• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke's captaincy

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
And what, pray tell, were the leadership qualities displayed by this little boy?

What a bunch of batty-lickers. Because he's talented doesn't mean he'll possess any leadership qualities whatso ever. You never know, he might turn out to be a Symonds. Or , if he's lucky, a Warne.
Or neither. He may **** his career up and play for 3 years, then become complacent, get dropped and never see the Aussie test side again.

cowboy up

Banned
And what, pray tell, were the leadership qualities displayed by this little boy?

What a bunch of batty-lickers. Because he's talented doesn't mean he'll possess any leadership qualities whatso ever. You never know, he might turn out to be a Symonds. Or , if he's lucky, a Warne.
Or neither. He may **** his career up and play for 3 years, then become complacent, get dropped and never see the Aussie test side again.
all you are doing is making a prediction so whats so wrong with everyone else making a prediction,and to be honest hughes having a chance at captain is a much more positive one than what your suggesting.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
I'm not making any prediction. I'm simply saying it's too early to judge leadership qualities. He hasn't even really developed as a person yet.

Just cause the guy is making runs like it's nobody's business, that is no reason to automatically be considered future captain.

cowboy up

Banned
I'm not making any prediction. I'm simply saying it's too early to judge leadership qualities. He hasn't even really developed as a person yet.

Just cause the guy is making runs like it's nobody's business, that is no reason to automatically be considered future captain.
im not saying it is a reason but the aussie selectors seemed to think so with ponting and nominated clarke at a early age for the same reason.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
im not saying it is a reason but the aussie selectors seemed to think so with ponting and nominated clarke at a early age for the same reason.
And that's not really a wise thing to do. Talent with the bat/ball at a very very early stage of one's career is no indication of that person's leadership capabilities/qualities.

And people really only started nominating Clarke cause he was the kid always throwing his ideas around.

If Hughes proves to be in that same mould then I suppose they'll consider grooming him as well. Right now, we have no idea. He could be the guy who prefers to follow instructions rather than lead.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

So are tests against South Africa in South Africa "proper" games or not?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And that's not really a wise thing to do. Talent with the bat/ball at a very very early stage of one's career is no indication of that person's leadership capabilities/qualities.

And people really only started nominating Clarke cause he was the kid always throwing his ideas around.
Not the case, I'm afraid. Clarke also captained an U/19 World Cup side. Mark Taylor was mooted as a future captain well before he was finally handed it, same with Ponting, etc. Point is, most Aussie captains are talked about as possibles years before they play for the Australian senior side. It's more to do with leadership nous than tactical ability (it's always assumed they can learn it as they go, especially if their state selectors give them the captaincy too) but yeah, apparent from a pretty young age.

Smith

Banned
Lol, after just a series, (series!), the kid is talked to be the next captain of Australia? ROFLMAO. Let him atleast survive in the arena for a year or two, before even thinking about such a move. Would ruin his focus.

inbox24

International Debutant
Yep, gives him an aura of untouchability in ODIs and T20s which is just wrong. Most everyone should be subject to performance and not be given free rides.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lol, after just a series, (series!), the kid is talked to be the next captain of Australia? ROFLMAO. Let him atleast survive in the arena for a year or two, before even thinking about such a move. Would ruin his focus.
Clarke was being talked up as such before he'd even played a Test at all.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Not the case, I'm afraid. Clarke also captained an U/19 World Cup side. Mark Taylor was mooted as a future captain well before he was finally handed it, same with Ponting, etc. Point is, most Aussie captains are talked about as possibles years before they play for the Australian senior side. It's more to do with leadership nous than tactical ability (it's always assumed they can learn it as they go, especially if their state selectors give them the captaincy too) but yeah, apparent from a pretty young age.
So was Damien Martyn, and look how he turned out. Point is, too early for such talk about Hughes.

As with Martyn, you never know what direction a career's going to take.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So was Damien Martyn, and look how he turned out. Point is, too early for such talk about Hughes.

As with Martyn, you never know what direction a career's going to take.
Don't recall Marto ever being mooted as a captaincy possibility?

Matt79

Global Moderator
People gotta draw the distinction between a player's friends, family, junior team associates, and media ignoramuses saying something like "he'll be captain of Australia one day" and anyone in Cricket Australia or the national team seriously thinking about that as a possibility.

No doubt some young guys who come into the team, like a Clarke, display a desire and ambition to learn about those aspects of the game, whereas others, I'll take a wild stab here and say like Pete Siddle, probably don't. People might make a call on that basis, but its a pretty meaningless thing.

Generally, until you've got a VC next to your name, there's no reason to think anyone takes you seriously as a candidate for the top job.