Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 148
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Brendon McCullum

  1. #1
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,135

    Brendon McCullum

    What the heck is up with him, he has so much batting talent but really hasn't improved that much. He dominated Youth teams and came into the NZ team at an early age, should he be better then what he is?

    And what about his technique, how would you rate it?
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    93
    His techinique is similar to that of Dilshan. Both hit or miss type of batsmen. The main problem with his batting is his defence, it's woeful. Too often he picks the wrong ball to slog.

  3. #3
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferiority View Post
    His techinique is similar to that of Dilshan. Both hit or miss type of batsmen. The main problem with his batting is his defence, it's woeful. Too often he picks the wrong ball to slog.
    Slogging isn't his problem, but your'e right his defense is pretty woeful.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Arm-Fast View Post
    What the heck is up with him, he has so much batting talent but really hasn't improved that much. He dominated Youth teams and came into the NZ team at an early age, should he be better then what he is?
    Players who dominate in youth cricket have absolutely no guarantee to be placed on them. Some don't even make it at domestic level. Some make international cricket but turn-out to be merely average-quality players (like McCullum to date).

    Anyone who hangs really big hopes on someone based on youth cricket is taking a rather bigger leap of faith than they should.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,116
    How outstanding a youth record did Brendon McCullum hold?

    The cricketer is 27 years of age now, and yet his performances as a youth are still brought up. I'd like to hear from a knowledgeable poster who may bring to light some of his early performances.

    All I recall of McCullum the youth cricketer is a poor U/19 WC in 2000, along with a moderate series of performances against the Australian cricket academy in 2001.

  6. #6
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Players who dominate in youth cricket have absolutely no guarantee to be placed on them. Some don't even make it at domestic level. Some make international cricket but turn-out to be merely average-quality players (like McCullum to date).

    Anyone who hangs really big hopes on someone based on youth cricket is taking a rather bigger leap of faith than they should.
    Name me one player that averaged over 100 in Youth cricket and didn't turn out to be a good batsmen, barring McCullum of course.

  7. #7
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    How outstanding a youth record did Brendon McCullum hold?

    The cricketer is 27 years of age now, and yet his performances as a youth are still brought up. I'd like to hear from a knowledgeable poster who may bring to light some of his early performances.

    All I recall of McCullum the youth cricketer is a poor U/19 WC in 2000, along with a moderate series of performances against the Australian cricket academy in 2001.
    He averaged 100 in test youth cricket.

  8. #8
    School Boy/Girl Captain nz0003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    195
    You never know when you're going to get a decent innings from McCullum, he's pretty inconsistent but when he comes off hes good too watch, you get the good and the bad basically.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Arm-Fast View Post
    Name me one player that averaged over 100 in Youth cricket and didn't turn out to be a good batsmen, barring McCullum of course.
    I tend to pay so little attention to under-19 Test averages that I don't know anyone who did nor anyone who did not.

  10. #10
    International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Arm-Fast View Post
    He averaged 100 in test youth cricket.
    Based on his statsguru record?

    Three dominating U/19 games against South Africa. I'm sure his reputation was based on more performances than one brilliant series.

    Star performer for youth Otago teams? Local club cricket?

  11. #11
    U19 Debutant profernity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in ven with men
    Posts
    338
    I'm not sure what his role in T20 and ODIs is currently. Sometimes he goes the slog-at-everything route, at other times he appears to attempt being the innings anchor. Or is he supposed to be both? And whose idea is it?
    "The absolute worst thing anyone could say about you is that you were a selfish, moral blank, whose lazy cynicism and sneering, ironic take on the world encapsulates everything wrong with a generation. But you, my friend, are not evil."

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,870
    What are you talking about? Brendon McCullum is awesome. Best man behind the stumps in international cricket and averages somewhere around 30 in all forms of the game. Since when is that disappointing?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  13. #13
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,135
    An average of 30 is pretty, well average don't you think?

    For the amount of talent this guy has he should be a lot better.

  14. #14
    U19 Debutant profernity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in ven with men
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    What are you talking about? Brendon McCullum is awesome. Best man behind the stumps in international cricket and averages somewhere around 30 in all forms of the game. Since when is that disappointing?

    It became disappointing the day wicketkeeper-batsmen were increasingly judged upon batting skill alone, and oh you can keep a bit, good-o. It becomes more important for teams which lack specialists, being just a keeper looks like wasting a spot in the batting lineup. It all comes down to what McCullum is expected to be. To me, it seems he's expected to be as much of everything as possible (captain, keeping, run rate accelerator, innings anchor). How much of that is personal expectation, team expectation, or necessity, I'm not sure.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    What are you talking about? Brendon McCullum is awesome. Best man behind the stumps in international cricket and averages somewhere around 30 in all forms of the game. Since when is that disappointing?
    Since inflated expectations.

    People see McCullum look absolutely a million dollars when he nails a shot and think he should be doing it more often.

    McCullum is in fact a good Test wicketkeeper-batsman and a useful ODI opener. But some people seem to have had much higher expectations - expectations that were probably always wholly unrealistic.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Caption this: Brendon McCullum vs Ross Taylor
    By Maximus0723 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-04-2009, 08:10 PM
  2. Brendon McCullum vs M.S. Dhoni
    By 99* in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 25-04-2008, 05:47 AM
  3. Caption This: Brendon McCullum
    By LongHopCassidy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-01-2005, 01:33 AM
  4. Brendon McCullum - Batting Position
    By meatspx in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-02-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. Brendon McCullum
    By nibbs in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 12:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •