• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff's bizzare anti immigration rant

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
what evidence do you have for that? It must be flintoff's long history of racist outbursts? If you ring a hotel in England then yes, of course you expect them to speak English. If I rang one in France, I'd expect them to speak French, if I rang one in Pakistan I'd expect them to speak Urdu. But of course, going and playing for a sports team is the same as being a hotel receptionist 8-)

Not at all like you Sanz, making something out of nothing

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing remotely wrong with what he said there. The incomprehensible foreign call-centre employee is a pet hate of everyone in the UK. Bit of bull**** regarding rap music, but it's pretty normal for a father of three to be thinking like that.

It's anything but an anti-immigration outburst.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
take your rational thoughts elsewhere Uppercut - today's it's hotel receptionists, tomorrow he's wearing his KKK outfit for the Ashes team photo

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Freddie has said absolutely nothing wrong. The fact that this is even in the paper is a joke, don't expect **** like this in the Telegraph either.
Ofcourse It is the fault of the Newspaper for reporting it, Freddie can do no wrong for you.

Thoughts of Lord Freddie - Sport - theage.com.au

"When you go to somewhere like India you realise we're not in that bad a shape. We have a tendency in Britain to talk ourselves down. I wouldn't want to be American, but you have to admire the way they talk themselves up as a people, athletes and as a country. Our glass is always half empty."

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, and what more have you proved there? That article is even worse, I am sure Owais Shah and Ravi Bopara are just FURIOUS with his comments. And so he thinks Britain is in better shape than India? Look, I've never been to India, so I wouldn't know, but is he not entitled to such an opinion?

Honestly Sanz, the whole "Freddie can do no wrong" thing won't work either. When he ****ed up in the WC I called him on it. There were good posters like pasag defending him, and I was slamming him. I'd defend Ricky Ponting or Graeme Smith if they were slammed for these comments as well.

Hey ho, whatever. I could keep arguing with you, but the rest of the forum are gonna wonder why I am replying to myself seems as they all have you on ignore...can't imagine why

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
what evidence do you have for that? It must be flintoff's long history of racist outbursts? If you ring a hotel in England then yes, of course you expect them to speak English. If I rang one in France, I'd expect them to speak French, if I rang one in Pakistan I'd expect them to speak Urdu. But of course, going and playing for a sports team is the same as being a hotel receptionist
I agree with this and flintoff would have been perfect if he had stopped right there (i.e. expressing his annoyance over Receptionist in a Hotel in England not speaking English is a fair point), but when he took it beyond that and started talking about 'multicultural level' is where he got it wrong.

And If he is so annoyed by people in his country not learning English, he should make sure he speaks Tamil before he jumps on the Superkings plane next year.

Not at all like you Sanz, making something out of nothing
I did not dig this story up, It was reported by English Media.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sanz you got it backwards, when he was talking about Englands multicultural-ness maybe going too far THEN he told the story about the receptionist. That was the peak of his endeavours, not the other way around.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree with this and flintoff would have been perfect if he had stopped right there (i.e. expressing his annoyance over Receptionist in a Hotel in England not speaking English is a fair point), but when he took it beyond that and started talking about 'multicultural level' is where he got it wrong.

And If he is so annoyed by people in his country not learning English, he should make sure he speaks Tamil before he jumps on the Superkings plane next year.

I did not dig this story up, It was reported by English Media.
That's missing the point, though. He didn't say "if you want to come in this country, learn the ****ing language" and he didn't say "British jobs for British workers." He basically said that if your job is to serve the British public then an expected criteria for getting that job should be to speak the language. He didn't go beyond that!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, and what more have you proved there? That article is even worse, I am sure Owais Shah and Ravi Bopara are just FURIOUS with his comments. And so he thinks Britain is in better shape than India? Look, I've never been to India, so I wouldn't know, but is he not entitled to such an opinion?
Of Course he is entitled his opinion at the same time I am entitled to mine about him If I hear a trend of stupidity. As for Britain being in better shape than India/America, well that is a subjective assessment, he is entitled to his opinion. IMO there is no right or wrong answer.

I am not sure why Owais Shah and Ravi Bopara come into this picture, I am assuming it is because of their Indian origin. Infact it brings me to another annoying point which is : People always talk about how Immigrants don't mingle into the main stream of their country, at the same time they themselves are not willing to rise above their prejudices. The Boparas and Shas will always be associated with India and whatever Indian people do.

Hey ho, whatever. I could keep arguing with you, but the rest of the forum are gonna wonder why I am replying to myself seems as they all have you on ignore...can't imagine why
Another pointless remark, sign of not having much else to say hence start attacking. I am not forcing you to debate. You are free to follow the rest of the forum and put me on Ignore. I will still say what I want to.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I brought Bopara and Shah up because they were mentioned in the article you linked me to, I thought that was tenuous and stupid as well, so it seems we agree on that. Shah was born in Karachi though, not India

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the timing of the publication of the comments is extremely unfortunate, coming as it has just before the Euro Parliament elections, where the BNP & UKIP stand to make serious gains.

&, given the source, it was probably entirely deliberate.

I think anyone who spends any time in our capital knows that London's service industry runs on immigrant labour; they gamely perform all the hard, dirty, menial jobs the natives won't touch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the timing of the publication of the comments is extremely unfortunate, coming as it has just before the Euro Parliament elections, where the BNP & UKIP stand to make serious gains.

&, given the source, it was probably entirely deliberate.

I think anyone who spends any time in our capital knows that London's service industry runs on immigrant labour; they gamely perform all the hard, dirty, menial jobs the natives won't touch.
He isn't saying immigrants shouldn't work, though! He's saying that people in service jobs should be able to speak English - I mean, if I personally ran a hotel or a bar or whatever, I couldn't give a **** what a person I employed to serve customers looked like or where they were from, but they sure as hell need to be able to communicate with them. It's common sense.

I will say though, that I live in an area that probably has a higher white British % than most parts of the country - which jobs are these you're talking about, out of interest? You're obviously in the know for this sort of thing, given your line of work (when you're not pulling a sickie, obv)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
He isn't saying immigrants shouldn't work, though! He's saying that people in service jobs should be able to speak English - I mean, if I personally ran a hotel or a bar or whatever, I couldn't give a **** what a person I employed to serve customers looked like or where they were from, but they sure as hell need to be able to communicate with them. It's common sense.

I will say though, that I live in an area that probably has a higher white British % than most parts of the country - which jobs are these you're talking about, out of interest? You're obviously in the know for this sort of thing, given your line of work (when you're not pulling a sickie, obv)
Is he seriously saying that hotels are employing receptionists that can't speak English though? In the kind of hotels he stays in? I'd be surprised. It can be a bit frustrating sometimes when someone has a thick accent or doesn't quite get what you say. But I've not come across many of these issues that he describes with someone in a job like a hotel receptionist.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's missing the point, though. He didn't say "if you want to come in this country, learn the ****ing language" and he didn't say "British jobs for British workers." He basically said that if your job is to serve the British public then an expected criteria for getting that job should be to speak the language. He didn't go beyond that!
That is sugar coating (infact misquoting) what he said. IMO what he said worse is than saying ""British jobs for British workers.", I have no problem with that, every country in the world has the right to serve its own citizens first only then they can look to serve/help others. While it may be protectionism, IMO It is the right thing. In a multicultural society, Language is the almost always the first level of acceptance. If you can not even accept that then what kind of multicultural level are we talking about here ?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That is sugar coating (infact misquoting) what he said. IMO what he said worse is than saying ""British jobs for British workers.", I have no problem with that, every country in the world has the right to serve its own citizens first only then they can look to serve/help others.
I so dwta.