• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League Expanded from Eight to Twelve Teams

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah sucks that Pakistan won't be playing because their government won't let them go, but the fact that more teams from more nations are involved is great news.

Interesting that Delhi are allowed in for ending up at the top of the points table now, but from next year onwards it will be a play-off between the two losing semi-finalists for the 3rd IPL spot.

I think its better to just give it to the top team. If the top team happens to lose their semi, qualification for the Champions League is a worthy reward for being consistent throughout the league stages.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah sucks that Pakistan won't be playing because their government won't let them go, but the fact that more teams from more nations are involved is great news.

Interesting that Delhi are allowed in for ending up at the top of the points table now, but from next year onwards it will be a play-off between the two losing semi-finalists for the 3rd IPL spot.

I think its better to just give it to the top team. If the top team happens to lose their semi, qualification for the Champions League is a worthy reward for being consistent throughout the league stages.
This.

Flem274*

123/5
So, do IPL players play for their franchise or their domestic side?

Doesn't matter in Otago's case anyway. Expecting the team to be:

B McCullum
C Cumming
S Haig
G Todd
N Broom
D Mascarenhas (if he's allowed, he was the overseas player for Otago)
D DeBoorder
N McCullum
W McSkimming
I Butler
N Wagner

Think they'll do OK, they're always the team everyone down here underestimates.

Sucks that Pakistan can't get a team in.

One question, with two IPLs, how the hell will we fit in the CL as well and still have normal cricket?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's no confirmation of two IPLs anywhere. Just hints from Modi.

I seriously doubt that it will happen in the near future.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

yeah, if the topper does go through to the final, it can go to the 2nd in the table or 3rd in the table. That way, the league standings do become important.

For instance, had Chennai defeated KKR and Delhi's results been the same, Chennai would have gone through.. I am sure the India Cements guys are going crazy about that... :)

James

Cricket Web Owner

Doesn't matter in Otago's case anyway.
Woops, I was wrong, seems I mis-read. Haha.

McCullum is allowed to play. Great news, and should be good to have Mascarenhas involved as well :)

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach

Things need to cool down more before Pakistan can get involved especially if the tournament is in India also sad to see no BD team getting involved.

biased indian

International Coach
in todays newspaper there was something about indian players playing couldnt understand it did any one else found that confusing i am saying about The Hindu

and what about the name Champions League have UEFA allowed to use the name

R_D

International Debutant
Yeah the players play for the Franchise.

Should be interesting with teams from all different countries but this year is becoming a 20-20 overkill... IPL just finished, T20 starting in less than 2 weeks and than Champs league in October.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its ultimate up to the player right? If they play for the franchise, and the domestic teams get compensated, right?

The situation occurred with Mike Hussey, whereby if last year's Champions League went ahead, he would have played for Chennai, and WA would have received a compensatory payment.

But 9 times out of 10 they'll choose the money over their domestic team you'd imagine. Particularly because if its an intl superstar, they probably played more for their franchise than their domestic team!!!

R_D

International Debutant
Na ultimately its upto the Franchise .. whether they want to pay the relieving fee to the respective players state team or not.

Flem274*

123/5
Well they can **** off. Why would they get first dibbs on him after Otago if his franchise don't want him anyway?

Howsie

International Captain
I don't know anything about this champions league thing but are you saying that if NSW want McCullum he has to play for them, he can't choose Otago. That has to be the biggest joke ever. The winning team gets what, 12 millon dollars. NSW better be prepared to fork out atleast 4-5 million I would say.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
was reffering to reports like this

Link -- > UEFA object to BCCI for Champions League nomenclature
Interesting. As said, they haven't had problems with the mentioned sports. (Though they are admittedly smaller on the world stage, they're considerably larger than cricket in UEFA countries.)

It may be that they only have a problem with BCCI applying for a worldwide trademark - which is understandable as that would conceivably stop UEFA calling their tournament the Champions League. So BCCI might find another name because they want a trademarked name, not because UEFA ban it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know anything about this champions league thing but are you saying that if NSW want McCullum he has to play for them, he can't choose Otago. That has to be the biggest joke ever. The winning team gets what, 12 millon dollars. NSW better be prepared to fork out atleast 4-5 million I would say.
Pretty sure the rules are IPL sides first (or atleast have first right to pay local domestic side), then domestic side and then any other overseas side they play for. Anyway we got Jaques to replace Warner, atleast he can score runs in more then one game in every 10, like the other two.

Mind you there probably a certain value that the IPL can pay the domestic side. So I guess any other overseas side can pay that amount. Though with the side we could have at full strength, McCullum probably not worth the pay out.

Last edited: