• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 Hype

Athlai

Not Terrible
And we could probably use one of the many great spinners, hard to pin down just who would be the hardest to hit though. Almost tempted to go Benaud for captaincy.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Aravinda De Silva would have been awesome at Twenty20
Took a fairly long time to get going for mine in ODIs. Would have been similar to some current Sri Lanka, better but still not the best Twenty20 batsmen.

Jessop
Kaluwitharana
Richards
Walcott
Sobers
Lloyld
Cairns
Benaud
Hadlee
Waqar
Garner

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, but do you think he would have still been the greatest batsman in this form of the game?
I don't know about being the greatest, but i certainly believe he'd have been up there. If he was capable of adapting his technique and style to take on that many bowlers on that many pitches in that many different conditions, it's surely likely that he'd be able to adapt it to play another format. It's all speculation though of course, we can't know for sure.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have Wally Hammond and Learie Constantine for sure - Hammond was such a classically majestic player that it often tends to be overlooked how quickly he could score and how many sixes he hit, while I reckon Constantine would be an absolute T20 superstar.

As for a less well known dark horse who I reckon would have succeeded brilliantly in the format - step forward Arthur Wellard. A six-hitter par excellence who was also a more than useful bowler.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Greenidge
Anwar
Richards
Sobers
A De Silva
Imran
Botham
Kapil Dev
Benaud
Wasim
Saqlain

Back-ups: Clive Llyod, Procter, Garner, Waqar.

NOTE: Although Saqlain has played the format, he clearly wasn't the same bowler as the 90s.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Bapu Nadkarni. One of the most miserly bowlers ever. Vinoo Mankad a good shout too as spinning all rounder.

stumpski

International Captain
Colin Milburn for the 3rd XI please. :) Also Jack Gregory and Frank Woolley.

And has anyone mentioned Keith MIller?

Burgey

Keith Miller surely. The bloke bombed the ball as far as anyone, could bowl fast, changed his pace fantastically and was a great fieldsman by all reports.

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
I knew there was a bloke I kept reading about and couldn't remember his name. And this wasn't much help either.

But I found him. Hugh Tayfield was apparently an excellent spin bowler in his time. I'm sure there is a spot for him somewhere...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How about William Attewell? Test career economy rate of 1.31 - next in the list is about 1.6

........... and Farokh Engineer must be the keeper - great call from Sanz

Burgey

Percy Chapman? Wasn't he regarded as one of the more dynamic batsmen of his time?