• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League Expanded from Eight to Twelve Teams

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Only positive i can see in this tournament is average players of the various nations will have a chance to earn big bucks. Since with the packed international schedule the international players will be hard pressed to be involved in this.

So the who is the international regulars.
Oh yea, they're really going to be mad at earning 2x their annual income in a month. They'll be lining up....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yea, they're really going to be mad at earning 2x their annual income in a month. They'll be lining up....

I strongly suggest you look beyond your ideological standpoint on the matter, and adhere to criticisms towards all these hastily organised T20 tournaments.

Since regardless of what your view or mine is, what cannot be debated - is that INCREASED player burnout is going to be a serious issue in the future.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I strongly suggest you look beyond your ideological standpoint on the matter, and adhere to criticisms towards all these hastily organised T20 tournaments.
Hah, what?

Since regardless of what your view or mine is, what cannot be debated - is that INCREASED player burnout is going to be a serious issue in the future.
Sure - it can be debated. I'll debate it. I think that stuff is overrated, it's up to the boards to rest their players from the meaningless 7 ODI series.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sure - it can be debated. I'll debate it. I think that stuff is overrated, it's up to the boards to rest their players from the meaningless 7 ODI series.
I dont mind the concept of a Champions League and Im no fan of ODIs but even the most meaningless ODI 7 game series is lightyears more important than this Champions League.

This event has to be played as a fesitval and a celebration of world cricket (and players getting paid) as it has no credibility as a 'real' tournament. Almost like an annual 'All-star' cricket festival drawing players and teams from around the globe.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I dont mind the concept of a Champions League and Im no fan of ODIs but even the most meaningless ODI 7 game series is lightyears more important than this Champions League.
Disagree. I don't care about any ODI from now until the end of time. I care very slightly more about T20s.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
The logistics in regards to team members for Bangalore isn't that difficult for the most part: Dillon du Preez will play for the Diamond Eagles, Nathan Bracken will play for NSW & Cameron White will play for Victoria.

For the others, I'm sure Gibbs will play for the Cape Cobras, Nannes for Victoria and Maharoof for Wayamba since they are the teams who hold their contracts and would severly object to the IPL teams having first say.

So there aren't too many clashes tbh.

Hopefully the rules will be relaxed in regards to having 3 under-23 players and 7 Indian for the IPL teams.

If so, you're probably looking at:

BANGALORE:
Pandey/Ryder
Kallis
Pietersen
Dravid
Taylor
Boucher (wk)
van der Merwe
Praveen Kumar
Vinay Kumar
Steyn
Kumble (c)

DECCAN:
Gilchrist (wk and c)
Rohit
Laxman
Symonds
Smith
Styris
Vaas
Edwards
Ojha
Harris
RP Singh

DEHLI:
Gambhir
Sehwag (c)
Dilshan
De Villiers
Karthik
Collingwood
Manhas (wk)
Vettori
Pragyan
Mishra
Nehra

NSW:
Hughes
Katich/Jaques
Warner
Khawaja
Clarke (wouldn't pick him myself, but he's bound to play)
Haddin (wk)
Henriques
Lee
Bracken
Clark
****ley/Hauritz/Casson/Bollinger

VICTORIA:
Quiney
Blizzard
Hodge
D.Hussey
White (c)
Crosthwaite (wk)
Finch
McDonald
Nannes
Siddle
Harwood

CAPE COBRAS:
Smith (c)
Gibbs
Duminy
Ontong
Peterson
Kleinveldt
Davids
Philander
Canning (wk)
Langeveldt
Zondeki

DIAMOND EAGLES (only 10 contracted players inc 2 WK's atm):
van Wyk (wk)
?
Elgar
Dippenaar (c)
Bailey
Bosman
du Preez
CJ de Villiers
Mpitsang
Tshabalala
?

OTAGO VOLTS:
B.McCullum (wk and c)
Cumming
Redmond
Rutherford
Broom
Todd
Macarenhas (if Hampshire aren't 1 of the English teams)
N.McCullum
McSkimming
Butler
Wagner

T and T:
Simmons
Guillen
D.Ganga (c)
Dwayne Bravo
Ramdin (wk)
Pollard
Cruickshank
S.Ganga
Badree
Rampaul
Jaggernauth

WAYAMBA: (Stole Chaminda's but exchanged Perera for Maharoof)
Kulatunga
Udawatte
Mubarak (c)
Jayawardene
de Silva (wk)
Lokuarachchi
Udana
Herath
Maharoof
Mendis
Welegedara
Are you seriously saying that if you were the selector for NSW, Clarke would not get a run? Madness.

And I believe that Delhi Daredevils will have first dibs on Warner.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What is a crock of **** about the players IPL or domestic sides debate, is that one of the the tournament rules and stipulations is - "only players who were part of the orginal championship winning teams can represent their respective domestic sides at the Champions League."

So the Cobras will lose Gibbs but can't replace him with new signing Robbie P or former ICL player, Justin Kemp. Dog****.

Flem274*

123/5
What is a crock of **** about the players IPL or domestic sides debate, is that one of the the tournament rules and stipulations is - "only players who were part of the orginal championship winning teams can represent their respective domestic sides at the Champions League."

So the Cobras will lose Gibbs but can't replace him with new signing Robbie P or former ICL player, Justin Kemp. Dog****.
Haha, what if out of a 15 man squad, hypothetically you had five guys in IPL sides? :p

That would be interesting/funny.

Smith

Banned
Only positive i can see in this tournament is average players of the various nations will have a chance to earn big bucks. Since with the packed international schedule the international players will be hard pressed to be involved in this.

So the who is the international regulars.
I don't think so. Firstly there is no cricket during that time other than CL. So I don't think except for struggling players like Hussey etc, anyone would skip it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
From the latest article in times of india... apparently its upto the players to chose who to play for.

Gibbs to make choice between Deccan and Cobras - News - News - - IPL - Times of India Cricket
The layers can choose their own teams. But the other team will have to pay for the conflicting players.

Cricinfo - McCullum in demand for Champions League
That's what I thought it was.

That's a good way of doing it. Then the fans of the domestic teams can only blame the player if they choose to play for their IPL team ahead of their domestic team. Don't blame the IPL for it then.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That makes sense, but then what is the purpose of payment? If the player decides, then that's it, correct? When does one team pay another?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For example:
Should Warner choose Delhi Daredevils, the franchise would need to pay New South Wales compensation, as would the Blues to Otago if they signed McCullum.
I don't mind players choosing, until they start writing it into their respective contracts, but then what's the purpose of payment?

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Is that rule a new addition? I was under the impression that Middlesex signed Carter "on loan" from Warwicks last winter with half an eye on him playing in the original (cancelled) CL?

That's what I thought it was.

That's a good way of doing it. Then the fans of the domestic teams can only blame the player if they choose to play for their IPL team ahead of their domestic team. Don't blame the IPL for it then.
I'd far prefer the IPL teams to have first dibs, myself. The CL concept wouldn't exist but for the IPL and, if it's a question of parochial loyalty or $100k or so most right-minded players will opt for the latter. At least if the IPL has first call on the players services the player has the fig leaf of having no choice.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd far prefer the IPL teams to have first dibs, myself. The CL concept wouldn't exist but for the IPL and, if it's a question of parochial loyalty or $100k or so most right-minded players will opt for the latter. At least if the IPL has first call on the players services the player has the fig leaf of having no choice.
The player's salaries are based on playing for the IPL - they get paid their full salary for playing in the IPL. I am sure they will be paid for the CL, but I don't necessarily think the salary would be higher if they played for Delhi instead of Victoria, since each team gets the same base participation money.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, because this allows the anti-IPl/BCCI tirade to say the CL is purposely favouring the IPL to ensure that an IPL team has the best chance of winning the tournament.

This way, its completely open. Most players will choose the money, and the fans should see this. And not have an excuse to bitch if their team loses.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The player's salaries are based on playing for the IPL - they get paid their full salary for playing in the IPL. I am sure they will be paid for the CL, but I don't necessarily think the salary would be higher if they played for Delhi instead of Victoria, since each team gets the same base participation money.
Not sure I agree with your conclusion, although it's nice all teams get the same participation money (I assume there'll be performance-related payments made to the teams depending on which stage they get to/how many wins they record as well). The income the IPL franchises get from other sources almost certainly dwarfs what domestic FC entities in any other country get, so I think it's fair to assume their CL players would be paid more too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not sure I agree with your conclusion, although it's nice all teams get the same participation money (I assume there'll be performance-related payments made to the teams depending on which stage they get to/how many wins they record as well). The income the IPL franchises get from other sources almost certainly dwarfs what domestic FC entities in any other country get, so I think it's fair to assume their CL players would be paid more too.
Perhaps, however, I know in the NFL, all the participating players are paid a flat salary by the league (in addition to their contracts, which cover the regular season only). The CL could be structured similarly, in that they all get payment from the governing body.

Of course, right now I have no idea on the payment structure that the teams will decide on, and I'm not sure any information has been released (or even decided).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, because this allows the anti-IPl/BCCI tirade to say the CL is purposely favouring the IPL to ensure that an IPL team has the best chance of winning the tournament.

This way, its completely open. Most players will choose the money, and the fans should see this. And not have an excuse to bitch if their team loses.
Fair enough, I suppose. Although those self same people would probably moan anyway.

Prefer avarice in sportsmen to appear slightly less craven, myself.