Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's back - Ranatunga wins his FR case against the minister

He's back - Ranatunga wins his FR case against the minister

olombo, 25 May, (Asiantribune.com): The Supreme Court ofArjuna RanatungaArjuna Ranatunga Sri Lanka ruled on Monday, that Arjuna Ranatunga's removal as Chairman of Sri Lanka Cricket Interim Committee by Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge was against natural justice.

The Sri Lankan national team was considered perpetual underdogs but this image changed completely during the 1996 Cricket World Cup, when Sri Lanka defeated tournament favorites Australia to win the Cricket World Cup under the captaincy of Ranatunga. This victory, for which Ranatunga was a pivotal part both as batsman and captain, has ensured that Sri Lanka Cricket Team is no longer underestimated on the world cricket stage

The Supreme Court ordered the State to pay a nominal compensation of Rs. 100,000 and advised the petitioner that he could pursue further legal action since the amount was deemed inadequate.

Mr. Ranatunga filed the fundamental rights plaint, alleging his image as national cricket captain for ten years and as one who had led the team to win 1996 World Cup had been tarnished by the Sports and Sports and Public Recreation Minister's arbitrary and unlawful act.

The three-member Supreme Court panel of judges said there would be no reinstatement, as he had not requested so in his petition.

Source
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Was he denied his natural right to copious Mars Bars?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

State Captain
    The legend is back baby!! My fav along with David Warner.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

Or his right to call on a runner to duck down to the shops and buy them for him.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post

Or his right to call on a runner to duck down to the shops and buy them for him.
    Or his rights to put another Aussie fatty in his place.....
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Obviously must be more to it because the argument that he cannot be sacked from a new position because of his performance in a totally different job more than a decade ago is pure nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Or his rights to put another Aussie fatty in his place.....

Ranatunga should be applauded for getting excess weight recognised as a disability. I stand behind his actions.

Well, not right behind obviously. A little to the left and out of harm's way.

depends on whether it is the Aussie fatty there standing at the left...

I dunno why his always happens though, coz I have seen the man run a lot in ODIs and run fast, as a matter of fact...

If all there is about this incident is Healy's words, I know whom I would rather believe...

depends on whether it is the Aussie fatty there standing at the left...

I dunno why his always happens though, coz I have seen the man run a lot in ODIs and run fast, as a matter of fact...

If all there is about this incident is Healy's words, I know whom I would rather believe...
    Yeah I'd go with Healy every time too.

I think anyone who watched him play in one-dayers in Australia in the 90's (that's the era, not kilos) would be able to recall him calling in the weight loss experts on a number of occasions to do a few laps between wickets for him.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 26-05-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah, David boon beat him to that

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Obviously must be more to it because the argument that he cannot be sacked from a new position because of his performance in a totally different job more than a decade ago is pure nonsense
    The problem was he was sacked without asking for the explanations for his so called wrong doings.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Yeah I'd go with Healy every time too.

I think anyone who watched him play in one-dayers in Australia in the 90's (that's the era, not kilos) would be able to recall him calling in the weight loss experts on a number of occasions to do a few laps between wickets for him.
    link?

I can tell you to watch any India - Sri Lanka game between 96 till he retired when he ran really well between wickets and never had to call in a runner...

link?

I can tell you to watch any India - Sri Lanka game between 96 till he retired when he ran really well between wickets and never had to call in a runner...

I'm pretty sure he was just doing it to annoy us...it worked

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Rantatunga was just like Ganguly. He got under the skin of people who themselves specialized in that field. It was beautiful.

Especially with Ganguly, it was ridiculous how much he annoyed Waugh - the ice man himself. That was the point, and it worked so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Ranatunga and Ganguly will always be disliked by Australians, its sort of part of their legacy as much as their actual cricket exploits.

No surprise that they were far better captains then their respective star batsmen in Sanath and Sachin, who happened to be nice guys with palpably less leadership skills.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information