one limited-overs international.

Oh and if someone could alter the title to 'one cap wonders' I think it would read better - thanks.

Last edited:

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Stuart Law is an Aussie who immediatly springs to mind. He was unlucky to be in such an awesome era of Aussie cricket.

For us, we've had Amjad Khan and Darren Pattinson. Lol

WG Grace's brother (Fred IIRC?) played 1 test for us and that had nothing to do with the fact his bro was WG......

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Three Grace brothers played in 1880 in the first ever test on English soil - for older brother EM and young Fred 'twas their only appearance - Fred bagged a pair and was dead less than three weeks later ............. it's a strange game

stumpski

International Captain
WG Grace's two brothers each played in one Test - the same match in fact, in 1880 - but EM was much the better player, although he was probably past his best by then.

Looking down the list of one-cappers I was struck by the number of opening batsmen - George Emmett, Andy Lloyd, Mark Benson, Dennis Brookes, Jim Parks senior, and more besides. Are the selectors less tolerant of failures by an opener? It would seem very harsh if that were really the case.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Three Grace brothers played in 1880 in the first ever test on English soil - for older brother EM and young Fred 'twas their only appearance - Fred bagged a pair and was dead less than three weeks later ............. it's a strange game
I thought EM played more than 1 test.

Don't know why since it's obviously not true. :blink:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not my countries but it was against mine.

ICC World XI
1 G. Smith
2 V. Sehwag
3 R. Dravid
4 B. Lara
5 J. Kallis
6 I. Ul Haq
7 A. Flintoff
8 M. Boucher
9 D. Vettori
10 S. Harmison
11 M. Muraltharan

stumpski

International Captain
They weren't good enough either were they!

I've come up with one for England, this outfit would give a good account of themselves I think:

George Emmett (Glos, capt)

A Jardine-esque captain (professional, though) who controversially replaced Len Hutton, of all people, for one match midway through the 1948 Ashes.

Jim Parks senior (Sussex)

Father of the England and Sussex wicket-keeper batsman, he opened with fellow debutant Hutton in his only Test, aainst NZ in 1937. Holds a unique double, the only man to score 3000 runs and take 100 wickets in the same season.

Andrew Ducat (Surrey)

Now maybe best remembered for dropping dead at a wartime match at Lord's in 1942.

Alan Wells (Sussex and Kent)

Copped a first-baller, caught at short leg off Ambrose, on debut at the Oval in 1995. Had captained the previous winter's 'A' tour to India.

Paul Parker (Sussex)

In 1976 hit a double-hundred for Cambridge University v Essex, the last university batsman to achieve the feat for almost 30 years. Top class cover fielder.

Norman Oldfield (Lancashire)

Hit 80 and 19 against West Indies in his only Test in 1939. Never played again as the outbreak of war caused England's planned tour of India to be cancelled.

Alec Coxon (Yorkshire)

Fast bowling all-rounder who also made his only appearance against the 'Invincibles.'

George Pope (Derbyshire)

Bowled Derby to their only Championship in 1936 with fellow all-rounder Bill Copson.

'Hopper' Levett (Kent)

Made 195 stumpings in first-class cricket, most off the bowling of Freeman and Wright.

Simon Brown (Durham)

Carried the newest county's attack for most of his career.

Charlie Parker (Gloucs)

3278 first-class wickets, including 200 in a season five times. But suffered from being contemporary with Rhodes and Woolley.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think I'd try to find room for Father Marriott in there, myself. 11 wickets on debut (albeit at 38*), toured India in the winter but didn't add to his tally.

Suppose our spin reserves were rather better back then.

Trying to think of current OCWs still playing: can think of Khan, Pattinson, Blackwell, Lewis, Kabir, Gavin Hamilton (sort of still playing)...

Any others? Would guess Kabir or Amjad the most likely to add to their tally.

*aged 38, not 38 per wicket. :p

Matt79

Global Moderator
Did Chris Rogers play one test, or two for Aus?

EDIT: Only the one. Quality opening batsman, who will be unlucky not to play more - although he could still add to his tally if two of Hughes, Katich, and Jaques go down with injury.

So we have for Australia:
Chris Rogers
-
-
Stuart Law
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Did Chris Rogers play one test, or two for Aus?

EDIT: Only the one. Quality opening batsman, who will be unlucky not to play more - although he could still add to his tally if two of Hughes, Katich, and Jaques go down with injury.

So we have for Australia:
Chris Rogers
-
-
Stuart Law
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Over 50 to choose from in fact, including a number of recent debutants. I can supply you with the name of a keeper, although New South Welshmen will know who I mean.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Since the early 90's I can recall.

Emery, Young, Phillips, McGain, Cullen, Nicholson, Law, Rogers, Bollinger, Casson and Wilson.

Not sure if I missed any. That is enough to make an XI, too many bowlers though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Since the early 90's I can recall.

Emery, Young, Phillips, McGain, Cullen, Nicholson, Law, Rogers, Bollinger, Casson and Wilson.

Not sure if I missed any. That is enough to make an XI, too many bowlers though.
None where actually one cap wonders though, excpet for Law probably.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yet another Banerjee, Shute Banerjee played the only test in 1949 against WI, took 5 wickets @ 25, and was forgotten. He ended his career with 385 FC wickets @ 26.
The man who score 124 against Surrey in 1946 from number 11 - Sarwate at number 10 got a century as well - It was certainly the first time that 10 and 11 had both scored centuries and I don't think it's been done since