• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ACT Cricket

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Andre and I had a chat about ACT cricket on msn last night and it got me thinking. Maybe the forum members here could come up with a few ideas to make ACT cricket stronger.
Cricket Australia cant use the excuse we dont have the talent.
some players we have produced.
Michael Bevna, Brad Haddin, Mark Higgs, Graeme Cunningham, Stuart Karpinnen and now David Dawson who has a Tasmanian contract this season.

We also have a lot of guys in the other states 2nd xi sides. The rumour is that ACT cricket is broke. A lot of people dont pay grade fees, so the next season they put the fees up to cover the people that dont pay, and the prices become so roudiculous that people cant afford to play, then the quality of play suffers in hand.
This season for an adult it costs $380 to play for my club, $330 for 100 game players, $220 for unemployed or students, $160 for juniors.

To me unless you are really committed you wont play for those prices. Its seemingly obvious that ACT crickets problems start right at junior and grade level. My club's juniors only managed to put 5 teams on the field from under 12's to under 18's. compare that to the strongest who had 23 teams in the same age brackets.
To me in a city of 320,000 people thats not acceptable, i want everyone heres thoughts on this as well as maybe some solutions.
cheers
Simon

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well the cost MUST be reduced, either cricket Australia should subsidise it OR a very small levy, perhaps $1 or $2 could be placed on players who play for capital city grade clubs and this oney could be used to reduce the cost of cricket in the ACT, cause as Simon said alot of tal;ent comes out of that area