• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modi hints @ 2 IPL tourneys a year

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Maybe the 2nd tournament should be Indian players only.
Was thinking that. Run it alongside the Ranji/Duleep trophies as a purely Indian domestic comeptition in order to help develop young Indian players for the main event when the international players and Indian superstars come to the party.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Was thinking that. Run it alongside the Ranji/Duleep trophies as a purely Indian domestic comeptition in order to help develop young Indian players for the main event when the international players and Indian superstars come to the party.
Only problem is that no one would watch just like no one watches Ranji/Duleep. Especially if Indian internationals aren't playing.

You would be better off having a tournment with no international restrications and just let the best 11 players play overseas.

Howsie

International Captain
I wouldn't mind seeing two IPL tournaments a year because it would most likely get boring very quickly, thus erasing the IPL for good.

Matt79

Global Moderator
yet to sit down and watch a single IPL game. Unlikely to do so even if they're on more often. But will be cut if it means international cricket suffers.

Howsie

International Captain
That same IPL that you've posted 52 times about in the official thread? :ph34r:
And how many times have I talked about NZ players in those 52 posts. If there wern't any NZ's in the IPL I wouldn't care less about the IPL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So you care about NZ players playing in a domestic T20 comp more than the England vs. WI test series right?

I think that's the point. Even on this board the IPL has been talked about heaps (and not just by Indian posters)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They should have a 50 over comp betwen the IPL sides... that wud be so much better... but obviously the calender problems will be there...

Flem274*

123/5
So you care about NZ players playing in a domestic T20 comp more than the England vs. WI test series right?

I think that's the point. Even on this board the IPL has been talked about heaps (and not just by Indian posters)
WI vs England greater than NZers in IPL.

I'm happy our boys are getting a big pay day, and its nice to see them do well (well, not so much this year), but I really couldn't care about it and don't follow it. Just pick up what happens when Athlai talks about his bets on msn.

Actualy, thats a plus point the IPL has, gambling.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WI vs England greater than NZers in IPL.

I'm happy our boys are getting a big pay day, and its nice to see them do well (well, not so much this year), but I really couldn't care about it and don't follow it.
Yeah, likewise.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Actualy, thats a plus point the IPL has, gambling.
Lots of money can be lost as well, pretty unpredictable format, with teams often not giving their all at stages.

Intl series rewards greater cricketing knowledge. At least IMO anyway.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Lots of money can be lost as well, pretty unpredictable format, with teams often not giving their all at stages.

Intl series rewards greater cricketing knowledge. At least IMO anyway.
As a punter whose both won and lost considerable amounts on the IPL I have to say it's much harder than international cricket, players clearly don't give it their all some of the time. Also many of the 19yr olds and poorer indian domestic players are incredibly inconsistent and in a t20 game an edgy 20 can make a big difference.

brockley

International Captain
You already have the champions league,it could threaten the southern permier league to start in 2011(sa/aust/nz).
Market is usa and canada maybe.
But standford tried that and failed.
ICC would never give a window for another tournament.
April/may fine summer comps end march.
We all agree internationals in may in england is overkill.
But a 2nd tournament and when.
During the summer cirkcte zone.
Have to fit in icc knockout trophy,20/20 cup and world cups.
Their is not enough time on the timetable.
Aussies got 2 weeks at IPL this year as it was.

Debris

International 12th Man

I have been watching the IPL casually (watched maybe 1 game in 10) but my interest this year has been a lot less than last year. There is novelty value at the moment but it is fading.

T20 at the moment is like a new TV show. It has that new show boost in audience numbers. We will see how popular it really is in 5 years or so. I suspect it will remain popular with Indian viewers but international interest will fade.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
an edgy 20 can make a big difference.
That's the biggest things that's got me, and resulted in some dough disappearing from my pocket this year. A team will have 4 wickets in hand and need 9+ per over but can still get up.

I think live betting on matches especially is dangerous. If you get on before the match, well you go on who you think will win. But during the game there are so many changes in who is on top its unpredictable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Brilliant. Can you please give a link to that article?
I can't find the article. It is on cricinfo some where.

Also, US may not have the largest world population of cricket fans but it certainly has the second biggest online audience.