• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League Expanded from Eight to Twelve Teams

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cricinfo - Pakistan not consulted over Champions League exclusion

The PCB's own inaction has done nothing to ease the situation. The day after the decision was announced, a number of senior officials were contacted, none of whom had any coherent reply to the situation. One senior official didn't know what the Champions League was, while others referred the matter to the chairman, who simply referred it back.
Well, I suppose they could be busy discussing Shoaib's member in highly inappropriate ways.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. I don't care about any ODI from now until the end of time. I care very slightly more about T20s.
All 3 formats have a place in the international calendar.

Teams like WI, PAK, SRI, NZ & even India to a degree - who have average domestic FC competitions, will always use ODI success to chose player in test matches.

Surely you won't be fast tracking players into test sides based on T20 form now?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What is a crock of **** about the players IPL or domestic sides debate, is that one of the the tournament rules and stipulations is - "only players who were part of the orginal championship winning teams can represent their respective domestic sides at the Champions League."

So the Cobras will lose Gibbs but can't replace him with new signing Robbie P or former ICL player, Justin Kemp. Dog****.
That's the rule I was trying to think of that irked me last time! Biggest nonsense rule of all-time

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All 3 formats have a place in the international calendar.

Teams like WI, PAK, SRI, NZ & even India to a degree - who have average domestic FC competitions, will always use ODI success to chose player in test matches.
You have it backwards. The competitions are average because they don't put as much stock into it. Not the other way around. If they actually worked at the FC system, that's all they would need.

And even if the FC system is sub-optimal, I'd much rather still take an FC player over an ODI star. A point Yuvraj seems intent on proving over and over again.

Fusion

Global Moderator
This is further proof of the ineptness of the PCB. If things continue like this, Pakistan will slowly wither away in International Cricket and be no better than the likes of Zimbabwe and BD. It is apparent that the “Asian” voting bloc is no more. IPL changed everything. Suddenly, India no longer needed the support of Pakistan and the other Asian countries to further its goals. The priorities of the BCCI and the Western bloc become one and the same with the introduction of the IPL. Everyone realized that there was heaps of money to be made through Twenty20. So now BCCI, CA, CSA, and England are the big four with everyone else happy to be invited to the cool jock’s club. India no longer has to support Pakistan, and the multitude of complex problems that come with that support. Pakistan is on its own. They have irked ICC as a whole and the powerful BCCI in specific. The only way to survive and prosper is through a competent governing body. Since no such body exists at the moment, Pakistan’s isolation continues.

RainaRocks

Cricket Spectator
That makes sense, but then what is the purpose of payment? If the player decides, then that's it, correct? When does one team pay another?
For example:

I don't mind players choosing, until they start writing it into their respective contracts, but then what's the purpose of payment?
I am not sure but there might be two reasons for the payment:

1) Firstly, the t20 team from which the player would opt out to participate for another t20 team would be in losses as it would lose an important player. So, Lalit Modi has thought that the team who loses out on the player should be compensated for the same. But the fees for the player will be $250,000 which does not make much sense because the base money for participating for a t20 team in the CL itself is $250,000. So, why will a team give away the whole base amount it earns for participating in the Champions League for a single player.

But then most of the teams will be playing in the CL for winning it and if they win the CL they will get at least a few million dollars. And there will be other profits from promotions, sponsors, merchandise, advertisements in their respective countries. So, it makes sense to some extent why they will fork out $250,000 for a player.

2) But my second theory which makes more sense is that maybe Lalit Modi has kept the player in the win-win situation. Maybe the player will have to be paid by both the t20 teams during the Champions League as the player is available for play during that period. But then the player will choose one of the teams which will mean the other team will be paying the player without his actual presence. So, to compensate this payment the team where the player has opted to play from will have to fork out $250,000 to the second t20 team.

Moreover, Modi might have kept this money because he knows $250,000 does not matter to an IPL franchisee and so they will easily fork out. But the other t20 team will also be satisfied after receiving the money. So, it is win-win situation for both the franchisees and at last it would have benefited IPL franchisees if the situation arised.

BTW my instincts tell me that Champions League might be even a much bigger hit than the IPL because in IPL, the main interest is of the Indian public. But in the Champions League, all the followers of all the T20 teams from various teams will support their own teams. So, this might be a much bigger hit because it might have a lot more viewership because team loyalties will exist in all the cricketing countries of the world including India (and barring Pakistan :laugh: )

Flem274*

123/5
I think McCullum will go for Otago personally. He turns up for their domestic games whenever he can whilst many of the other Black Caps are having a day off, so he's pretty loyal.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure IPL contracts are based on matches played for both the IPL and CL. So if a IPL player played for his domestic side he will lose money on his potential IPL income. Even if someone like Maharoof and McDonald sat on the bench they will earn more money then for their domestic sides. I know Maharoof will play for Delhi, as he will lose too much money personally, even if he sits on the bench. Also the compo would be more money they Wayamba got for winning the SL Twenty20 title.

Can't see many players choicing their domestic sides over IPL. They would lose too much money.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Will be fascinating if Yorks ever get into this comp. A Yorkshireman, that played for the county, who played for an IPL Franchise rather than the Broad Acres should be released from their contract and sent into exile to Derbyshire or wherever will take him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
to be fair though that's a bit like wondering whether my girlfriend would binbag me for cheating on her with Kirsten Dunst :ph34r:

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty sure IPL contracts are based on matches played for both the IPL and CL. So if a IPL player played for his domestic side he will lose money on his potential IPL income. Even if someone like Maharoof and McDonald sat on the bench they will earn more money then for their domestic sides. I know Maharoof will play for Delhi, as he will lose too much money personally, even if he sits on the bench. Also the compo would be more money they Wayamba got for winning the SL Twenty20 title.

Can't see many players choicing their domestic sides over IPL. They would lose too much money.
But McCullum is choosing between Otago and New South Wales.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think it's a pretty tough sell either way,

"But, darling, she's sooo much fitter than you. I really had no choice"

Same for the poor old conflicted cricketer,

"Be giving 110% next season until my IPL team wants me & then it's ker-ching! See ya, losers!"

No way to keep fans/gf onside that I see.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I don't like this business of money though. Either the player should decide, and no money should exhchange hands, or it should be written into the contracts and no money should exchange hands.

Now, what if (for example) Warner wants to play for Delhi, but Delhi doesn't really want to pay. Can they say 'see you later?'

I'm still not clear on who pays who and under what circumstances? NSW seems to be OK with paying Otago - how many T20s has McCullum played for Otago? Last year, it was a matter of paying Hussey's "home" club but hussey had not played a single T20 game for them. Ever. It seems unfair.

I'm perfectly happy with a player choosing. I know a lot of people would be upset in India if in the same situation Tendulkar chose Yorkshire over Mumbai (I personally wouldn't care), so you can't blame the player for choosing their home board, or the money if they want. But leave it up to them, without this money business.

Last edited:

Smith

Banned
Yea, I don't like this business of money though. Either the player should decide, and no money should exhchange hands, or it should be written into the contracts and no money should exchange hands.

Now, what if (for example) Warner wants to play for Delhi, but Delhi doesn't really want to pay. Can they say 'see you later?'

I'm still not clear on who pays who and under what circumstances? NSW seems to be OK with paying Otago - how many T20s has McCullum played for Otago? Last year, it was a matter of paying Hussey's "home" club but hussey had not played a single T20 game for them. Ever. It seems unfair.

I'm perfectly happy with a player choosing. I know a lot of people would be upset in India if in the same situation Tendulkar chose Yorkshire over Mumbai (I personally wouldn't care), so you can't blame the player for choosing their home board, or the money if they want. But leave it up to them, without this money business.
Isn't the IPL salary inclusive of appearances in CL as well?

In that case, the Franchise players are bound by the contract and should play for their IPL teams imo.

I am yet to find details of this pay structure in CL, and hence am not in a position to debate it's intricacies.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You have it backwards. The competitions are average because they don't put as much stock into it. Not the other way around. If they actually worked at the FC system, that's all they would need.
In cricket history Australia, England & West Indies have dominated test cricket & during their respective periods of dominace - they had STRONG FC Competitions.

I dont see why other nations would not want to put effort into establishing their FC competitions. Its not that they dont have "stock" to do it. But they can't in WI & NZ.

And even if the FC system is sub-optimal, I'd much rather still take an FC player over an ODI star. A point Yuvraj seems intent on proving over and over again.
Yes you would. But India have never had that luxury though have they given that their FC structure is poor. Almost every Indian legend was picked on talent or ODI form into the test arena.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes you would. But India have never had that luxury though have they given that their FC structure is poor. Almost every Indian legend was picked on talent or ODI form into the test arena.
Like who?

Tendulkar? No. Kumble? No. Dravid? No. Laxman? No. Sehwag? No.

Yuvraj? Yes.

You make up your mind.

Yes you would. But India have never had that luxury though have they given that their FC structure is poor.
What makes it so poor?

Flem274*

123/5
In reply to SS on the prev. page: McCullum has won off his own bat the list A title for Otago and I can't remember his 20/20 performance, but he played quite a few games for them during the season.