• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emerging Players Tournament 2009

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It's on next month in Aus but I can't find the full fixture list (brockley?).

Presumably it will feature the same sides, Australian AIS, a strong NZ (had the likes of Ryder and Franklin last year), a competitive Indian academy side (had one or two internationals last year, Kohli…) and South Africa.

I know 14 out of the 15 in South Africa's Emerging Squad...

VB van Jaarsveld (captain), Alexander, CJ de Villiers, Hendricks, Kuhn, Smit, Davids, Elgar, Rossouw, Rusty Theron, Tsotsobe, Tshabalala, van Zyl, Behardien and ?

The coach is Corrie van Zyl.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Looks a decent squad.
Um.
Could swear here but won't.
I will give cricket austrlalia a call in the next few days.
The aussie team known,minus those in the aussie A squad,fergurson and henriques.
I think its on in july.
Made an inquiry to cricket australia via its website but did not recieve a replay apart from a thankyou not we recieved your query :wacko:
As said will give a call this week and follow up.
Xepextcmore on cricket australia website,so stay tuned to that 8-)

Flem274*

123/5
Will probably see for NZ (if picked as Emerging Players and not NZ A)

George Worker
Jeet Ravaal
Brad Patton
Kane Williamson
Anaru Kitchen
Corey Anderson
Errr de Boorder maybe?
Michael Davidson
Tarun Nethula
Mitchell McClennaghan
Trent Boult

If its NZ A under a different name, then:

Peter Ingram
Tim McIntosh
Mathew Sinclair
Peter Fulton
Neil Broom
Kane Williamson
Peter McGlashan
Ian Butler
Daryl Tuffey (maybe)
Jeetan Patel
Trent Boult

Just rounding off some possible sides there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Broom should be in both those teams IMO Phlegm. McClennaghan not so much.

Oh chuck Bond in there too I say.

Flem274*

123/5
Broom should be in both those teams IMO Phlegm. McClennaghan not so much.

Oh chuck Bond in there too I say.
We all know why I think Mitchell will be in there...

Bond I didn't go for because no one knows what he'll do or if he'll break really.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He retired before he joined the ICL due to a mixture of dislike for management and a little known diabetes prolem,

popepouri

State Vice-Captain

Presumably it will feature the same sides, Australian AIS, a strong NZ (had the likes of Ryder and Franklin last year), a competitive Indian academy side (had one or two internationals last year, Kohli…) and South Africa.

VB van Jaarsveld (captain), Alexander, CJ de Villiers, Hendricks, Kuhn, Smit, Davids, Elgar, Rossouw, Rusty Theron, Tsotsobe, Tshabalala, van Zyl, Behardien and ?

Nice young squad. Here's hoping the last player is Pieter Malan.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nice young squad. Here's hoping the last player is Pieter Malan.
The full squad and press release is on CSA's website but I can't get the page to work. I got the 14 names by using Google and guessing what players were in (:laugh:). It took me about 10 minutes to get the 14 right.

I tried out Levi (should be in), Malan, Philander, Kleinveldt, Vandiar (he was in but taken out due to injury, as was speedster Plaatjies), Delport, Miller, Pienaar, Swanepoel, Wiese, Symes, Virus, Imraan Khan, Bailey, Abbott, Zondo et cetera but they are not in the 15. So this last player is a mystery to me (probably very obvious!).

Squad is pretty strong but Thandi didn't deserve a call-up. He was dropped this year by the Eagles (performance and discplinary reasons) for young Swanepoel but he probably didn't travel as question marks remain over his action (doosra).

If anyone can get this page to work, please fill in the blank...
The 15th player is?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
The SA Emerging Squad is: Vaughn van Jaarsveld (bizhub Highveld Lions, capt), Craig Alexander (bizhub Highveld Lions), Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans), Henry Davids (Nashua Cape Cobras), CJ de Villiers (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Dean Elgar (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Reza Hendricks (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Heino Kuhn (Nashua Titans), Rilee Rossouw (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Daryn Smit (Nashua Dolphins), Juan Theron (Chevrolet Warriors), Thandi Tshabalala (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Chevrolet Warriors), Stiaan van Zyl (Nashua Cape Cobras), Basheer Walters (Nashua Titans).

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
The SA Emerging Squad is: Vaughn van Jaarsveld (bizhub Highveld Lions, capt), Craig Alexander (bizhub Highveld Lions), Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans), Henry Davids (Nashua Cape Cobras), CJ de Villiers (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Dean Elgar (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Reza Hendricks (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Heino Kuhn (Nashua Titans), Rilee Rossouw (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Daryn Smit (Nashua Dolphins), Juan Theron (Chevrolet Warriors), Thandi Tshabalala (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Chevrolet Warriors), Stiaan van Zyl (Nashua Cape Cobras), Basheer Walters (Nashua Titans).
I think Thandi is probably the only spinner they could pick. There isn't much left after Botha, Van Der Merwe (international duty of course), Harris (not emerging), and Tahir (Hampshire).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think Thandi is probably the only spinner they could pick. There isn't much left after Botha, Van Der Merwe (international duty of course), Harris (not emerging), and Tahir (Hampshire).
Kuhn is likely to play and open so Smit can be the spinner (and Elgar can turn his arm over). No need for Thandi.

Shri

Mr. Glass

Does the "C" in CJ De Villiers' name stand for Cornellius by any chance?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yes. :)

His full name, Cornelius Johannes du Preez de Villiers.
Have heard that he is a good pace bowling prospect for the RSA team. :)

Hope Manish Pande gets a go in the Indian side in this tournament. His sense of timing looked exceptional in the few T20 matches that he played last month.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Have heard that he is a good pace bowling prospect for the RSA team. :)

Hope Manish Pande gets a go in the Indian side in this tournament. His sense of timing looked exceptional in the few T20 matches that he played last month.
Think Morne Morkel minus real pace, bowls at the 135-40kph mark. Had a fantastic Pro20.
Can bat as well.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Think Morne Morkel minus real pace, bowls at the 135-40kph mark. Had a fantastic Pro20.
Can bat as well.
Would definitely have a look if these matches are televised in India. 135-140Kph should be effective in international cricket with good line and length.