• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have you done a tour of Lord's?

Have you done a tour of Lord's?

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I took the tour in 2005, it was one of the last things I did in London, but was just one of those things I really had to do and recommend it to everyone who goes on a Cricket Forum.

I took some photos of the urn, the centuries board and the media centre. Really enjoyed the morning.

leepayne

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have had the tour of Lord's. I can even remember the date, Tuesday 29th May 2007. :wacko: A group of us went on a coach trip. The guide thought we were from Sussex and we had to tell him we were from the greatest of cricket counties, Norfolk! We couldn't go into the dressing rooms because there was a match starting the next day, but we went everywhere else, including the Grandstand, and it was a great day.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
i went there in middle of winter and the tour was great! worth every penny it would have better if we were allowed to take more pics though. still would love to go again i liked the Brian Lara one and also the ashes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How much is a tour of Lord's?

Going down to London a couple of times in August, might look into doing the tour while I'm there.

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I've done 6 tours there! Whenever I take a guest to the ground I always do a tour with them (well when it's not a major match-day). And each one has been different (although one tour guide who I've had twice used the same fairly cringe-worthy jokes both times). Also interesting how far and wide the people on all the tour groups have been (they usually ask at the start where people are from).

I would certainly recommend them. The GG one sounds hilarious, you think they'd have made sure they had it on display for his tour at least!

There's a link on the Lord's website which has all the info about the tours: Tours of Lord's - History - Lord's

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Does a County Championship game count as a major match? If so, no tour when I'm down for the Emirates Tournament at Arsenal.

wisden18

No, major matches (sorry I should have been a bit clearer) at Lord's this year are the two ODIs, the Ashes Test, the 20/20 games and the Friends Provident Trophy Final. They usually don't have tours on those days or the days beforehand (although it's worth checking as sometimes they do a fairly limited tour on the days prior to major match day).

On County Championship Match Days the 10am tour normally goes into the pavilion, but only the Long Room (the Dressing Rooms obviously being used so can't go in them, not that there's a great deal to see in them anyway!). Also they seem now to go into the Media Centre on most tours, even when matches are on (they usually usher you pretty quickly into one of the boxes up in there so you don't disturb the journalists too much; superb view from up there).

2freddie

Cricket Spectator
Ive been going to lords every year for the last 6 years, never even occurred to me that they did tours lol.

sounds expensive :-O

Marius

International Debutant
Yeah, I also did it, in September 2006.

Well worth it, and was great going into the Long Room. The museum is also pretty good.

Marius

International Debutant
Don't really think it is what could be called a premium tourist attraction really.

It's basically restricted to cricket fans from the Commonwealth, immediately excluding Americans, Continentals, Japanese etc.

It's not like the London Eye, or London Dungeon which everybody would want to check out, regardless of nationality.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Voted B, went as a kid to the 99WC final never again. But i have passed the ground a few times over the years, when i went to London on the way to Heathrow/Gatwick..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't really think it is what could be called a premium tourist attraction really.

It's basically restricted to cricket fans from the Commonwealth, immediately excluding Americans, Continentals, Japanese etc.

It's not like the London Eye, or London Dungeon which everybody would want to check out, regardless of nationality.
London Eye's not really very expensive either

wisden18

Well on the tours I've been on there's usually been someone from a country where they don't play much cricket, had Americans, Japanese tourists on the tours.

(Also, if you go on a 10am tour when there's a match on, they don't exactly make sure you leave, and you don't need tickets to get into the stands to watch, so . . . 8-)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't been myself, but one of my favourite stories comes from a family friend of ours (sadly passed away last year). He was at one stage the chief executive of the Otago Cricket Association and during NZ's tour of England in 2004, he and his wife went on holiday to the UK. Needless to say, he couldn't miss a chance for a tour of Lord's, so away they went and got a delightfully patronising old chap who showed the group around. The NZers happened to be training there at the time and the tour guide delighted in whispering in hushed tones "and if you're really lucky, you may get the chance to spot one or two of the New Zealanders up close". A couple of minutes later, they walked past the dressing rooms, just as Brendon McCullum walked past. McCullum saw our family friend and said "gidday, Graeme, what on earth are you doing here?" and they proceeded to have a conversation, leaving the tour guide positively gobsmacked and perhaps a little red-faced.