• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your biggest six...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Fun little late-night topic here, motivated by me finding the middle of my bat for possibly the first and only time in my life. The riders to this are that the bowler was 11 years old, he had cleaned me out in the two preceding balls, and my shot selection all afternoon was "try to put it in the college car park", but I finally managed to get one out of the school grounds... and never mind into the car park, well over it.

Estimating the distance off Google Maps and the scale bar suggests 93 metres... it was far further than anything I've ever hit before and probably longer than anything I'll hit again.

I then realised how close I had been to smashing windscreens to pieces and setting a horrible example to impressionable children.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Have never hit a six, so can't comment there. But looking at local grounds is interesting. Most club grounds have 70-80m straight boundaries; even my school ground, which I've regularly seen sixes on, is 75m straight. The other end of the stick is that my midweek seem were involved in a 20-over game this week which saw 400 runs scored... turns out the straight boundaries were 50m or so.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure how big my longest six is, I've only hit a couple. Hit one over the hill straight at Plymouth's homeground, and hit one over square leg at home in Australia to go from 95 to 101 in third grade :happy: Only a tree saved me from breaking a house window and I nearly killed a magpie.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Abel Smith Parade, Queensland 4825 - Google Maps

Wow.. look at how bad the grass is on the pitch I used to play on!

Okay to describe my six, I was batting in Senior Cricket when I was about 16 and the guy bowling (Dan) had spoken with me just the week before, he said that I'm doing well in Seniors, I just need to push on from making these nice 20s and 30s. I remember this well because I was happy making 20s and 30s, but he motivated me to score higher.

So he was bowling at the time and I had reached a cautious 25 off 55 balls. I went on a blitz afterwards and got out for 78 off 79 balls. Really enjoyed this innings.

You should be able to see the pitch, I was batting at the bottom end and I hit it in the front yard of the house down the ground that looks like it may have a pool now, it didn't at the time.

I'm guessing it was an 80m hit or so, doesn't sound too far.

Chubb

International Regular
I hit the Somerset leg-spinner Mike Munday out of the ground during a benefit match. Marcus Trecothick moved all the fielders into an arc from square-leg to mid-on, and then told me to try to hit it over them. Munday's delivery was short, so I rocked back, waited a moment, and sent it flying onto the roof of the nearby farm. We had teams of people finding balls that day, for obvious reasons, but they never found that one. It was the only ball they lost all game. I was quite proud of myself, to say the least. It was definately my biggest six, as I don't hit many of them.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
93m Neil? That makes it up there with some of the hits in the 20-20 WC.
Yeah - like I say, it was absolutely ridiculous and by far the biggest and cleanest hit I've ever given anything. The standard fence-clearers usually drop in the front of the car park or in front of the gravel - this just went, and went, and went.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Once playing beach cricket this guy was giving me a bit of **** after he had me swinging and missing. Next ball I cracked the tennis ball probably 30m [were probably 30-40m away from the water] into the surf and said, "Go fish."

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I hit one straight over the bowler's head, and the sightscreen, in club cricket about 10 years ago. With my eyes firmly in the Shut position. I've only ever hit 2 or 3 other sixes in my entire (dismal) batting career, and this one was so spectacularly enormous that I've had to secretly remind myself of it every single day of my life since then.

Smith

Banned
Hit one against the spin ala Tendulkar - Warne off a pretty fine club leggie. Ball was lost in the surrounding woods. Considering the fact that I was only 14 at that time, must have been about what? 60-70 metres?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hit one against the spin ala Tendulkar - Warne off a pretty fine club leggie. Ball was lost in the surrounding woods. Considering the fact that I was only 14 at that time, must have been about what? 60-70 metres?
watch it...

bagapath

International Captain
never cleared the playing field in my life. not even once. of course, i am not taking into account some dubious sixers hit off tennis balls in convenient playing fields.

on a real cricket ground i have hit a sum total of 3 boundries in front of the wicket (and four behind). the best one was a cover drive that scorched the grassy outfield on the way to the fence in florida in 1996.

as an off-spinner and a qualified no.10 batsman my greatest batting achievement was a stubborn unbeaten 9 in a partnership of 34 with our star batter that won the game for us. this masterclass included a beautiful edgy late cut between the keeper and first slip for 2 runs. the remaining seven were singles scored of 30 odd deliveries

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Am I the only one completely incredulous at little ginger Neil's claims to (a) run 100m in 11 seconds, (b) hit 93 metre sixes? Come on Neil, we've all seen your videos.

99*

International Debutant
Remember only the one that hit the second row of houses (over a gas station) across the road from Green Bay College. Smallest ground I've ever seen (anyone that's played Green Bay should know) but that must have gone at least 75m.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only one completely incredulous at little ginger Neil's claims to (a) run 100m in 11 seconds, (b) hit 93 metre sixes? Come on Neil, we've all seen your videos.
Yeah, I stifled a guffaw upon first viewing of this thread. 93 metres? Give me a break. It'd be like Pauly Shore winning a Best Actor Oscar.