• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do umpires always get bagged out?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
So NZ never get decisions in their favour to balance that out?

this is a formular that should neve be used.. the simle fact is that if that was the case win/loss ratios by all teams would be much closer.

a lesser team should not even use this formular, on a presonal level it may make sense but in the larger scheme of the game it is an incorrect notion to hold.

i would like to know that any teams win/loss is purely based on the players performance not because the umpire decision may or may not have influrenced the game.

jimbles

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This reminds me of the ump in our Tuesday cup game.

The ump gave our player out for LBW, when hit the edge of his bat!!!!! Shocking or what!! Luckily, we won, or the ump would of been bollocked for ages

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Made a conscious decision couple of years ago that I will not be complaining about umpire decisions and will accept it as part of the game. Watching Cricket matches has been a lot more fun and enjoying since.

Doesn't mean will not point sheer incompetency but just wont complain about umpiring decisions after a loss just like I dont complain about them after a win.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket umpires cop it far less than umpires from other sports, particularly football codes.

You can't verbally abuse a cricket umpire without taking another mortgage. In other sports its a daily occurrence.

Really ? In the NBA a Ref can throw you and your coach both out of the game, same is true for Soccer as well. Tennis, if you dont like his decision you can go and **** yourself, Umps dont give a toss about what you say there.

Only if Cricket field Umps are used like dirt bags with no respect from anyone. Worst job on a cricket field.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If you foster a culture where umpires are looked down on, it doesn't matter what you pay them, you won't get the best decision makers taking part in the first place. Ex-players won't want to become one, because they see them as "the enemy" rather than someone who is respected; and the best people can't be bothered with putting up with unnecessary stick in the first place as they are coming through the ranks, especially when it's a part time thing anyway.

Matt79

Global Moderator
this is a formular that should neve be used.. the simle fact is that if that was the case win/loss ratios by all teams would be much closer.

a lesser team should not even use this formular, on a presonal level it may make sense but in the larger scheme of the game it is an incorrect notion to hold.

i would like to know that any teams win/loss is purely based on the players performance not because the umpire decision may or may not have influrenced the game.
Why not? Can't jus say "shouldn't use this formula" without saying why not.

As for your second point, and you saying that some teams get a pronounced, consistent bias towards them in terms of umpiring mistakes, sufficient to lift their winning average? If so, love to hear about it. (lemme guess, you're thinking about Australia here?)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why not? Can't jus say "shouldn't use this formula" without saying why not.

As for your second point, and you saying that some teams get a pronounced, consistent bias towards them in terms of umpiring mistakes, sufficient to lift their winning average? If so, love to hear about it. (lemme guess, you're thinking about Australia here?)
Maybe he isn't. I am though.

That point is irrelevant. It's not a nationalistic bias, some people, like Warne, are excellent at the art of the appeal. There is a fine line you have to walk, between seeming too timid as if you don't think he is out, and seeming petulant at not getting your way. I've observed several people do this perfectly.

It's a ludicrous system anyway.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
That was a rank Yorker with no foot-movement bang in front of off. You couldn't get much more plumb. He gave either Kasprowicz or Gillespie out in the first-innings when they were less out.
I don't think you can say 'less out' or 'more out' unless you have the thought process of an umpire or see things from their perspective. I think the decision making process and how the most subtle things can alter their decision making are crucial to the LBW law and so I'll never dispute an LBW decision, when in clear thought.

But I'll accept if you think that such thought is bollocks.