• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing One Hit Wonders . . .

stumpski

International Captain
Unlike Foster though, Sandham scored over 100 f-c hundreds, and has a room named in his honour at The Oval, so you could say a bit more durable.

I think he had a 50 year career at Surrey as he went into coaching and later succeeded Strudwick as the county scorer.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Unlike Foster though, Sandham scored over 100 f-c hundreds, and has a room named in his honour at The Oval, so you could say a bit more durable.

I think he had a 50 year career at Surrey as he went into coaching and later succeeded Strudwick as the county scorer.
Fair point, but like a fellow Surrey centurion of centurions of more recent ilk, his rather excellent domestic career somewhat marred by an oridnary test record.

stumpski

International Captain
Fair point, but like a fellow Surrey centurion of centurions of more recent ilk, his rather excellent domestic career somewhat marred by an oridnary test record.
True ... Hobbs and Sutcliffe were a hard pair to get past though, and he played a few of his Tests out of his normal position. You'd think an opener would find it easier to make runs in the middle order, but it often isn't the case.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Jason Krejza
It's a bit early for that don't you think?

I'm not saying he will do anything special in the future, nor saying he will even play for Australia again, but he could do lots of special things, especially being an attacking spinner with a bit of talent.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It's a bit early for that don't you think?

I'm not saying he will do anything special in the future, nor saying he will even play for Australia again, but he could do lots of special things, especially being an attacking spinner with a bit of talent.
So until that time he achieves something else, he remains a one hit wonder yes?

Hardly disrespecting the cricketer, means at least he has achieved one special feat during his career. Would take that over the numerous other cricketers who achieve nothing.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Rodney Redmond is a much more obvious NZ choice for a One-Hit Wonder than Mathew Sinclair. This article is light on research and heavy on fluff.

andmark

International Captain
Vaughan got an OBE and the whole team got an MBE.
Amongst the list honoured was Collingwood who scored 19 runs all series showing how ridiculous this was.

Warney didn't get honoured despite a monumental hall of wickets almost single handedly trying to stop us.
I've always said he is very lucky; getting an MBE for playing in one match.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Glenn McGrath.

Only had one hit tune - he just played it so well for 10+ years that in the end it made the charts more than 500 times... :ph34r:

stumpski

International Captain
TBF it wasn't that long ago that I created the thread.

There you go: 27/02/09

Fair enough, I was just exaggerating for humorous effect really, :ph34r: but I expect you knew what I meant.

Going back a bit, what about Charles 'Father' Marriott, the Kent leggie who took 11 wickets in his only Test, against the West Indies in 1933? At least Massie and Hirwani got to play for their country again. He was taken to India the following winter, but England opted for Verity and Jim Langridge in the Tests. And as an amateur, he never played more than nine matches in a season thereafter.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Gary Pratt

Where was his MBE? At least he got a place on the open-top bus to Trafalgar Square.

A national treasure and an immortal of the game, based on one moment in one match in which he wasn't even anywhere near being selected to play.

Ricky Ponting's childish dummy-spitting (continued in the media in subsequent days) was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Sometimes, very occasionally, life for an England cricket fan can be very sweet indeed.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Gary Pratt

Where was his MBE? At least he got a place on the open-top bus to Trafalgar Square.

A national treasure and an immortal of the game, based on one moment in one match in which he wasn't even anywhere near being selected to play.

Ricky Ponting's childish dummy-spitting (continued in the media in subsequent days) was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Sometimes, very occasionally, life for an England cricket fan can be very sweet indeed.
He probably contributed more to the victory than collingwood in fairness. Pratt's probable dined off that run out ever since.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aye, pretty sure the crims don't lower themselves to accept British honours anymore. Have the Order of Australia or somesuch now.
Indeed. Have our own honours system here now.

Stops the Libs selling the country out in exchange for Knighthoods and MBEs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Shahid Afridi the batsman????????
Scored one or two innings with the bat, that's it
Test batting average of 37.

Clearly has talent with the bat, sadly in ODIs his only mode of batting is "hit every ball out the ground."

If he actually batted properly, he'd be an outstanding all rounder.