• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modi hints @ 2 IPL tourneys a year

kingkallis

International Coach
Lalit Modi, the IPL commissioner, has hinted that the Twenty20 tournament could be held twice a year, once in India and a shorter one overseas.

So it seems Chris Gayle's statement regarding the death of test cricket was a part of this! :ph34r:

This is really greedy and a pretty pathetic and sad news for cricket. It should not be allowed!

Read the full article

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bleh, hope not. Looking at the England-Windies series, it seems that the IPL basically puts any real efforts at Test cricket on the backburner, so the less of it the better, IMO. So far I've resisted predicting the death of Test cricket, but I really don't want to see Test series put off, shortened or simply not scheduled because of the IPL, and it does kinda seem that it's going that way.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lalit Modi, the IPL commissioner, has hinted that the Twenty20 tournament could be held twice a year, once in India and a shorter one overseas.

So it seems Chris Gayle's statement regarding the death of test cricket was a part of this! :ph34r:

This is really greedy and a pretty pathetic and sad news for cricket. It should not be allowed!

Read the full article
I will personally hate that...1 IPL a year is tolerable, (and at times enjoyable) though...

masterblaster

International Captain
Obviously Lalit Modi knows nothing about oversaturation. The interest in the tournament will fade fast if this happens.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, way to kill the golden goose. Ever here of over saturation?
I doubt if he is trying to kill the Golden Goose. I suspect he is afraid the eggs are not enough to keep the goose from starving. I think he has finally realised that one tournament is not going to pay back enough to keep the team owners interested by providing decent returns on their investment. So he is trying to increase 'production' as it were. Trying to spread his fixed costs (on the players) over a larger output.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think it would be extremely difficult for some players to play in both tournaments. They will have to choose one tournament to play in, or give up international cricket altogether

inbox24

International Debutant
Might as well get rid of test and ODI cricket and play 4 IPL tourneys a year, one every season.

pasag

RTDAS
Could be a bargaining tool to get the ICC to give them a window. Like others, I can't see the strategic long term value in this at all. Sure it might see great profits in the short term, but it can be very damaging in the medium term. Have they learnt nothing from ODIs?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Overkill IMO. 1 is enough, too many if you ask me. There are so many problems it isn't funny. Interest will fade (it already has between season 1 and 2), players wont be able to make it, be worse in the long term, and as a consequence of all of these plus more, it will eventually die out or become majorly unsucessful.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Indeed massive overkill, the IPL is unsustainable in it's current format, it's too gimmicky and has the look of a fad. Needs to change and become more professional, more cricket oriented if it is to survive in the long term. 2 tournaments is huge overkill, ratings are already down from last year, 2 tournies would just quicken the decline.

Smith

Banned
I doubt if he is trying to kill the Golden Goose. I suspect he is afraid the eggs are not enough to keep the goose from starving. I think he has finally realised that one tournament is not going to pay back enough to keep the team owners interested by providing decent returns on their investment. So he is trying to increase 'production' as it were. Trying to spread his fixed costs (on the players) over a larger output.
I doubt that's hardly the reason behind this. If I recollect right, most of the teams have broken even broken even as far as finances are concerned. Obviously the shift to SA at the last moment meant the franchises incurred additional expenditure than budgeted. However the same was easily covered with the renewed TV deal with Sony.

Or are you privy to information which I am not? Please share the same in that case.

pasag

RTDAS
I doubt that's hardly the reason behind this. If I recollect right, most of the teams have broken even broken even as far as finances are concerned. Obviously the shift to SA at the last moment meant the franchises incurred additional expenditure than budgeted. However the same was easily covered with the renewed TV deal with Sony.

Or are you privy to information which I am not? Please share the same in that case.
I thought they had an acrimonious split with Sony?