• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mongoose cricket bat

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Just heard about this today, didn't woodworm do something similar a couple of years back? Anyone seen one in a shop yet? Would love to have a go with one.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
It looks ugly as **** and it wont help batsmen play any better so it will have a limited life IMO.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Well basically would you feel comfortable hooking a quick with that? I wouldn't. Great for front foot shots, but I wouldn't bank on playing too many cross batted shots, any extra bounce and you're in trouble, very unforgiving if you're late or don't pick a slower one too. Also as already stated, it's ugly as f***.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
The angle of the picture is a bit funny, but it does look like Lance Cairn's legendry 'Excalibur.

'

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
yeah it does indeed, this concept isn't really anything new, but the shortening and fattening of the blade is perhaps more extreme than any in the past.

snspring

Cricket Spectator
this mongoose thing does look weird, i must say. but doesn't it look like bats from 200 years ago?

but i'm looking at my MRF bat, and even though i've ok with it - LOADS RUNS ha ha - I've hardly got a ball mark up at the top of the bat near the sticker. maybe theyve got a point. maybe you dont use that bit of a stick too often.

i'll watch out for how many times a bat gets hit today in my match...

snspring

Cricket Spectator
The Mongoose does look a bit like the Excaliber. But the Mongoose has a long handle rather than just a normal blade with cut-off shoulders. This is what makes it work like a golf club with flex and whip in the shaft. it's this that makes it different, from what I've read.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Anyone seen Law in action with it yet? Hit a quickfire 40 in a T20 vs durham today, wonder if it made a big difference.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Just seen highlights on SSN of Law using it yesterday. He switched bats towards the end of his innings, and hit a bit six through the legside. Looked odd stood at the crease with it though.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeh, brought the Mongoose out once he was on 32 iirc, and smashed a huge six with it before getting run out. Wonder why he didn't start his innings with it? =/

snspring

Cricket Spectator
he started off using a bat with a conventional blade, and then swapped for the Mongoose. That's about the time he hit a huge six.

I saw it on Sky Sports News, so it cant be too terrible as a marketing strategy.

tevans

Cricket Spectator
The bat law started with wasn't a normal bat as such, was the 1" shorter blade and longer handle called the CoR3. It's longer than the more famous Mongoose, but it still has the similar technology of the splice inside the handle and a longer handle giving more 'whip'.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well basically would you feel comfortable hooking a quick with that? I wouldn't. Great for front foot shots, but I wouldn't bank on playing too many cross batted shots, any extra bounce and you're in trouble, very unforgiving if you're late or don't pick a slower one too. Also as already stated, it's ugly as f***.
I don't see hooking being that much of a problem. It's still a horizontal bat shot so extra bounce would only make the ball miss the top edge, which would happen with a normal bat anyway - the width of the bat has not been reduced.

The problems would occur when attempting to defend off the back foot. A bit of extra bounce, as you alluded to, could see the ball rise to a level that would be quite dangerous when playing with a vertical bat. A lot of players would get hid in the ribs and chest a lot more as a result.

I'd personally never use one for that reason - I simply wouldn't feel comfortable in defence. I think most if not all international players will feel the same in regards to the prospect of using the bat in First Class cricket, but I can see it becoming quite popular in Twenty20 cricket as the need to play verticle bat shots off the back foot is basically eliminated - top order batsmen don't defend.