• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Kerala team??

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
I heard a news that with in 1-2 years the IPL is gonna add some more teams........and the latest new is that the famous Indian director Priyadarsan is going to make a plan for it and if it comes true, I am gonna try my luck :happy:

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
There could/should be a team based in Nagpur (Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium) and a team based in Kanpur (Green Park) and then any extra will be good. Nagpur may not happen because of Mumbai being the Maharastra team, but there should be a Uttar Pradesh team based in either Kanpur or Lucknow.

10+ teams would be great. I'm a big fan of the IPL.

I think to make it better, the number of Under-23 players should be cut down to 2 and the number of Indian players down to 6- however, with 10+ teams instead of 8 there wont be any detrimental effect.

I don't know about the stadia in Thiruvananthapuram though.

Last edited:

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Ja, true.

I'm pretty sure South Africa played there in the test series last year (?).

Added to the 8 current IPL teams, and taking into account only 1 team per district:

Uttar Pradesh (in Kanpur @ Green Park probably)
Kerala (in Trivandrum @ University Stadium probably)
Gujarat (in Ahmedabad @ Sardar Patel Stadium)

could be added with no logistical problems.

There is no reason there can't be a team based in Nagpur except Mumbai would want all of the Maharastra support. Still, if there were to be an "EPL", there would be 1 team based @ The Oval and another @ Lord's so there should be a Nagpur team IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I'm not sure why Gujarat doesn't have a team. They should certainly have one, and not just for Ahemdabad.

jeevan

International 12th Man
With due respect to Kerala, it is hard to imagine forming a team when the best player ever from that city/state ever is Sreesanth. Certainly within the present IPL rules of encouraging/quasi-mandating some local and young talent. (Could happen in the future, but it is what it is right now).

UP (current crop of players being RP,Raina,Chawla,Praveen,Kaif) and Gujarat (has 3 Ranji super league teams in Baroda, Saurashtra, Gujarat) have legitimate claims and in fact better claim than Rajasthan and would field competetive teams under current guidelines.

Next on the list, going by domestic cricket teams, is Indian Railways. They're making quite a lot of money lately and have a commercial brand.Would pick them next for an IPL team.

And then, as mentioned, possibly a Nagpur based team covering Vidarbha & central India/MP.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, the only reason Rajasthan got a team is because that's Modi's home ground. Guajarat definitely has a much better claim to a team - it would be better supported and financed.

UP as well, though at least they have Delhi to support. Railways - that doesn't quite fit into the city/state franchise.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No way should there be a Nagpur team- Mumbai and Pune (home of Maharashtra) are much stronger teams, while Vidarbha is a perpetual punching bag in the Plate league, with absolutely nothing at hand.

Kerala may have a shout, but when the only real Kerala players to be anywhere near the national team are Sreesanth and four occasional players in the national/reserve team. Fair, there's a lot that Kerala can advertise as a tourist and culture destination, but from a cricketing point of view, they have almost nothing. In fact, it may be a World XI like Rajasthan (with prominent West Zone influence) or Hyderabad, who can be located anywhere in India.

The cricketing centres that could use their own IPL teams are Baroda (plenty of Baroda players to choose as well as a few from Gujarat and Saurashtra) and Uttar Pradesh (with as many as seven national prospects to choose).

biased indian

International Coach
there is no way a team will be based on talent from the state surly with the modi theaory it will be who will bring in more cash will get a team

will be nice to have team from kerala and if one comes up surely it will be based in cochin no doubt about that for me...

pasag

RTDAS
If they add more teams there's no way the format of everyone playing each other twice can remain. It's too drawn out as it is. They'll have to have everyone playing each other once and a longer finals or, more likely, a two side conference system with everyone playing each other twice within the group.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
We do have stadiums here, University Stadium is there, which is perfect for cricket and there are some small stadiums like MCG (Medical College Ground), other unnamed grounds.

Now coming to players there are a bunch of good players like Sunil Oasis, Ananthapadmanabhan (unlucky fellow who didnt get a chance in Indian team, he was superb spinner)..... We have good number of local players too... including me 8-). it will be tough for the selectors... ( though i played only few matches with cricket ball, I could give it a try)...... I strongly want it to happen.... "Kerala United" our film stars like Mohanlal and mammootty put in some cash ( sorry for talking too much Kerala specific , they are Sharukh's equivalent in malayalam movies)......

biased indian

International Coach
If they add more teams there's no way the format of everyone playing each other twice can remain. It's too drawn out as it is. They'll have to have everyone playing each other once and a longer finals or, more likely, a two side conference system with everyone playing each other twice within the group.
we could easly have 12 teams 6 each from north south and have a grouping based on that

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I will make a side bet that they are going to increase the length of the tournament.

biased indian

International Coach
I will make a side bet that they are going to increase the length of the tournament.
but if they follow the same format and say include 2 more teams the total matches will become 93 ..that 34 more matches...dont see that happening..make it 12 teams 2 groups of 6 each total macth will be 63 and that is managable in the current window

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree with Silent.

With Twenty-20's popularity increasing all the time and the IPL in particular, I could very easily see a 10-week tournament or something with everyone playing each other home and away then the knockouts.

On the debate of not having a team where there are no star players, I don't think that matters at all. The only thing that matters is that the state/city has a good ground and the own has a lot of money behind him/her.

I think to make the cricket better allround, I think they should:

* Change the number of Indian players in 1 team from 7 to 6.
* Change the number of Under-23 Indian players in 1 team from 3 to 2 and maybe even increase that age to 24 baring in mind most we've seen haven't been great.

With 12 teams instead of 8, you'll have the same number of U23/24 players and you'll have 16 more Indian players playing (in regards to 1 round of matches).

You should have players like Jaffer, Vijay, Rahane, Laxman, Badrinath, Parthiv, Pujara, Kaif, Aakash Chopra not playing every game and some of those weren't even selected for their team.

I think it should be an ICC recognised event since, much like the World Series, you have 90% of the world's best players playing. If crappy division 2 county championship cricket is considered "first class" then surely the IPL is.

biased indian

International Coach
^^ current format with 12 teams will be just boring 135 games in 2 months with 2 matches every day will be just take all the fun out of it for me

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
^^ current format with 12 teams will be just boring 135 games in 2 months with 2 matches every day will be just take all the fun out of it for me
I coudn't get enough of it and would love it to go on for twice as long (provided they only had 6 Indians and 2 U23/24 players per team so thae teams are better), but to each their own.

funnygirl

State Regular
Which means Sreesanth will be Icon Player and captain of that team. It will be hard to find another 10 players for that team. :laugh::laugh:
Sreesanth won't .Firstly he can't leave Preity Zinta:laugh:.Secondly he doesn't share a good relation with KCA,i read.