• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Journalism

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Same - well not intentionally. I have this very imprecise mouse, and I think once I accidently clicked on a penis enlargement ad. But that was because of the mouse. Not because I need the cream. I was actually looking for extra LARGE underpants anyway, so I don't know why that ad was up onscreen. Stupid really, who's going to pay $49.95 for a cream promising to increase your length AND girth. And surely there's some sort of requirement for a no-refund policy to be flagged in the advertisement.

So yeah, I don't think online advertising works.
:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I reckon most online advertising you don't even realise has worked on you tbh.

People overrestimate themselves a lot of the time. What's the old adage, "advertising works on everyone else... but not me?"
Yeah I mean, I never go out and spend money on stuff I've seen advertised which I wouldn't have spent anyway, but there's hundreds of things I've gotten which I'd have got anyway that I might sans-ads have spent ages searching for and probably ended-up buying from a different company that I got it from as things were.

I can't think of any specific examples to come from online ads but I'd be rather suprised if there weren't any.

World Cricket

Cricket Spectator
I haven't got any qualifications in journalism, but a couple of years ago managed to get some online football journalism work and last October was able to quit the day job and go fully freelance. I concede that there are more opportunities for football writers than for cricket, but it shows that it can be done.
I reckon what you've said is true but why not think of it another way. There are over 1billion people in a cricket mad country that has growing literacy rates all the time. Surely this represents a huge increase in readership potential. . .8-)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon most online advertising you don't even realise has worked on you tbh.

People overrestimate themselves a lot of the time. What's the old adage, "advertising works on everyone else... but not me?"
Yeah you're quite right. If you went to the supermarket and the butter you normally get wasn't there, would you go for "Amerstan Butter" or the one that you'd heard of from TV? Let's be honest, we'd all go for the one we knew.

I still think online ads are a bit ineffective though. There's about five scams for every genuine business advertised so i think i subconsciously think of businesses that use banner ads or pop-ups as seedy and untrustworthy.