• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Journalism

Isaac C

Cricket Spectator
Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to put this. But; I'm 15 years of age and I'm really interested in a career in journalism and more specifically cricket journalism. I've done 10 days of work experience which I really enjoyed and confirmed my aspirations.

Is there any cricket journalists or journalists on the forums who could give me any tips on how to break into journalism?

Thanks,

IC :)

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Check out member Geraintismyhero; may not be a proffesional journalist but sure writes like one.
Oh and this is a real good place to practice your skills. If you can't do it here you'll be **** anyway.

cheers :)

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
I'm a journalist and from what I gathered in 10 years of practice the essential thing is to have a good eye, open mind and a full sack of words. Tell it like you see it and don't try to sound clever at all costs. Keep it simple and sensible. Practice makes perfect - school won't make such a difference. Maybe you could start a blog to exert your writing wits.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a pretty tough career path. Not only is it very competitive but the options are shrinking as the vogue is for ex-pros rather than journos.

Experience and education are important. Whilst doing that you should write a blog and try to write for a website or something similar.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Its a pretty tough career path. Not only is it very competitive but the options are shrinking as the vogue is for ex-pros rather than journos.

Experience and education are important. Whilst doing that you should write a blog and try to write for a website or something similar.
True. But if you are good enough, you can find work. Cozier, Bogle, Martin-Jenkins, Andrew Miller, Manthorp etc show that...

gvenkat

State Captain
True. But if you are good enough, you can find work. Cozier, Bogle, Martin-Jenkins, Andrew Miller, Manthorp etc show that...
Thats only a handful of them. But it's best to enroll in a formal course and specalise in sports journalism. Then find a job in the media.. it should not be that dofficult but pay will be less i would think..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to put this. But; I'm 15 years of age and I'm really interested in a career in journalism and more specifically cricket journalism. I've done 10 days of work experience which I really enjoyed and confirmed my aspirations.

Is there any cricket journalists or journalists on the forums who could give me any tips on how to break into journalism?

Thanks,

In my experience the only way to get better at writing is to write. Same way the only way to get better at bowling is to bowl, and at batting to bat. And anyone who wants to be good enough at something to do it pro has to be very good indeed.

When I was your age I wrote stuff, which only I ever read, effectively as reports on England tours and matches. Just because I enjoyed doing it. I still, to a much lesser extent, do - if I have some spare time, I like to spend it writing. Obviously some of what I write gets published on CW.

BTW Martyn Corrin AKA GeraintIsMyHero is far from the only outstanding writer we have on CW.n, just in case anyone was wondering.

As for being a sports journo, a) I'm reliably informed it's not all it seems and b) it's an incredibly closed shop which takes quite some luck as well as skill to break into. Your only real chance (barring remarkable strokes of luck) is to follow a narrow educational path which has no guarantee of bearing fruit. If you want it enough, clearly, it's what you should be doing. But think carefully before doing so. Anyway, it's often been said that the best way to do education is to study what you enjoy.

Stick around, Master Crowson.

Chubb

International Regular
You have to write and read a lot, be prepared to do a journalism diploma and take any job you can when you've got it- sport can come later, after a grounding in "mainstream" stuff. you have to get the basics before moving into sport, as it is one of the most difficult areas to break in to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah I was going to write "obviously you also have to read lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of it as well" but somehow forgot. :blink:

You need to work-out what's good and what's bad, and try to learn from what's good.

Also, you have to have an ability to read, re-read and re-read what you've written, altering it over and again, making it as good as you possibly can. Learnt that from Roald Dahl aged about 11.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Check out member Geraintismyhero; may not be a proffesional journalist but sure writes like one.
Oh and this is a real good place to practice your skills. If you can't do it here you'll be **** anyway.

cheers :)
I dunno about that but the compliment is certainly appreciated :)

RE the OP - I think Richard has nailed it. At your age, practice writing, if you want other people to read your stuff then show them, but if you don't, practice is a great way to get better at writing.

And of course, this would be a great place to share pieces of writing you do on cricket, as you will get honest and fair appraisals from this lot

Jakester1288

International Regular
Yeah I'm actually following a similar path. I've have a blog about cricket, also one about Rugby League, and really enjoy writing. I've had offers to write for some websites and have had an article published on a cricket website. I want to go to university and study sports journalism, and write for a website, paper or magazine.

Also, I was just wondering, do most of the freelance writers have a small day job to keep the money coming through, or at least when they are just starting? Because I'd imagine you wouldn't get too much at the start, so I'd probably get a small job to help out with bills and food and rent and everything else.

howardj

International Coach
Hey,

Thanks,

You have no chance mate.

Become a copper or a fireman.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
I started at 16 writing pieces on Formula 1, books, politics, whatever, and after two years or so I got to show them to an editor. And the rest is history.

Look, you might write about yesterday's game and post it here, for us to have a view of your talents.

howardj

International Coach
I started at 16 writing pieces on Formula 1, books, politics, whatever, and after two years or so I got to show them to an editor. And the rest is history.

And where did it get you?

It's great to have a dream, but when your chances are so very small and your livelihood is dependent on it, it's best to choose another field.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
And where did it get you?

It's great to have a dream, but when your chances are so very small and your livelihood is dependent on it, it's best to choose another field.
Let's say I'm not dying of hunger.

Let the kid try his hand, he can change course if it doesn't work out.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, I don't want to sound too downbeat, but the competition is fierce.

Unless you're an absolute standout, AND have some connections, she's a dead end.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I had dreams of being a cricket correspondent/journo.

I've had to settle for being a TV producer instead. :(