• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What rules do you play?

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was just wondering what rules every one plays in their local league, as I know in Australia you tend to play more time based games than limited overs, is that correct?

The rules we play over here, I play for Birstwith in the Nidderdale League are:

Senior league - played every Saturday for 22 weeks from around 20th April to 16th September. Starts at 2.00pm, 45 overs per side, 4 points for a win, 1 point for bowling the other team out, 1 point for batting the full 45 overs. 12 overs per bowler - unless u15 were you can only bowl two 5 over spells with a ten over break inbetween (this is inline with ecb fast bowling directives, and u17s can only bowl a maximum two 6 over spells with a 12 over break inbetween and u19s one 7 over spell + 5 overs with 14 over break after the 7 overs)

Evening league competition - played on Wednesday nights - 20 overs per side - 4 overs per bowler. (used to be 18 - 8 ball overs but has now changed to jump on the t20 bandwagon)

Junior
u17s (which i play in) - 20/22 overs per side (depends on weather and whether we will get it in before the light becomes too bad) played on a thursday night, 6.30pm start 6 overs per bowler.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
48 overs per innings.
1 point per 40 runs for the batting side.
1 point per 2 wickets for the bowling side.
7 points for a win.
4 for a draw IIRC
Maximum of 12 overs per bowler.
U16's can bowl maximum of 6 overs per spell.

jimbles

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wednesday and Tuesday cup rules :
12 8 ball overs
Everyone, except wicket, must bowl at least 1 over in the tuesday cup

Saturday rules :
50 6 ball overs
maximum 10 overs per bowler

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
The competition I play in (Yarra Pubs Cricket Association) is quite unique and has a host of unusual rules as follows:

1. No LBW
2. Wides are rebowled without any run penalty
3. Batsman's first ball is a free hit
4. You may drink beer on the field (cans only)
5. 25 overs per team
6. batsman to retire at the end of the over in which they reach 30 (can return later if needed)
7. Max 3 overs per bowler (four bowlers only).
8. A bolwer cannot bowl a third over before the 21st over of the innings
9. There is no limit on the number of players on the team (although obviously only eleven can bat and only eleven on the field at any time) our team regularly uses 14-16 players.
10. A team can use more than 11 bowlers
11. Short pitched bowling at the body is punished with a 2 run penalty and rebowled.
12. The home team must suply a free barbeque for the change of innings break
13. There are no attire rules, except that whites are frowned upon and lead to ridicule and possibly accusations of "ring in"
14. Games are played on Sundays as the grounds are not being used by more serious leagues.
15. A team will generally only play every second week as we don't have sufficient grounds for every week and sometimes two of our 4 grounds are being used by a womens comp.
16. For the first time, this season we were actually officially sanctioned by the VCA.

I think thats about it. It all might sound a bit silly, but we take it quite seriously and would much prefer to drink and celebrate at our Pub that night than comiserate at the opposition's Pub.

cheers

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
agreed - a lot more complicated than normal cricket - and some say thats complicated enough - and if everyones pissed up when playing it, how does anyone remember them all?
It's actually not complicated at all, scorers can tell when someone reaches 30; bowlers themseleves will know how many overs they've bowled (if they can count to 2).

Its heaps of fun. Relies on the whole team and not just individual gun players to win (although they still help). Encourages allround skills too and is played at a reasonably frenetic pace. Getting everyone to bowl also has the advantage of real sense of tactics in both batting and bowling order.

We can sometimes be a little under the weather, but generally save the getting pissed till after the game.

At my age (34 with fast fading physical abilities) it has the advantage of short, sharp exposure to batting, bowling and if you have enough players you can also have a short "refreshment break" off the field (although I love fielding, so I don't often volounteer). I'm no longer interested in spending 5 hours in the field on a 40deg day and this is a great way to get an enjoyable game of cricket in.

:cool:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I play in the LJ Hooker Comp for the Tweed and Richmond areas when at home.

Our rules go something like this:

2 Day Games

Teams can bat for a maximum of 75 overs
Points awarded for first innings with bat and ball + points for 1st innings win etc
No points for second innings batting or bowling (i.e: no bonus points for runs scored or wickets taken) - a rule which has seen some matches called at 3pm on the second day when it's obvious playing on will be for nothing.
We have to use Gabba balls due to sponsorship - they're ****ing ****! Flat seam and only good for the first 15 overs or so before they offer nothing. Each ball is different though, most are ****...then you get some that are ok. Have seen quite a few games where the team is 4/5 for not much inside the first 15-20 overs and then goes on to score 200+. Not the best for a seam bowler to use.
12 players can be named, 11 bat and 11 bowl. Another poor rule which often sees a guy come up from seconds to fill the batting role only to **** himself and score a duck while a guy who probably would have scored more sits on the sidelines cause he's a bowler (that'd be me :happy:). Then, when it comes to the crunch and you're in a tight situation where you're 8 down with 30 to get you're relying on guys who may have only batted 3 times in the previous 3 months to try to hang around - mind you, you can choose not to pick 12.

1 Day Games

40 overs
The rest is the same as above.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Friendlies are 20/20 if we don't have that much time so most of the time 40 overs per inning.
6 balls per over.

League in Belgium consist of 45 overs per innings ( for this year)

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Here in Quebec Canada, we play 5 50 over games in a season and 15 T20's (started recently). For 50 over games, we have the old rules of an ODI, 15 overs field restrictions and so on.

The Quebec Cricket Federation consists of 15 clubs. Each club is with a Premier level team (if they qualify), an A level, and a B level team (Juniors).

There is a lack of grounds but we still have around 10-12 grounds here. Season starts May, ends in September. Games are on weekends.

The Premier level is the highest level in terms of playing standards and skill level.

Canadian National Team has Qaisar Ali currently playing against Scotland who plays for a club here in Montreal, Quebec Canada.

In World Cup 2003 Ashish Patel from Canada, bowled Jacques Kallis, Ashish Patel is also from a club in Montreal, QC, Canada.

I play for the Premier team of my club as an attack bowler.