• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke's captaincy

Jakester1288

International Regular
How do you guys think Michael Clarke will perform as captain when he finally gets appointed (which is almost dead certain to happen). After reading the post quoted below from another forum, I'm keen to see your opinions.

I think there is much more to this than meets the eye. I'm referring to Clarke's role. He was really smug and arrogant when interviewed the other day. He is going to be a disaster as captain.

Symonds may have seen the light and the negative change in our culture.

MacGill saw the light last year and retired.

I want to know who is running Australian Crooket?
This was posted in a thread about this article.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I see enough of Matthew O'Neill's agenda-driven cricket opinions elsewhere without having to see them here as well thanks Jake. :p

Jakester1288

International Regular
I see enough of Matthew O'Neill's agenda-driven cricket opinions elsewhere without having to see them here as well thanks Jake. :p
Yeah he is a bit of a clown regarding lots of things there, but what do you expect on a predominately rugby league forum?

Remember his massive push for Ronchi last year who wasn't even being selected for Western Australia? :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he is a bit of a clown regarding lots of things there, but what do you expect on a predominately rugby league forum?

Remember his massive push for Ronchi last year who wasn't even being selected for Western Australia? :laugh:
Indeed. So why copy his posts and put them here? :p

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Because he may have raised a good point and was looking forward to reading the responses of people on this forum regarding the topic.
No idea about how good captain he is going to be, but found it odd that he was designated to be a captain at debut almost like a birthright.

Jakester1288

International Regular
No idea about how good captain he is going to be, but found it odd that he was designated to be a captain at debut almost like a birthright.
Also, I notice that a few people are earmarking Phil Hughes as Australia's captain after Clarke. How insane? Clarke is 28, so still 10 or so years in him, and people are taking up a 20 year old as the next captain.

howardj

International Coach
In picking a captain, the most important thing is that you have the respect of the other players, and that they want to play for you. You also have to have a basic tactical grip on things. However, respect is the most important thing. You grow into the job as you go.

I think in Australia most people think you're a good captain so long as you're attacking. Six slips, a leg slip, a bat pad and a silly mid off - and people regard you as a genius!

Whether Clarke has the respect of the other guys at the moment, I'm not sure.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shades of Kim Hughes about Clarke. Can see a dummy-spit at a press conference in the future.

cowboy up

Banned
Also, I notice that a few people are earmarking Phil Hughes as Australia's captain after Clarke. How insane? Clarke is 28, so still 10 or so years in him, and people are taking up a 20 year old as the next captain.
its not that insane,already he has a better attitude than clarke towards his cricket.im sure that it wont take long for him to earn respect from his team mates,and i dont know about clarke playing till he is 38,lara will put her foot down in a few years about all his traveling and cricket duties and clarke wont have the backbone to stand up to it you can just tell.
look at our captains over the past years taylor,s waugh,ponting. clarke aint in the same league as those blokes.
hughes over next 5 years will do more than impress,he will earn respect from not only team mates but also oponents and will show he is captain material to the selectors.unlike mr flash (clarke)who as soon as the pressure is on he will crumble.

jondavluc

State Regular
I will wait until I have seen enough of him as captain before I make my assessment of his abilities.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One thing about Australian cricket which has been occurring of late, young guys who come into the team are not only put the pressure to perform, but also told they are future captains from the outset (as noted in this thread).

In 2004 Clarke was being spoken as future captain. I mean its turned out to be true, but how much has it been a self-fulfilling prophecy?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
One thing about Australian cricket which has been occurring of late, young guys who come into the team are not only put the pressure to perform, but also told they are future captains from the outset (as noted in this thread).

In 2004 Clarke was being spoken as future captain. I mean its turned out to be true, but how much has it been a self-fulfilling prophecy?
I trust the NSW selectors, they know Haddin and Katich have more astute Cricketing brains all Clarke has on them is age.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nothing new. Ponting was touted as a future captain before he was in the team.

I can't comment on Clarke - there's obviously something about him as a person that sets a lot of people's teeth on edge - I just can't see what it is. But enough people seem to find him objectionable to make me think there's something that I'm just not getting, because he seems like an ok guy from what I've seen.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I trust the NSW selectors, they know Haddin and Katich have more astute Cricketing brains all Clarke has on them is age.
That's sort of my point. If everyone keeps saying "future captain" before he's even played test cricket, its likely to happen unless he's an absolute failure.

Clarke had youth, enough talent, and media attention on his side to almost guarantee himself being vice captain.