Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cricket Journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Same - well not intentionally. I have this very imprecise mouse, and I think once I accidently clicked on a penis enlargement ad. But that was because of the mouse. Not because I need the cream. I was actually looking for extra LARGE underpants anyway, so I don't know why that ad was up onscreen. Stupid really, who's going to pay $49.95 for a cream promising to increase your length AND girth. And surely there's some sort of requirement for a no-refund policy to be flagged in the advertisement.

So yeah, I don't think online advertising works.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I reckon most online advertising you don't even realise has worked on you tbh.

People overrestimate themselves a lot of the time. What's the old adage, "advertising works on everyone else... but not me?"
    Yeah I mean, I never go out and spend money on stuff I've seen advertised which I wouldn't have spent anyway, but there's hundreds of things I've gotten which I'd have got anyway that I might sans-ads have spent ages searching for and probably ended-up buying from a different company that I got it from as things were.

I can't think of any specific examples to come from online ads but I'd be rather suprised if there weren't any.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Spectator World Cricket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pringle View Post
    I haven't got any qualifications in journalism, but a couple of years ago managed to get some online football journalism work and last October was able to quit the day job and go fully freelance. I concede that there are more opportunities for football writers than for cricket, but it shows that it can be done.
    I reckon what you've said is true but why not think of it another way. There are over 1billion people in a cricket mad country that has growing literacy rates all the time. Surely this represents a huge increase in readership potential. . .
    "I say what I like, And I Like what I bloody well say"

Chief Editor of World Cricket Watch (the better half of cricinfo)

We provide a fresh, twisted take on the game we all love. If world cricket is what you love then come and pay us a visit this summer as we'll literally be LIVING every breath of the Ashes and Twenty20 World Cup..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I reckon most online advertising you don't even realise has worked on you tbh.

People overrestimate themselves a lot of the time. What's the old adage, "advertising works on everyone else... but not me?"
    Yeah you're quite right. If you went to the supermarket and the butter you normally get wasn't there, would you go for "Amerstan Butter" or the one that you'd heard of from TV? Let's be honest, we'd all go for the one we knew.

I still think online ads are a bit ineffective though. There's about five scams for every genuine business advertised so i think i subconsciously think of businesses that use banner ads or pop-ups as seedy and untrustworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information