• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modi hints @ 2 IPL tourneys a year

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
People saying it will be saturation and over kill are missing the point. In India, cricket has inelastic demand which means whatever cricket you give the public, they will watch it. Another tournament gives more money. I hope it doesn't happen though and is a move just to push for a window for the IPL. Two IPLs reduces my interest tremendously. Doesn't mean it won't be a success if it is played.

Last edited:

Smith

Banned
Haha, can't imagine there'd be the greatest of working relationships between the two parties. What happens to the other contract now? Will they sue the IPL?
In case you meant the contract signed in 2008, that is now null and void ab-initio. Major success for Modi there, from 1.1 Billion $ for 10 years to 1.63 Billion $ for 9 years, despite the bloody recession and shift to SA. The guy knows to make his dough.

Smith

Banned
People saying it will be saturation and over kill are missing the point. In India, cricket has inelastic demand which means whatever cricket you give the public, they will watch it. Another tournament gives more money. I hope it doesn't happen though and is a move just to push for a window for the IPL s it reduces interest. Doesn't mean it won't be a success if it is played.
I hoped Champions League would whet Modi's appetite for more money and global audience. Guess I was wrong. What happens to it then? Such a fricking shame if that was tossed into the dustbin for a dilated IPL 2. USA? What a joke!

Edit - Just realised from Google Trends, that the site Cricinfo.com attracts most number of eyeballs from USA of all places after India!
Google Trends for Websites: cricinfo.com

So maybe Modi has identified yet another cash pot there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Edit - Just realised from Google Trends, that the site Cricinfo.com attracts most number of eyeballs from USA of all places after India!
Google Trends for Websites: cricinfo.com

So maybe Modi has identified yet another cash pot there.
Yes, it is pretty commonly known that US has a wide interest in cricket. Cricinfo became a success because they would provide ball by ball scores to guys living in the US and in other places who couldn't watch the cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Truthfully, as much as I wouldn't like to see it, this tournament is way too short to provide any sort of lasting memory or build up that is required of a true professional sports league. I don't know of another league that has a two months season and then goes off for the next ten.

The smarter, though not from a real cricket lover's view, would be to make it one season, but make it like other leagues - about four-five months long. Overseas players can play as much of it as they can.

I don't think the owners would be happy sitting on their ass ten months of the year, fading in the public's memory. It's too short. A real season of five months, plus another month or so for the Champion's League would be the ideal. Two months out of a year is nowhere near oversaturation.

Again, from a IPL's maximization of revenue perspective. From a Test cricket's perspective, we might be screwed already.

Smith

Banned
Truthfully, as much as I wouldn't like to see it, this tournament is way too short to provide any sort of lasting memory or build up that is required of a true professional sports league. I don't know of another league that has a two months season and then goes off for the next ten.

The smarter, though not from a real cricket lover's view, would be to make it one season, but make it like other leagues - about four-five months long. Overseas players can play as much of it as they can.

I don't think the owners would be happy sitting on their ass ten months of the year, fading in the public's memory. It's too short. A real season of five months, plus another month or so for the Champion's League would be the ideal. Two months out of a year is nowhere near oversaturation.

Again, from a IPL's maximization of revenue perspective. From a Test cricket's perspective, we might be screwed already.
5 months of IPL in a single year? Do we have the calendar to accomodate the same? Or will it be filled in with unknown Indian players, and domestic players like Bailey, Henderson etc? Would that not deglamorise it's basic premise of providing all-stars-under-one-roof cricketainment? I'd honestly prefer a single instalment of 2 month long IP, with a window of a month granted by ICC with the Champions League for another 2 weeks just before the start of Aussie domestic season.

Smith

Banned
Yes, it is pretty commonly known that US has a wide interest in cricket. Cricinfo became a success because they would provide ball by ball scores to guys living in the US and in other places who couldn't watch the cricket.
Of course, but the Cricinfo stats show American eyeballs far outweigh visitors from UK and Australia, the traditional powerhouses of cricket. If they are so intent on following cricket half a world away from their places, imagine the interest when they get to see all their stars in their backyard?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Of course, but the Cricinfo stats show American eyeballs far outweigh visitors from UK and Australia, the traditional powerhouses of cricket. If they are so intent on following cricket half a world away from their places, imagine the interest when they get to see all their stars in their backyard?
It is pretty commonly known that US has the biggest audience for cricket after India which you pointed out. It is an untapped market waiting to be tapped for years just like the IPL. IPL would have been a success if it had come 10 years ago. I saw an inter city really succeed and called it much earlier. Mukul Kesavan had done the same in a piece of his.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
5 months of IPL in a single year? Do we have the calendar to accomodate the same? Or will it be filled in with unknown Indian players, and domestic players like Bailey, Henderson etc? Would that not deglamorise it's basic premise of providing all-stars-under-one-roof cricketainment? I'd honestly prefer a single instalment of 2 month long IP, with a window of a month granted by ICC with the Champions League for another 2 weeks just before the start of Aussie domestic season.
Yeah, spot on.

I've had a rethink on the overkill aspect too from a businessman's point of view. Hosting a second IPL in the USA would make business sense without diluting the fan's interest. The 12 hour time zone difference between India and the USA basically means they'd be catering to two mutually exclusive audiences. I'm certainly not going to watch an American IPL with matches at 4 or 8 am my time, and I don't think most of the American audience (well, atleast the sane ones) caught any of the matches from the Indian IPL live at similar times over there. It would definitely affect the other forms of the game though due to time constraints, and that would piss me off.

Smith

Banned
It is pretty commonly known that US has the biggest audience for cricket after India which you pointed out. It is an untapped market waiting to be tapped for years just like the IPL. IPL would have been a success if it had come 10 years ago. I saw an inter city really succeed and called it much earlier. Mukul Kesavan had done the same in a piece of his.
Brilliant. Can you please give a link to that article?

Dissector

International Debutant
Huh? The US most certainly doesn't have the second-largest cricket audience in the world. The total sub-continental population in the US is a few million and almost no one else is interested in cricket.

I agree this will be over-kill particularly if top players are unable to play. But really I am starting to worry about the future of test cricket with this kind of talk.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Huh? The US most certainly doesn't have the second-largest cricket audience in the world. The total sub-continental population in the US is a few million and almost no one else is interested in cricket.

I agree this will be over-kill particularly if top players are unable to play. But really I am starting to worry about the future of test cricket with this kind of talk.

Yeah the US cricket viewing population is tiny, very few expats take the time or go to the trouble of viewing or even following cricket.

Last year the IPL caused me few worries regarding test cricket, and even now I find the IPL even less intimidating because I've realised that even in India such a business is unsustainable on it's present scale, people will get sick of it sooner than later. However what's really worrying me is the attitude of players such as Gayle and Tait who can't really be bothered with test cricket, it's too hard a game for them when they can get a massive payday for a fraction of the work in T20. The fact of the matter is that T20 will become a passing fad, because it is not the whole of the game, it is a tiny section of the game, and any kid who's ever picked up a bat and ball will know that. However the ICC seems too incompetent to preserve test cricket, night tests are frankly a stupid idea. "All" they need to do is stop Bangladesh playing tests, somehow force more sporting pitches the world over and get serious about over rates. Also the referral system is a joke, all it does is create bad blood between players and really undermine an umpires authority on the field. Wouldn't it just be easier to give the umpires the power to radio their buddies upstairs and ask for a second opinon?

Ah if only I was in charge....things would be different...so different *imagines ranks of civilians being forcemarched into stadiums to watch first class cricket by duckfooting soldiers, mandatory polite applause after every 4, richy benaud quotes being blasted from loudspeakers in all public places for an hour every day*

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the US cricket viewing population is tiny, very few expats take the time or go to the trouble of viewing or even following cricket.

Last year the IPL caused me few worries regarding test cricket, and even now I find the IPL even less intimidating because I've realised that even in India such a business is unsustainable on it's present scale, people will get sick of it sooner than later. However what's really worrying me is the attitude of players such as Gayle and Tait who can't really be bothered with test cricket, it's too hard a game for them when they can get a massive payday for a fraction of the work in T20. The fact of the matter is that T20 will become a passing fad, because it is not the whole of the game, it is a tiny section of the game, and any kid who's ever picked up a bat and ball will know that. However the ICC seems too incompetent to preserve test cricket, night tests are frankly a stupid idea. "All" they need to do is stop Bangladesh playing tests, somehow force more sporting pitches the world over and get serious about over rates. Also the referral system is a joke, all it does is create bad blood between players and really undermine an umpires authority on the field. Wouldn't it just be easier to give the umpires the power to radio their buddies upstairs and ask for a second opinon?

Ah if only I was in charge....things would be different...so different *imagines ranks of civilians being forcemarched into stadiums to watch first class cricket by duckfooting soldiers, mandatory polite applause after every 4, richy benaud quotes being blasted from loudspeakers in all public places for an hour every day*
Except for the bit about referrals, I don't think there's a single word here that I don't agree with 100%. Top post.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I'll vote for you

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I wouldn't. That's calls for assasination IMO. Not by me but trust me you'd be hated before long.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Would have thought expanding the league to 12 sides and eventually 16 would be a better way to go.You may not have enough local players to fill the sides, unless you increase the overseas quota or allowed Asian players to play as locals.

Four side would give you another month of cricket and 8 sides would give you another two months.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Plainly there should just be one tournament per year, but it should run 52 weeks

Furball

Evil Scotsman

That was the way forward that was mooted for the EPL - play every Friday night, so that fans can follow their teams throughout an extended season.

For the IPL, it certainly makes plenty of sense. As far as the wider implications go, I'm not sold on it.

Incidentally, this would have been perfect for the proposed EPL. 8 city based franchises, containing the cream of English local talent, combined with the cream of the available international talent. No need to bug the ICC to create a window - the English domestic season pretty much operates in a window of its own.

But no, the ECB are morons sadly.