• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Journalism

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And where did it get you?

It's great to have a dream, but when your chances are so very small and your livelihood is dependent on it, it's best to choose another field.
If he doesn't have a go then he'll never find out. Better to have a crack at it than sit back later and wish he'd tried. Given he hasn't even posted any of his writing on here it's a bit unfair to shoot him down in flames. He could be one of the better writers we'll see.

pasag

RTDAS
If he doesn't have a go then he'll never find out. Better to have a crack at it than sit back later and wish he'd tried. Given he hasn't even posted any of his writing on here it's a bit unfair to shoot him down in flames. He could be one of the better writers we'll see.
Wow, why so cold and cynical Howard?
True, but people should be exposed to the realities of any profession. I've found it hasn't always been the case and you only find out down the track that things have been extensively sugar coated.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe the voices of despair here.

Isaac, my advice to you is to get an education, do a journalism course, write a blog, contribute articles to websites like this, do piles and piles of voluntary work with newspapers, write for your school magazine, write for your local paper, get your name and your face known in the right circles. You might make it, and if you're determined and able then it's quite possible that you'll succeed. And even if you don't manage to make a career of it, getting the sort of experience that I've given examples of will be incredibly useful to you in whatever else you end up choosing to do.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe the voices of despair here.

Isaac, my advice to you is to get an education, do a journalism course, write a blog, contribute articles to websites like this, do piles and piles of voluntary work with newspapers, write for your school magazine, write for your local paper, get your name and your face known in the right circles. You might make it, and if you're determined and able then it's quite possible that you'll succeed. And even if you don't manage to make a career of it, getting the sort of experience that I've given examples of will be incredibly useful to you in whatever else you end up choosing to do.

Good luck!
Yeah, I echo that.

Im moving into something that even a few months ago I wouldnt have believed was a realistic possibility. Even the remote and unlikely happens, you just have to go for it.

My advice though, when entering a field with tough competition and fierce rivals, is to always have a back up plan.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally, would love to get into cricket journalism too. It's a bit of an ideal-scenario job for me though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
True, but people should be exposed to the realities of any profession. I've found it hasn't always been the case and you only find out down the track that things have been extensively sugar coated.
Being told you are 'no chance' and should give up isn't a 'realistic assessment' of the profession. Particularly when you don't know anything about his attitude towards his objective to be a journalist, nor his writing quality.

Cricket journalism may be tough to get into (and if so, succeed in), but there are many other professions far tougher.

Plus, no where in his post did he say he wanted to be a Sambit Bal or Harsha Bhogle and make lots of money from this. Those situations are rare, but being a cricket journalist is hardly climbing Everest with one leg.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm happy enough being an unpaid cricket journalist when I post.

Don't be stealing my material Isaac, good luck.

pasag

RTDAS
Being told you are 'no chance' and should give up isn't a 'realistic assessment' of the profession. Particularly when you don't know anything about his attitude towards his objective to be a journalist, nor his writing quality.

Cricket journalism may be tough to get into (and if so, succeed in), but there are many other professions far tougher.

Plus, no where in his post did he say he wanted to be a Sambit Bal or Harsha Bhogle and make lots of money from this. Those situations are rare, but being a cricket journalist is hardly climbing Everest with one leg.
Yeah, perhaps that's a bit harsh but I think it's necessary for kids to be given a realistic assessment of the landscape. The fact is journalism is brutally hard to break into and that'll get exponentially harder in the future with the decline of traditional media. If he knows all this and is still willing to do everything to get there then he certainly deserves every chance possible.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What would be ideal is to have a crack but also have a backup. Far easier said than done though.

Andre

International Regular
My only piece of advice - don't do too much too early. Do it because you enjoy it, not because you think you should.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact is journalism is brutally hard to break into and that'll get exponentially harder in the future with the decline of traditional media.
I would have thought that with internet websites as news mediums increasing in popularity (and numbers), the chances to make a career in journalism is actually increasing.

pasag

RTDAS
I would have thought that with internet websites as news mediums increasing in popularity (and numbers), the chances to make a career in journalism is actually increasing.
I wouldn't think so, certainly not enough to make a career and living out of (aside from a few). Happy to be proven wrong and not really talking from any first hand experience but all the sackings at papers like The Age have been very worrying.

On a side note it looks like they're going to start charging for The Age site.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Really? Where'd you find that out?

Will have to change my home page if that's the case.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reckon loads of sites will go down that route. Think it's unnecessary tbh, given the amount of advertising they can get on a site, and the fact that advertising online is a HUGE and growing industry.

pasag

RTDAS
Reckon loads of sites will go down that route. Think it's unnecessary tbh, given the amount of advertising they can get on a site, and the fact that advertising online is a HUGE and growing industry.
The effectiveness of it is still yet to be seen (might be a good thesis topic :p).